Too soon to ask for a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmxpt2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I misunderstood the LOR requirements for one of the schools that I applied to. I submitted a reference from an academic advisor, but they want one from a professor. I used all 4 on PTCAS, but I can still submit another reference to the school directly. I’m currently retaking a prerequisite for a better grade that’s going well and I get along with the professor just fine. I’ve only been in that class for a couple months and feel like it’s too soon to ask for a LOR. Is it?

Members don't see this ad.

I misunderstood the LOR requirements for one of the schools that I applied to. I submitted a reference from an academic advisor, but they want one from a professor. I used all 4 on PTCAS, but I can still submit another reference to the school directly. I’m currently retaking a prerequisite for a better grade that’s going well and I get along with the professor just fine. I’ve only been in that class for a couple months and feel like it’s too soon to ask for a LOR. Is it?

I'm a sort of a 'non traditional' applicant, I majored in Poli Sci in undergrad and had to take all of my pre reqs at a local community college to apply to programs this cycle. I knew I'd need an academic LOR, so I chose a class that was smaller in size so I knew the professor would know me/my academic abilities pretty well by the end of the quarter. I approached the professor early to explain that I was hoping for an LOR just so he could keep this in mind throughout the quarter. Letting them know early will give them more time to notice your attendance/participation and have more anecdotal evidence to personalize your letter! That was my reasoning anyway :)