Questions to ask PT?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confetti&icecream

Reaction score
Howdy!

Okay so I am taking a physical therapist I've been observing out to dinner tomorrow night to look over my application for schools. Then at the end I'll slide in the "do you mind writing a LOR for me." (I feel like I'm going on a date lol) I also plan to ask her questions about applying, her experience in school, and any other questions I have not had a chance to ask while being in the clinic. Do you guys have any questions that you think would be valuable to ask or would like to know the answer to?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
LOL. Never heard of an applicant taking a PT out to a dinner! :)

I did this too with one of my PTs I shadowed! It was great to have her one-on-one to talk about so many topics. I hope the dinner went well for you!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is wonderful as to how you are doing that. In one way you are expressing your gratitude and appreciation for shadowing underneath her so its great!

I know it's well past your dinner date and I hope they said yes, but I wanted to share some networking advice with you. Although I know you meant well, when you network avoid making an ask following an outing. It can sometimes re-frame your intent in a negative way especially since most people don't want to feel like they are being taken advantage of. As a professional you do not EVER want time spent outside the workplace with yourself to be associated with asking favors.

My recommendation for the future: Go to dinner without a plan to ask for any favors or needing anything from them. Do it because you're interested in a genuine professional relationship. If you have an extra ticket to a festival/concert/sport/event invite them out. Take the time to ensure all they have to do is show up and enjoy their time with you. You'll make a lifelong connection and if at some point down the road you need help, they'll be asking what they can do for you.

Update: Dinner went really well! It was a cool experience getting to hear about her experience in a clinic where they treated her really poorly and how she dealt with that. This was a conversation that we would not have been able to have in the clinic due and it was nice to not feel rushed telling each other stories. Also, I think it helped getting to share with her my purpose for pursuing physical therapy and gave her the opportunity to write a higher quality LOR on my behalf. I did this for two different physical therapist I observed and highly recommend taking them out to eat or out to coffee. They both were flattered and willing to revise my PTCAS essay.

I know it's well past your dinner date and I hope they said yes, but I wanted to share some networking advice with you. Although I know you meant well, when you network avoid making an ask following an outing. It can sometimes re-frame your intent in a negative way especially since most people don't want to feel like they are being taken advantage of. As a professional you do not EVER want time spent outside the workplace with yourself to be associated with asking favors.

My recommendation for the future: Go to dinner without a plan to ask for any favors or needing anything from them. Do it because you're interested in a genuine professional relationship. If you have an extra ticket to a festival/concert/sport/event invite them out. Take the time to ensure all they have to do is show up and enjoy their time with you. You'll make a lifelong connection and if at some point down the road you need help, they'll be asking what they can do for you.

Hey Galain,

That's a really good point. I really like that and think overall that would be more beneficial in the long run.