too little too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sums

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm pretty new here so forgive me. I'm sorry if this is lengthy as well!

So let me start with a little intro:
I always wanted to be a doctor as a teen (specifically orthopaedic surgery) but thought it was "too gross" and stressful, so I started undergrad as pre-pharm thinking it'd be less gross and I'd have more of a family life. It just wasn't fulfilling for me. I volunteered in clinical settings with patient care for 4 months but I just didn't like it as much as I expected. I only did average in bio 1/2, chem 1, calc, neuroscience, entomology, ecology, stats, food science - about half B's, half A's and 2 C's. I decided on a complete whim (with much family pressuring) to go in the direction of patent law/pharmaceutical law instead.

Last fall (fall of my junior year), I took chem 2 along with several other classes while taking the LSAT twice. During this time I had some serious sickness in my immediate family including brain cancer, heart failure, etc. I FAILED chem and had a 2.3 gpa overall for the semester, though I scored 99th percentile on the LSAT.

Basically, my step-mom died in February and it really reminded me of the passion I had for med school. I always thought it was too gross for me, but I started shadowing in the ER/OR and LOVED it. Definitely unexpected!! The more I consider law school, the more I absolutely dread it.

So here's my problem:
Taking the MCAT in August- studying hard now and throughout the summer
My cGPA is about a 3.5
my BPCM is barely a 3.1 (due to my F- my sGPA for DO is almost a 3.5)
My extracurriculars are filled with leadership, work during UG in prof positions, TONS of volunteering and mentoring underprivileged kids, service work, etc
However, I only started shadowing in April.
-I'm shadowing anesthesiologists, neurologists & cardiologists~10 hrs a week all summer and fall
-Doing research ~10-15 hrs a week through December
-Volunteering at an equal access clinic ~5 hrs/week throughout the summer and hopefully fall (actually doing clinical work with patient access)
-Volunteering in a hospital ER ~5 hrs/week this summer/fall

I have yet to take organic chem and am taking physics in the summer as well as retaking chem 2.

My question is:
1. Is there ANY chance I could apply this fall? ANY? Even lower tier or DO? I know apps open in June, and I know I'd be taking the MCAT late (august). Is it a risk worth taking? Could they possibly overlook my F and realize I have potential and would otherwise have a decent BPCM? Would I be screened out immediately or is there any chance I could float by long enough to upgrade with fall grades (which I expect to be high and will have completed orgo by then)?
2. Will I even have a chance applying next year? Will they frown upon the fact even then I'll only have a year of research, shadowing, clinical experience, etc? Especially considering my BPCM still won't be to a 3.5 even if I receive all A's in the fall.

Thanks for all your help and sorry this is so long!

Members don't see this ad.