Too late for HPSP? 1st yr. dental student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparklecitydent

SpArKlEcItYdEnT
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 1st year dental student at MUSC just about halfway through with my Spring semester (time flies!) and am very interested in applying for an HPSP. Do I still have the opportunity to apply for an HPSP even though I will probably have to apply for the next cycle (during my 2nd year?). I think the AF only offers 3 and 4 yr. scholarships so that is out of the question, but what about the Army and Navy? Can I apply for a 2 year HPSP? Obviously one of my main concerns is paying back student loans, if I get some sort of HPSP for my remaining time in dschool, can I serve extra time to have my 1st and 2nd years paid off as well??? Sorry, I am just trying to figure this whole process out. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 1st year dental student at MUSC just about halfway through with my Spring semester (time flies!) and am very interested in applying for an HPSP. Do I still have the opportunity to apply for an HPSP even though I will probably have to apply for the next cycle (during my 2nd year?). I think the AF only offers 3 and 4 yr. scholarships so that is out of the question, but what about the Army and Navy? Can I apply for a 2 year HPSP? Obviously one of my main concerns is paying back student loans, if I get some sort of HPSP for my remaining time in dschool, can I serve extra time to have my 1st and 2nd years paid off as well??? Sorry, I am just trying to figure this whole process out. Thanks for your help.

I think you even have time for 3 yr scholarship (at least in the Navy):
"The student’s benefit start date, determines the initial semester/term for which tuition will be paid by the Navy. If the benefit start date is in the middle of a semester/term, the Navy will pay the tuition for the entire semester/term. If a student paid the tuition for the semester/term prior to entering the HPSP/FAP program, the Navy will pay the school for the tuition for that semester/term. Once the school receives the Navy’s tuition payment, the student should request a refund for the tuition paid by the student directly from the school. "

you have time till december to get paperwork done, and have 2nd, 3rd and 4th years tuition paid by the Navy.

you can apply and get picked up for the 3 yr scholarship. Also once you have graduated and are in the Army you can apply for loan repayment for a total of 4 combined years HPSP/loan repayment (if you did 3 yrs HPSP you can do 1 yr loan repayment) if you don't mind serving a little extra.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you even have time for 3 yr scholarship (at least in the Navy):
"The student’s benefit start date, determines the initial semester/term for which tuition will be paid by the Navy. If the benefit start date is in the middle of a semester/term, the Navy will pay the tuition for the entire semester/term. If a student paid the tuition for the semester/term prior to entering the HPSP/FAP program, the Navy will pay the school for the tuition for that semester/term. Once the school receives the Navy’s tuition payment, the student should request a refund for the tuition paid by the student directly from the school. "

you have time till december to get paperwork done, and have 2nd, 3rd and 4th years tuition paid by the Navy.

Kalvydas, where did you get this information from? This is basically my exact scenario and this would be amazing if legit.

My recruiter told me I probably wouldnt be able to get commissioned until FY 2010, in October, and I figured I would be out of luck in regards to next semester's tuition.

Thanks in advance.

Kalvydas, where did you get this information from? This is basically my exact scenario and this would be amazing if legit.

My recruiter told me I probably wouldnt be able to get commissioned until FY 2010, in October, and I figured I would be out of luck in regards to next semester's tuition.

Thanks in advance.

Same for Army + you can get loan repayment(40k) once you graduate for the 1st year also.