Dental HPSP Class of 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigDreams3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not see a HPSP thread for the class of 2027. I figured this would be helpful for future military applicants as well as current applying students. Does anyone have a timeline for the release of the Navy results? Also if you have heard back from any of the branches it may be helpful to post your results!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this! Hoping in the next couple of weeks for navy. Board was still in session as of Feb 23rd

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an answer from the army and unfortunately I got OML. I hope that they can pull my name from the list before I start Dental school.

• Care
Definitely anxious too! My recruiter said sometime in March, so hoping to hear back in the next couple of weeks...

For what it's worth, I have been doing a deep dive into past boards and it looks like it takes them exactly a month from February from when the boards begin. With that said, we should expect results this week hopefully by Friday! Again, this is just speculation based on years prior and what I have seen.

Has anyone heard anything yet? Or does anyone know if the board is even still in session?

Reactions: 1 users
Last I heard from my recruiter who has put lots of people through Navy HPSP "The end of March." Please post when y'all hear something because I am already stressed after the application process

Last edited:
Last I heard from my recruiter who has put lots of people through Navy HPSP "The end of March. Please post when y'all hear something because I am already stressed after the application process
Hmmm that seems pretty extreme just based on the amount of time it took for the last several navy hpsps. But I guess who really knows at this point. My recruiter said she believes it will be out this week

Hmmm that seems pretty extreme just based on the amount of time it took for the last several navy hpsps. But I guess who really knows at this point. My recruiter said she believes it will be out this week
That would be awesome lol so two more days??

Ya I have this gut feeling it is going to be released Friday. I just could not understand why they would need 6 weeks to do all this. Also, the past two navy hpsps have been released at almost exactly a month from board meeting date.

Ya I have this gut feeling it is going to be released Friday. I just could not understand why they would need 6 weeks to do all this. Also, the past two navy hpsps have been released at almost exactly a month from board meeting date.
anything???

Members don't see this ad :)
You should contact your recruiter and ask about the results. In order for me to find out of my results I had to ask my recruiter. I was OML for the army.
OML? Also I just asked mine earlier this week about navy and he said end of March

Alright, folks its a new week. Hopefully we hear something this Friday!

Someone posted in a Facebook group that results are out for the Navy??? Have y’all heard anything?

My recruiter just let me know! I’d contact your recruiter if they haven’t reached out to you yet because results are officially out.

Just got the call an hour ago from my Navy recruiter!

I got the call from Navy and was put on the alternate list as well. I will be accepting the Army 4 year scholarship instead. Congratulations to everyone who was selected!

I just got accepted for the Navy HPSP! I also got the Army HPSP and now I am a little conflicted about what to choose. Anyone have any helpful insight or threads you could point me to?

Was offered the 4 year scholarship, and I will be accepting it! Congrats to everyone!

So what if your recruiter has completely ghosted you all day lol asking for a friend :):)

I just got accepted for the Navy HPSP! I also got the Army HPSP and now I am a little conflicted about what to choose. Anyone have any helpful insight or threads you could point me to?
I'm having the same problem currently, although I'm leaning toward the Navy. I'm not looking forward to the awkward phone call I'm gonna have to make to decline one of them.

Hey guys! I got the call yesterday.
I started a GroupMe for the Navy HPSP:

'NAVY HPSP [Class of 2027]' on GroupMe. Click here to join:

I would give them a call! Never hurts to do so. My recruiter did not even call me first, I had to call.
Just got the call:( It was my undergrad GPA. But D1 GPA should help for the next go around. Congrats all!

For those that got the Army and Navy scholarship, which are you choosing and why? Leaning more towards Army but want to hear from others!

For those that got the Army and Navy scholarship, which are you choosing and why? Leaning more towards Army but want to hear from others!

In the same situation rn. Below are some of the info I gleaned (correct me if I’m wrong)

Army

•Biggest branch hence has the most specialty spots (but has to snowbird for a year after graduating DS)
•Locations are more diverse (but also means more undesirable locations)
•Fewer deployments, but usually longer if deployed (as of now)
•Can only military residency
•I read that BOLC has more actual “military” stuff? And that you will learn how to act as impromptu secondary commander
•Officers and enlisted mingle more
•Facilities are typically more dated

Navy

•Cares for both the Navy and the Marines
•ODS is like “fork & knife” school (if someone can I’d like to hear the difference between ODS and BOLC)
•Possible to directly match into residency right out of DS.
•Possible to do FTOS (active duty but full time civilian residency, incurs further payback)
•Nicer location (mainly coastal but I heard you either end up on a carrier or a submarine as dentist? There are still ****ty ones ofc)
•Newer facilities in general
•Officers seem to get more respect

The rank system for the two are different in terms of names but the pay is identical. I personally lean towards Navy because of location (closer to family and/or partner). Would love to hear more about this as we have until the 31st to decide.

I'm having the same problem currently, although I'm leaning toward the Navy. I'm not looking forward to the awkward phone call I'm gonna have to make to decline one of them.
Same here, leaning more Navy.

I heard dentists are treated much better in the Navy and the quality of everything is just better. Better locations, easier and shorter officer training, good work schedule, shorter deployments (ship at sea), and all the Navy dentists I've spoken to so far have all extended their contracts. Recruiter said lots of dentists end up shoreside in a clinic and never have to go operational in their 4 years of payback.

Same here, leaning more Navy.

I heard dentists are treated much better in the Navy and the quality of everything is just better. Better locations, easier and shorter officer training, good work schedule, shorter deployments (ship at sea), and all the Navy dentists I've spoken to so far have all extended their contracts. Recruiter said lots of dentists end up shoreside in a clinic and never have to go operational in their 4 years of payback.
I wouldn't bank on the not going operational part. There was a cut in billets a couple years back and so really I have heard that you should expect to go operational, deploy, or be with a MEU for about 2 years of your 4 year payback.

Reactions: 2 users
I can only speak for the Navy (I did my 4 years and extended 3 more). Please see comments below(highlighted)
In the same situation rn. Below are some of the info I gleaned (correct me if I’m wrong)

Army

•Biggest branch hence has the most specialty spots (but has to snowbird for a year after graduating DS)
•Locations are more diverse (but also means more undesirable locations)
•Fewer deployments, but usually longer if deployed (as of now)
•Can only military residency
•I read that BOLC has more actual “military” stuff? And that you will learn how to act as impromptu secondary commander
•Officers and enlisted mingle more
•Facilities are typically more dated

Navy

•Cares for both the Navy and the Marines(Upon your credentialing tour/AEGD/GPR(1-year orders) you will go to your operational tour(2-year orders). This is where you could be stationed in a carrier(multiple dentists), One-holer(smaller ship with one dentist), or Marines(overseas or in the US). For the ships you could either be assigned to one that is docked in port(for maintenance/repair/etc), one that is getting ready for deployment(6-8 months on average) or one that is in the middle of deployment(you will be flown-in to the ship). You could ask your detailer for a specific ship but that is not always guaranteed. As far as the marines you could be deployed to do small exercises(to overseas or other location to do non-dentistry stuff), hikes(4-6 miles with equipments). The exercises are normally short 1-3 months(marines rarely stay for long in the same area). Also, each year one of the marine battalion dentists will need to volunteer to go on the MEU(1-year orders). Basically you'll be going in and out of the ship but rarely stay afloat for more than 2-3 weeks. The most popular destinations for marine billets are in lejeune, 29 palms, and okinawa. What I mentioned above is the most likely scenario. But I have seen people get shore duty or do their operational tour starting their 3rd year but usually they have some sort of extenuating circumstances(medical condition, etc). Also this only applies to general dentists. Orthodontists, orofacial pain, endodontists, prosthodontists, public health, operative dentists, pediatric dentists don't go on ships but they(pros, perio) can still be assigned with the marines(although they won't be on the MEU). OS have one year orders on ships and comprehensive dentists for 2-years.
•ODS is like “fork & knife” school (if someone can I’d like to hear the difference between ODS and BOLC)(I loved my time in ODS. One of the best experiences in my life. I made a lot of friends there(my roommate was a chaplain and he was cracking jokes like crazy and I couldn't stop laughing)
•Possible to directly match into residency right out of DS(this varies by residency but in general yes. I would say the only residencies you have the highest shot of getting in to straight from school would be OS, comprehensive dentistry, and pros. Perio/Endo are a bit harder to get into straight from school but not impossible. Pros is not very hard to match into.
•Possible to do FTOS (active duty but full time civilian residency, incurs further payback)(yes only for OS, operative dentistry, and Pedo. You will also collect full salary and have your tuition paid for).
•Nicer location (mainly coastal but I heard you either end up on a carrier or a submarine as dentist? There are still ****ty ones ofc)(This is very subjective matter. What one finds to be nice may suck for another. I personally think camp lejeune sucks and rather be overseas in okinawa, mainland japan, guam, or bahrain). And no we don't have dentists on submarines(lol where did you hear this from?)
•Newer facilities in general(I have only been in the Navy so not sure)
•Officers seem to get more respect(I would say we do less military things than the Army. I have a friend who is in the army and he definitely does more non-dentistry stuff than us).

The rank system for the two are different in terms of names but the pay is identical. I personally lean towards Navy because of location (closer to family and/or partner). Would love to hear more about this as we have until the 31st to decide.(good decision :)

I can only speak for the Navy (I did my 4 years and extended 3 more). Please see comments below(highlighted)
Is it possible to do FTOS residency directly after dental school? I'm specifically interested in pedo right now

It’s not impossible but they don’t normally select people straight from school. Also, I think they are starting to cut pedo billets in the military(they’re not selecting anyone this year)

Those who received the Army HPSP, have you received any information about further forms to complete or when you have to decide by?

Those who received the Army HPSP, have you received any information about further forms to complete or when you have to decide by?

lol we might have the same recruiter. Mine just told me that additional paperwork is incoming and never updated me with anything since

lol we might have the same recruiter. Mine just told me that additional paperwork is incoming and never updated me with anything since

Yeah lol recruiter hasn't even replied to my texts. Navy stuff is due the 31st so at this point I might as well do Navy than keep waiting for answers from the Army

I wonder if there is a due date to accept Navy HPSP? Or the date that everything has to be done?

Finally had the “breakup” phone call with my Army recruiter. Go Navy! :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users