To waterloo applicants

optgurl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I just took my oat and totally messed up on the RC part (320 :mad:), but my overall score was 330 (still :mad:). This is my first time applying to Optometry at waterloo, and was wondering if anyone knew how competitive it is at waterloo (seeing that its the only school in canada offering optometry), is my oat score gonna be a real downer?? Is there anyone who has gotten accepted into waterloo with a low oat score?? i really wish canada had more than 1 school with optometry lol:eek:......oh, and my g.p.a. is around 82.5%ish

Members don't see this ad.

well the average OAT score to get in last year was 370, and the year before that 360. But just remember that half of the people accepted were below those scores! Just make sure you have lots of shadowing hours so you can impress them on your interview!:thumbup:

hey andrea are you a waterloo student? hmm i would email them and ask them about it

btw there are two optometry schools in canada- universite de montreal and waterloo so you do have a choice depends if you will learn french to go to montreal for it but most of downtown montreal is anglo but of course quebecers hate that..... hehehe

hmmm they changed their system a bit this year but i am not sure what our chances are if we are not

ontario residents + waterloo grad + with a gpa higher than 3.9 and oat higher than 370 and with some optometry experience.....

Hey,

Yeah I was considering applying to the Montreal University Optometry, but considering the last time I took french was in grade 11.....not sure how that's gonna work out hehe:rolleyes:. BTW, Is the program taught in english or french ( I just assumed in french...)???? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
c'est comme ca- quand on es en montreal, on parle en francais, on pense en francais et oui, universite de montreal- c;est certainment en francais!!!

mais tous les livres ou presque la plupart des livres sont en anglais et apparement des etudiants qui viennent des etats unis!!! donc tu auras des amis....

gosh my writing is terrible lol......

yeah the books are in english but they obviously teach in french and they let you in even if you suck in french but you have to pass this french exam that even native francophones can't even pass on the first try.......

From what I have been told by waterloo and their alums, being a waterloo grad or an ontario resident don't give you an advantage. THe numbers just work out that way because people from ontario generally want to go to waterloo and a lot of canadians from the west coast go to schools like pacific.

As far as yoru stats go, I don't think it would be a bad idea to think about taking the OAT again. Most people improve their second time. Waterloo admitts a much higher gpas and oats then the american schools do.

I'm REALLY interested to know how much the OAT actually counts for. For dental schools for example, the DAT counts for 10% - 40% (dont quote me!).

Waterloo doesnt seem to know how much it counts for themselves! Nor do they know what respective school grades.

For example...what is an "A" vs an A+ in terms of percentages!?