To do or not to do: Post-Bac programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I do postbac

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ssha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of completing a postbac program during my gap year but I've heard a lot of horror stories!

Can anyone shine some light on the pros and cons? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking of completing a postbac program during my gap year but I've heard a lot of horror stories!

Do you mean a research post bacc or premed coursework?

Is your sGPA low? MCAT good? Decent ECs?

Did you do poorly on or not take all of the required science courses?

Those are the first questions that come to my mind as to why someone would need to improve their stats with a post bacc and I would need at least those answered before I could enthusiastically say one or the other.

I can definitely say this though: only apply once you're 100% ready with your best application possible.

More reading here: Is a Post-Bacc Program Right for Me? Seven Benefits to Consider

Any good one emulates the difficulty of an M1 curriculum. Getting a 3.5 or better, preferably better, and having a good MCAT often works out for people. That said, it's not easy. Mine was 15 credits for both semesters and it's not that the material was difficult (except for some biochem which went into much greater detail than they go over in medical school), but it was the sheer volume of information you needed to learn in such a short time. It's really a last chance type deal cause if you don't do well, there isn't really anything left you can do to prove to medical schools that you can handle such an intense curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean a research post bacc or premed coursework?

Is your sGPA low? MCAT good? Decent ECs?

Did you do poorly on or not take all of the required science courses?

Those are the first questions that come to my mind as to why someone would need to improve their stats with a post bacc and I would need at least those answered before I could enthusiastically say one or the other.

I can definitely say this though: only apply once you're 100% ready with your best application possible.

More reading here: Is a Post-Bacc Program Right for Me? Seven Benefits to Consider

Thanks for the reply. Well my Lizzy score is a 65 so i'm a pretty average applicant. I've only received two Cs and they were in upper level bio classes. All my other required science classes, I have As and Bs.
I wanted to do a post bacc because I have to take a gap and I don't want med schools to think I haven't done anything during that time.

Any good one emulates the difficulty of an M1 curriculum. Getting a 3.5 or better, preferably better, and having a good MCAT often works out for people. That said, it's not easy. Mine was 15 credits for both semesters and it's not that the material was difficult (except for some biochem which went into much greater detail than they go over in medical school), but it was the sheer volume of information you needed to learn in such a short time. It's really a last chance type deal cause if you don't do well, there isn't really anything left you can do to prove to medical schools that you can handle such an intense curriculum.

That's really good advice. Thanks. So for someone with average stats would you recommend staying away?

What specifically are your GPA/MCAT? A gap year doesn't need to have a post-bacc if your stats are decent - you could pump up volunteering, clinical employment hours, researh, etc.

What specifically are your GPA/MCAT? A gap year doesn't need to have a post-bacc if your stats are decent - you could pump up volunteering, clinical employment hours, researh, etc.
mcat 508 gpa 3.5

mcat 508 gpa 3.5

Those are decent stats. You could apply to practically any DO school and your state MD schools. I don't know how much an post-bacc or SMP would help you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also, in a post from a few months ago you mention a 3.0 sGPA, is that accurate? If so you absolutely need to look into raising your numbers, a 3.0 sGPA / 30 MCAT has slim odds for most.

Reactions: 1 user
By saying you want to do it during your "gap year" implies you will have applied to medical school before your program begins, rendering the program pretty useless. If you decide to do it, I recommend applying the summer after you've completed a post-bacc year so that you actually have a years worth of new grades on your transcript. So this means two years between graduating college and beginning medical school.

Also, in a post from a few months ago you mention a 3.0 sGPA, is that accurate? If so you absolutely need to look into raising your numbers, a 3.0 sGPA / 30 MCAT has slim odds for most.

Yes my sGPA is low unfortunately because of some hard upper level bio classes. That's another reason I don't know if I should do a post bacc. What if I do even worse. I constantly hear horror stories.

By saying you want to do it during your "gap year" implies you will have applied to medical school before your program begins, rendering the program pretty useless. If you decide to do it, I recommend applying the summer after you've completed a post-bacc year so that you actually have a years worth of new grades on your transcript. So this means two years between graduating college and beginning medical school.

Actually, I've heard people say you can update your grades. So once the fall semester grades come in, I could let the Medschools know.

Thanks everyone for the comments by the way!

Yes my sGPA is low unfortunately because of some hard upper level bio classes. That's another reason I don't know if I should do a post bacc. What if I do even worse. I constantly hear horror stories.
With a 3.0 sGPA you don't really have a choice but to do post-bacc, unless you are in a big enough rush to aim DO only and potentially go to one of the newer/less established ones

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, I've heard people say you can update your grades. So once the fall semester grades come in, I could let the Medschools know.
While that's true, that usually only works for people who have competitive GPA's to begin with. Without a clearer idea of your stats it's hard to give the best advice.

~3.0 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA, 508 MCAT

100% absolutely needs repair on that sGPA
In that case I would definitely have a whole year of new grades before applying. I did the whole "update with just semester grades" thing in 2015 and rejected, but accepted to the same school one year later with 20 PB credits.

In that case I would definitely have a whole year of new grades before applying. I did the whole "update with just semester grades" thing in 2015 and rejected, but accepted to the same school one year later with 20 PB credits.
~3.0 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA, 508 MCAT

100% absolutely needs repair on that sGPA

hmm thanks guys