To gap or not to gap - advice appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunsenburner66

Reaction score
(Please don't quote)

Hello all,
I'll (try) to keep it short.

Here's the numbers:
ORM white guy at top 50 school.
3.896 cgpa / 3.87 sgpa, no MCAT

Activities [CURRENT]:
309 hours of clinical volunteering in hospital 1
104 hours of clinical volunteering at hospital 2
72 hours as an EMT attendant (will explain further)
50 hours of shadowing (no primary care YET)
380 hours of research in translational research
140 hours of leadership in an extremely niche organization/club
142 hours of TAing for chemistry
16 hours of volunteering for an animal rights organization

Activities [CURRENT + PROJECTED by next cycle]:
686 hours of clinical volunteering in hospital 1
208 at hospital 2
200 hours as an EMT attendant
77 hours of shadowing
748 hours of research
300 hours of leadership
300 hours TA
70 hours of volunteering (animal rights + MealsOnWheels)

Here's the situation:
Because of AP classes + the fact that I have that dawg in me/a literal grinder, I'm going to be graduating in the Spring of 2024 (3 years instead of 4). As such, I'm taking pretty credit-intensive semester loads for Fall 2023 and Spring 2024. I have no issue with this and am confident I can do well - I have been doing it the past few semesters and have excelled with balancing everything. What I am not as confident in is studying for the MCAT during these semesters, on top of other extracurriculars I do during the school year (volunteering 4/hrs a week at hospital 2, research 12/hrs a week to complete major requirements, 8.5/hrs a week TAing, and 5/hrs a week doing leadership for niche club).

I tried explaining to my parents (who want me to apply on-cycle to matriculate without any gap years) that a gap year would be better for a multitude of reasons, but also in getting a better MCAT to ensure I wouldn't have to reapply. My parents don't think being a reapplicant or a retaker for the MCAT would put me at a disadvantage, and I don't know how to explain it to them differently.

Also, a gap year job could help me strengthen my application weaknesses and give me a huge monetary safety net.

Unrelated - I'm unsure if I should continue being an EMT attendant. I haven't had an EMT class yet but my station lets me ride and go on calls because I have my BLS CPR certification. Is this experience worth continuing? I love doing it but the uncertainty comes from if schools will look at this as not as good as being an EMT or dismiss it altogether.

Alright, situation over. Any and all advice is appreciated <3

Members don't see this ad.

Are you scheduled to take the MCAT this summer ?

Not yet - I haven’t began studying or anything like that. I’m waiting to see what people say about my situation to start planning for it/if I should wait until my gap (if it’s necessary).

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not possible to apply this year unless you have taken the MCAT no later than July. By default you will be applying a year from now assuming that you have taken the MCAT by next June and have actual score on your application.

(Please don't quote)

Hello all,
I'll (try) to keep it short.

Here's the numbers:
ORM white guy at top 50 school.
3.896 cgpa / 3.87 sgpa, no MCAT

Activities [CURRENT]:
309 hours of clinical volunteering in hospital 1
104 hours of clinical volunteering at hospital 2
72 hours as an EMT attendant (will explain further)
50 hours of shadowing (no primary care YET)
380 hours of research in translational research
140 hours of leadership in an extremely niche organization/club
142 hours of TAing for chemistry
16 hours of volunteering for an animal rights organization

Activities [CURRENT + PROJECTED by next cycle]:
686 hours of clinical volunteering in hospital 1
208 at hospital 2
200 hours as an EMT attendant
77 hours of shadowing
748 hours of research
300 hours of leadership
300 hours TA
70 hours of volunteering (animal rights + MealsOnWheels)

Here's the situation:
Because of AP classes + the fact that I have that dawg in me/a literal grinder, I'm going to be graduating in the Spring of 2024 (3 years instead of 4). As such, I'm taking pretty credit-intensive semester loads for Fall 2023 and Spring 2024. I have no issue with this and am confident I can do well - I have been doing it the past few semesters and have excelled with balancing everything. What I am not as confident in is studying for the MCAT during these semesters, on top of other extracurriculars I do during the school year (volunteering 4/hrs a week at hospital 2, research 12/hrs a week to complete major requirements, 8.5/hrs a week TAing, and 5/hrs a week doing leadership for niche club).

I tried explaining to my parents (who want me to apply on-cycle to matriculate without any gap years) that a gap year would be better for a multitude of reasons, but also in getting a better MCAT to ensure I wouldn't have to reapply. My parents don't think being a reapplicant or a retaker for the MCAT would put me at a disadvantage, and I don't know how to explain it to them differently.

Also, a gap year job could help me strengthen my application weaknesses and give me a huge monetary safety net.

Unrelated - I'm unsure if I should continue being an EMT attendant. I haven't had an EMT class yet but my station lets me ride and go on calls because I have my BLS CPR certification. Is this experience worth continuing? I love doing it but the uncertainty comes from if schools will look at this as not as good as being an EMT or dismiss it altogether.

Alright, situation over. Any and all advice is appreciated <3
Take a gap year. You'll have a saner life and stronger application. Also, while you seem quite mature, schools may thing of you as less mature because you appear to be a year younger than most college graduates at a time when more and more med school matriculants are starting med school after taking a gap year or two.

Also, I might be missing it, but I don't see a lot of service to the underserved as in underserved people. I think you should somehow add that to your schedule even if that means a reduction in something else. Perhaps drop one of the hospital volunteer positions and dedicate some time to serving the underserved, unless your clinical volunteering is exactly that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It is not possible to apply this year unless you have taken the MCAT no later than July. By default you will be applying a year from now assuming that you have taken the MCAT by next June and have actual score on your application.

Sorry, I should’ve been more clear. I’m asking about my situation in advance (applying the May 2024 cycle vs May 2025 cycle). The May 2024 cycle would be applying “on track” with graduation vs the May 2025 cycle would be after a hypothetical gap year.

Take a gap year. You'll have a saner life and stronger application. Also, while you seem quite mature, schools may thing of you as less mature because you appear to be a year younger than most college graduates at a time when more and more med school matriculants are starting med school when after taking a gap year.

Also, I might be missing it, but I don't see a lot of service to the underserved as in underserved people. I think you should somehow add that to your schedule even if that means a reduction in something else. Perhaps drop one of the hospital volunteer positions and dedicate some time to serving the underserved, unless your clinical volunteering is exactly that.

Yeah, fantastic point about age. I’ll be 20 when I graduate college and start my application in May of 2024 vs 21 in May of 2025.

Hospital 1 is at a Veterans Affairs hospital, which actually encouraged me to become a physician. Not sure if this counts, but most of the Veterans we see are minorities, within lower income brackets, homeless, LGBTQIA+, or have other social determinants that I think (?) should quality as serving the underserved. Regardless, I plan to make it an integral part of my app. Let me know what you think about this.

In addition to the Veterans Affairs hospital, I plan to start volunteering at my local MealsOnWheels chapter soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Then definitely take a gap year. By the way, you will need a lot more in the non-clinical community service area. You should get at least 150 hours with Meals on Wheels to avoid getting screened out at most schools.

Get certified as an EMT. It shows growth.

Network with the admissions staff at your in-state programs.

Reactions: 2 users
Take a gap year. With your work ethic, I’m sure you can study and do very well on the MCAT, which will be great for your application. Continue non-clinical volunteering with the underserved.

Yeah, fantastic point about age. I’ll be 20 when I graduate college and start my application in May of 2024 vs 21 in May of 2025.

Hospital 1 is at a Veterans Affairs hospital, which actually encouraged me to become a physician. Not sure if this counts, but most of the Veterans we see are minorities, within lower income brackets, homeless, LGBTQIA+, or have other social determinants that I think (?) should quality as serving the underserved. Regardless, I plan to make it an integral part of my app. Let me know what you think about this.

In addition to the Veterans Affairs hospital, I plan to start volunteering at my local MealsOnWheels chapter soon.
Highlighting your service to the underserved as part of your clinical volunteering is a very good idea. Still volunteering at Meals on Wheels will really strengthen that part of your app, as @Mr.Smile12 recommends .

I'm sure your parents mean well and want what's best for you. (I have adult children too.) However, applying is time-consuming, emotionally draining, and expensive. It is an investment of time, money, and energy. I've been a med school admissions consultant for 25 years, and I've interviewed many, many med school admissions deans and directors. Make that investment when you are more likely to see a positive return.

You will be in a so much better position in terms of your MCAT prep, age, life style, financial preparation, and experiential requirements if you take that gap year. Plus while there is really no downside to applying a second time, the law of diminishing returns sets in if you apply a 3rd or 4th time. I certainly don't anticipate that happening given what you've written above, but you will still be at the younger end of the applicant pool if you take one gap year. And you will have lots and lots of competition whenever you apply.

Again I recommend the gap year. You'll just be in a better position.

Not yet - I haven’t began studying or anything like that. I’m waiting to see what people say about my situation to start planning for it/if I should wait until my gap (if it’s necessary).
Being that it's nearly July and you haven't begun to prepare for the MCAT, applying in hopes of matriculating without a gap year is just not a realistic option. I would do some research regarding the typical timeline for Medical School applications. The MCAT requires months of intense, focused preparation in which you're not only reviewing content but also taking numerous practice tests and completing hundreds of practice questions. If you were to start studying today, you could possibly be prepared to take the MCAT on the last date available this year, which is in September, but you're far, far better off waiting until next year to take the MCAT and apply. I would also suggest considering putting off your graduation if your increased classload is going to negatively impact your ability to properly study for the MCAT and take it no later than July of next year.

As many have said, take the gap year. MCAT is not something you can prepare for the next following month, and even then it’s considered extremely late, putting you at a disadvantage without stellar EC’s to boost your application to your state MD schools.

Improve your EC’s, especially in community service and ensure that your 70+ hours of shadowing involve at least 50+ hours of primary care based shadowing (FM/IM/Pediatrics).

Reactions: 1 user
Take a gap year!
Travel abroad ( go on a medical outreach trip)
Do something you’ve never done
Grow your relationship with your family
Take a break.
A gap year can benefit you in so many ways.

Reactions: 3 users