To anyone and everyone thinking about medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ducam

Pearl Diver
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK so i've been around this board for a long time in comparison to a lot of other people. Well I am a freshman in college and I knew I was going to be a doctor. I've been planing and think about it forever it seems. Then I realized I can't do chemistry. (Hell no one can but whatca going to do) I enjoy science, but I LOVE other things as well and I am second guessing if being a doctor is what I want to do. I mean that means no time to do anything out of science for at least 4 years. What I am saying to all the young members on here is to find out what you want to do istead of doing math or science. I found out I really like economics in school and that science doesn't appeal to me so much. Just think about it and please listen to the people older then you on the board I know they've gone through 80 times the **** a hs kid has. Just my speal.

Members don't see this ad.

(Hell no one can but whatca going to do)
...i'm just curious to what this is supposed to mean. self defense mechanism?

Originally posted by ducam
OK so i've been around this board for a long time in comparison to a lot of other people. Well I am a freshman in college and I knew I was going to be a doctor. I've been planing and think about it forever it seems. Then I realized I can't do chemistry. (Hell no one can but whatca going to do) I enjoy science, but I LOVE other things as well and I am second guessing if being a doctor is what I want to do. I mean that means no time to do anything out of science for at least 4 years. What I am saying to all the young members on here is to find out what you want to do istead of doing math or science. I found out I really like economics in school and that science doesn't appeal to me so much. Just think about it and please listen to the people older then you on the board I know they've gone through 80 times the **** a hs kid has. Just my speal.

The trick to choosing a career is knowing the everyday activities of an occupation. Interview a doctor, a lawyer, a salesman, an accountant, etc. Volunteer at a hospital. Then decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm not suggesting that medicine or any other career is right for you, but you're incorrect about college being entirely taken up with science courses. assuming you take 5 courses/semester over a four-year period, that leaves you with 40 courses. most med schools require 2 bio/chem/ochem/phys with lab and maybe calculus or an english course. that still leaves you with between 50-75% of your schedule open depending on how you work out lab courses. i majored in anthro, i have enough credits to minor in psych and if i had any interest, i could declare a bio major and a chem minor... and while my schedule has been fairly rigorous, it's been due entirely to my own choices.

I am second guessing if being a doctor is what I want to do

It sounds to me like your second guessing whether or not you CAN as opposed to wanting to become a doctor as you have said you aren't very good at Chemistry. Have a little confidence in yourself, pull up the bootstraps and work a little harder.

second guessing is fine. Take a step back. That's what I did, and I stepped right back on 3 years later, a bit more confident for the wear.

Your 4 yrs of college will not and should not be entirely composed of math and science. Taking the required prereqs is all that is needed to get into med school and do well on the MCAT. I am a human bio major and have taken abunch of business, anthropology, and sociology classes...as well as other nonsciencess that i can't think of right now. Being a doctor is far more than calculating a projectile or figuring out a protein component. If chemistry is difficult for you, buckle down and study. Don't scrap a dream just cuz you don't like a particular class.

i have no problem taking extra courses, and getting all my requirements done for my major (biochem) this is mainly because all the upper level classes have prereqs that i have to take first, so i can take at most, 2 or 3 sciences a year. that leaves. assuming that;s 12 credits if i take 3 sciences, and i take 32 credits a yaer, that leaves 20 credits, or 6 3 credit classes of electives. so yea, it's good to do something else and see what else is out there. next semester, i'm taking a string class and a video class, but in the end, i always end up going back to the chemistry building. it's like some sort of magnet that pulls me back, and i don't think i mind it too much, :)

If you can think of any other pratical career besides medicine that you like, do that.

To engage in years upon years of annoying and expensive training when you could do something else that would make you happy is ridiculous.

I have many friends in med schools and who are physicians who go around saying this all the time.

Trust me, regrets have a funny way of rearing their heads when you have been up for 48hrs straight and now have to disimpact some gome's bowels. Or when HMO's and lawyers are telling you how to run your practice.