Hey everyone! Looking for the names of rural practitioners to learn more about rural medicine.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Over the past 9 months, I've become increasingly interested in rural family medicine. I love biology and the science of medicine, but I want to be really intentional about combining that love with my passion for serving other, for creating strong interpersonal relationships. I think that love and service, trite as it may sound, are two of the most important pieces to a life well-lived, and I've begun to realize that the best place for me to create a career based on those pillars is through rural family medicine.

I'm looking for more physicians/clinics like this one: https://www.aafp.org/news/practice-professional-issues/20180606valdez.html

I want to learn more about clinics that are comitted to serving underserved (whether that be urban or rural - the beauty of a rural landscape just attracts me a little bit more) populations and value interpersonal relationships highly - I'm hoping to spend the summer doing some form of scribing/shadowing/clinical volunteering at a clinic like this (my school provides funding for unpaid summer opportunities). If you have any similar articles/examples, I'd love if you shared them!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow that’s pretty remote. I was going to mention a cluster of clinics in SE Wisconsin. They are run by big name groups but are clustered in small cities and towns.They have hospitals, out patient facilities, clinics but also have quick access to big hospitals in Milwaukee. Search Advocate Aurora Health and Froedert Medical. They might have some something you’d be interested in.

Contact the National Rural Health Association

They have a student membership category for $16. It seems focused on hospital operations but NRHA may be able to help you identify rural physicians in your geographic area (not 1,000 miles away) that would take you in for the summer.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered googling "name of small town you'd spend the summer in" + "family medicine doctors office" and seeing what there is? I work in the "urban" center of a rural state but moonlight in critical access hospitals and rural clinics. Even those that are under the umbrella of our system are still very much a traditional rural practice. It's usually a one/a couple of docs who live in the community, see everyone, know patients from memory and not from charts and tend to be cornerstones of the community. I love and hate working with them because when I read their notes it basically says "Patient doing well, no changes" but then when I talk to the doc they can tell me the patients entire medical, social and medication history on the spot.

Are you a HPSA member? We are developing a prehealth advising course that starts in February with a focus on rural and underserved healthcare. If you are a member, did you fill out an interest form?

Will send a conversation/DM with more info.