To all my Cali colleagues.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noyac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stay safe.
I hope you are not impacted by the fires terribly but I’m sure everyone is to some degree. For those heavily impacted, stay strong.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the thoughts. Luckily not in my neck of the woods (this time). Thoughts and prayers to those affected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Smoke in the city, smoke smell in the ORs, power out at the in-laws. Generatetors, food hoarding, arms; feels like Armageddon is the new normal.

Reactions: 1 user
Time to get out of Cali

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During our fire last summer we had smoke in the air for weeks. We started to get some respiratory issues in the OR. So we spoke to the surgeons and postponed all pedi elective cases until the smoke cleared for at least two weeks.

Or live in the central valley like my parents. You're more likely to die from asthma and air related quality, then fires or earth quakes in central california! :rofl:

It was smokey on the way to work but was more clear towards to afternoon/night. According to the weather the wind is supposed to shift again and pick up again so the entire area is going to have bad air quality.

Silver lining: It is the end of October and the temp is in the mid-70s *shrug*

During our fire last summer we had smoke in the air for weeks. We started to get some respiratory issues in the OR. So we spoke to the surgeons and postponed all pedi elective cases until the smoke cleared for at least two weeks.

That was a bad one.
Saw the beginning of it as we were heading out of town.
Was on Hermosa CT the day before it began.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was smokey on the way to work but was more clear towards to afternoon/night. According to the weather the wind is supposed to shift again and pick up again so the entire area is going to have bad air quality.

Silver lining: It is the end of October and the temp is in the mid-70s *shrug*

That smoke has made it to our part of the Sierras.

Pretty crazy to see this happening every year now. My in-law's ranch burned to the ground a couple years ago. 80 beautiful acres in the Sierra Nevada foothills turned into a blackened alien moon minus the craters. It'll take 15 or 20 years before that area really recovers, and obviously longer for the older growth trees that are gone. Assuming it doesn't burn again.

I think they're about 79,506th in line to get a piece of the PG&E settlement. They don't expect to see any of it.

is it mainly due to the crappy infrastructure of electrical companies?
It's really just WAY TOO dry and if it gets hot enough metal or glass laying on the ground can ignite the dry brush. Also high winds damage the power lines and the smallest spark causes a fire.

Dude... your avatar is scaring me a little.

LOL. Ya, ever since they took my ButtSnorkeler away, nothing has really felt right.

Wait, that didn’t sound right. Anyways, I saw this pic and couldn’t stop laughing, so I figured I’d try it out.

Reactions: 1 users
Everywhere has something. Fires, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards - take your pick.

Mid Atlantic, particularly dc and maryland area is quite benign.

I miss the blue crabs.

LOL. Ya, ever since they took my ButtSnorkeler away, nothing has really felt right.

Wait, that didn’t sound right. Anyways, I saw this pic and couldn’t stop laughing, so I figured I’d try it out.

Ohh you know that felt right... i mean that sounded right.

Stamp of approval on that avatar.

Last edited:
Mid Atlantic, particularly dc and maryland area is quite benign.

I miss the blue crabs.

They’ve got bugs and humidity. I’ll take the quakes and the fires thank you very much.

And blue crabs ain’t got nothin’ on spiny lobsters and Dungeness crab.

San Diego mermaids are quite tasty as well... just a little fishy.

San Diego mermaids are quite tasty as well... just a little fishy.

giphy.gif

It's really just WAY TOO dry and if it gets hot enough metal or glass laying on the ground can ignite the dry brush. Also high winds damage the power lines and the smallest spark causes a fire.

that sounds insane. why mainly california though. its the only dry state?? doesnt the air go inward from pacific?

that sounds insane. why mainly california though. its the only dry state?? doesnt the air go inward from pacific?
Colorado is the other state where it happens often as well as Arizona (look up "Gender reveal party and Arizona fire) and also Washington. California is just ripe because it's hot and has been drought conditions for years and even when it does rain it's not enough.

Colorado is the other state where it happens often as well as Arizona (look up "Gender reveal party and Arizona fire) and also Washington. California is just ripe because it's hot and has been drought conditions for years and even when it does rain it's not enough.

Are you forgetting the record precipitation last year?

Years with above average precipitation are followed by bad fire seasons due to the increased brush density from all the rain that then all dies/dries over the summer.

Reactions: 1 users

Years with above average precipitation are followed by bad fire seasons due to the increased brush density from all the rain that then all dies/dries over the summer.
That's true. I totally neglected that. The same SuperBloom that everyone loved this summer from last year's rain is now burning down. It was pretty though.

Reactions: 1 user

And people still build in very vulnerable places.

And people still build in very vulnerable places.
You can't fix stupid. Let me just reassure you that the disease is international, not specific to Cali/US. Unfortunately, it's painless.