****tmdsas 2012****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cougarpride

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alreadyyy that time of year again.

The 2012 TMDSAS cycle opens up tomorrow!!

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! Post questions if you have any...

enjoy the ride btw and be sure to check out tmdsas 2011 for any other inputs

Members don't see this ad.

Guess I should make myself comfy since I'll probably be here for the next 12 months

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys!

Does anyone have examples of optional essays?

The cycle may open tomorrow but some of us might not be able to submit the application until spring semester grades come out - which will take another two weeks or so.

I'm worried that waiting for spring grades will delay my application processing...Is it true that you can't "submit" your essay until they have received all your transcripts? Or can I submit while I am still waiting for supporting documents?

The cycle may open tomorrow but some of us might not be able to submit the application until spring semester grades come out - which will take another two weeks or so.

meh i would just have everything else filled out and ready. gotta wait for final grades which, like you said, is gonna take about two weeks, then mail off the transcripts and have tmdsas process it...that takes about another week or so as well

I'm worried that waiting for spring grades will delay my application processing...Is it true that you can't "submit" your essay until they have received all your transcripts? Or can I submit while I am still waiting for supporting documents?

You can submit without the transcipts but you still have to put in your grades for the spring. Just wait until spring grades come out and then submit. It's not that big of a deal. They don't even start reviewing apps until June anyway so there's basically no difference when you submit in May.

IMO people freak out so much about submitting early. Don't get me wrong, it's important. But submitting on May 2 vs submitting on May 17 is going to barely make a difference this early in the cycle. Just make sure you get everything in by June and you'll be fine.

You can submit without the transcipts but you still have to put in your grades for the spring. Just wait until spring grades come out and then submit. It's not that big of a deal. They don't even start reviewing apps until June anyway so there's basically no difference when you submit in May.

IMO people freak out so much about submitting early. Don't get me wrong, it's important. But submitting on May 2 vs submitting on May 17 is going to barely make a difference this early in the cycle. Just make sure you get everything in by June and you'll be fine.

Can you submit your application first, and then your personal/essays later? I'm wondering because I want to check my essays with my advisor who won't be available till May 23, so I was wondering if that would be past "early" to late for application.

No. You can only later send DAT, possibly LORs.

You're fine. I took DAT June 10, submitted June 23rd ish and was in the early-middle wave. I interviewed September at Baylor.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine. I took DAT June 10, submitted June 23rd ish and was in the early-middle wave. I interviewed September at Baylor.

Thank you for this answer!

I'm a Texas resident, and the Texas schools are far-and-above my first choice. I've read that I need to apply early, but I'll be taking my DAT on 6/6, and want to focus on that instead of the applications right now. I'm really afraid I'll be late, so your answer is very reassuring.

I keep running into massive issues with this application process, mainly with the CC i'm attending and obtaining my SAT scores (i took it my junior year of high school). Not to mention i'm having major league writers block when it comes to the Essays and the dual DDS/PhD essay and research. I feel like i'm being uber cliche with the whole "Whole truth and nothing but the truth" the reason i want to become a dentist is because 1 i love teeth and dealing with their owners and 2 why not do a job that i enjoy seeing, listening to, shadowing around etc.?

so my TMDSAS issues:
1. i can't get in contact with my high schools counseling office, every time i stop by or attempt to call they're OUT OF OFFICE or closed. They won't mail high school transcripts with the SAT scores on them so now i have to go through like collegeboard to get them.

2.the CC college i'm at right now has yet to post my grades for spring 2011, i have been up to the school and called the school, contacted my professors (professors say they submitted the grades already) but i have only seen one grade populate the school says "It's not our problem..." but uh yeah it is because they don't provide school printed transcripts.

I'm flippin OUT!!!

Oh and any suggestions in regards to the essays? I'm just at a loss for words right now, or are there any sample essays floating around? :confused:

I keep running into massive issues with this application process, mainly with the CC i'm attending and obtaining my SAT scores (i took it my junior year of high school). Not to mention i'm having major league writers block when it comes to the Essays and the dual DDS/PhD essay and research. I feel like i'm being uber cliche with the whole "Whole truth and nothing but the truth" the reason i want to become a dentist is because 1 i love teeth and dealing with their owners and 2 why not do a job that i enjoy seeing, listening to, shadowing around etc.?

so my TMDSAS issues:
1. i can't get in contact with my high schools counseling office, every time i stop by or attempt to call they're OUT OF OFFICE or closed. They won't mail high school transcripts with the SAT scores on them so now i have to go through like collegeboard to get them.

2.the CC college i'm at right now has yet to post my grades for spring 2011, i have been up to the school and called the school, contacted my professors (professors say they submitted the grades already) but i have only seen one grade populate the school says "It's not our problem..." but uh yeah it is because they don't provide school printed transcripts.

I'm flippin OUT!!!

Oh and any suggestions in regards to the essays? I'm just at a loss for words right now, or are there any sample essays floating around? :confused:

The cycle is long. Keep plugging along trying to get your HS and CC transcipts together. It'll happen, you just need to be persistent.

About the essay. Don't use a sample essay. Just be sincere. There's nothing wrong with saying you love teeth if you honestly love teeth. I think the biggest mistake predents make is trying to say what they think will impress adcoms instead of just being genuine.

Uhhh what? I don't recall having to request my high school transcripts or SAT scores. You just have to put in your score. Maybe it's been too long but I don't ever remember going back to my high school for transcripts or anything like that.

It asks for your high school rank, graduating class size, ACT/SAT scores... I had to get all of that info from my HS transcript

It asks for your high school rank, graduating class size, ACT/SAT scores... I had to get all of that info from my HS transcript

Oh okay. I do remember that, but I had an old high school transcript sitting around so it was easy for me.

TMDSAS Application submitted: 05/14/2011

still missing (1) Transcript with Spring semester grades (2) one LOR

p.s. 3rd time applying

Good Luck to everyone!!!

Wow! I can't believe the new cycle has begun! Good luck everyone!!!!!

I'm confused... I thought the application wasn't available until June 1st??

Good luck to everyone applying in the 2012 cycle!

Hey Guys,

I have been filling out my TMDSAS application and have a few questions.

1. Under employment and activities, how many entries are you putting down?
For example I only have 3 community service entries and 2 college leadership entries....I do not know if that is average or below average

2. I do not understand the letter of evaluation, I have a committee at my university that is giving me a letter and a dentist, is that all I need (I am confused because there are 3 slots)

Hey Guys,

I have been filling out my TMDSAS application and have a few questions.

1. Under employment and activities, how many entries are you putting down?
For example I only have 3 community service entries and 2 college leadership entries....I do not know if that is average or below average

You can only put what you have done so the number of entries others have is irrelevant.

I purchased transcripts to be sent to TMDSAS, but without the matching form. TMDSAS website says they will accept transcripts without the form. Did anyone else do this?

And for the recommendation letters, how much do those accompanying evaluation forms really matter?

Finishing my essays and trying to find the freaking SAT/ACT scores... Probably gonna submit on Monday.

So nervous. Just did the math on my science GPA and its going to be a 3.25 :( Overall should be a 3.4 and I take my DAT in a few weeks. Got a little bit cought up in college life but at least I've got some cool ECs to show for it...

on the sections of the application that is Extracurricular & Leisure and Planned Activities...

Are they wanting like every single planned activities? There are a lot of activities I have planned, but I did not want to seem obnoxious so I only listed like 4.

And what are some of you putting for Extracurricular & Leisure activities? I am putting down things I do for fun like golfing and bowling but I am not sure if that is what they are looking for on this section. A lot of my extracurriculars fall under community services, should I list those too?

on the sections of the application that is Extracurricular & Leisure and Planned Activities...

Are they wanting like every single planned activities? There are a lot of activities I have planned, but I did not want to seem obnoxious so I only listed like 4.

And what are some of you putting for Extracurricular & Leisure activities? I am putting down things I do for fun like golfing and bowling but I am not sure if that is what they are looking for on this section. A lot of my extracurriculars fall under community services, should I list those too?

Haha yeah I had the same question. Leisure activities seems so broad as a topic. I just put like intramural sports and a couple extracurricular things I've done at school.

For planned activities you should list anything you'll be doing in the future. For example, if you're involved in any type of service now that you will still be doing in the future you need to put it in this section, even though the dates you listed for it in the community service section show that it goes into the future. Every section is independent of the others.

Just letting you all know that I requested my transcripts to be sent WITHOUT the matching form, and TMDSAS still received it and matched it to my name. I just included my TMDSAS ID# in the address label :)

Haha yeah I had the same question. Leisure activities seems so broad as a topic. I just put like intramural sports and a couple extracurricular things I've done at school.

For planned activities you should list anything you'll be doing in the future. For example, if you're involved in any type of service now that you will still be doing in the future you need to put it in this section, even though the dates you listed for it in the community service section show that it goes into the future. Every section is independent of the others.

I didn't know what to do for the end date on the planned activities, i ended up putting the year of potential entry into dental school, but i plan on doing these items for as long as i possibly can. Things like the Texas honor ride it's both leisure and community service because each ride provides money for wounded warriors and their families. Some stuff on the app. are awkward because some stuff doesn't really have an end date.

Yeah, you're right. There were a few things on the application that I wasn't exactly sure how to list, but I'm sure it'll be alright.

Once our TMDSAS application has been submitted to the schools and all the other stuff is in (LORs, transcripts, etc.), is all that there's left to do now is wait to hopefully get interviews? Should we be calling the individual schools and checking to make sure our application is being delayed for any reason or incomplete in any way?

Once our TMDSAS application has been submitted to the schools and all the other stuff is in (LORs, transcripts, etc.), is all that there's left to do now is wait to hopefully get interviews? Should we be calling the individual schools and checking to make sure our application is being delayed for any reason or incomplete in any way?

Nope that's all you do. Now you just wait. You can check the TMDSAS page to see if they have all your transcripts and LORs. Then TMDSAS sends it off to the schools, no need to check with them. If TMDSAS has it, the school will have it as well.

I can't believe they want HS transcripts, HS rank, SAT scores. ******ed...seriously, this serves no purpose.

anyway...I will be applying this cycle, so I figured I'd introduce myself. Looks like I'll be chatting with you guys til December. Good luck to you all.

Finishing my essays and trying to find the freaking SAT/ACT scores... Probably gonna submit on Monday.

So nervous. Just did the math on my science GPA and its going to be a 3.25 :( Overall should be a 3.4 and I take my DAT in a few weeks. Got a little bit cought up in college life but at least I've got some cool ECs to show for it...

Don't fret. My sciGPA is 3.06, BCP 3.11, oGPA 3.54 ......I too have some good ECs but still.......dude...we better kick the DAT's ass. Good luck. How long have you studied the DAT for?

What if you don't know your high school rank and class size?

Last edited:
Expert
What if you don't know your high school rank and class size?

Request your HS transcript from the high school registrar

Last edited:
I do not understand why some are sending in their HS transcript. I do not see anywhere on TMDSAS where they ask for you to send in the high school transcript.

Hello, I have a question regarding the course list.
What is the difference between bio department and bio lecture? Should I list bio classes I took as bio lecture? or bio department?

Thank you so much!

I do not understand why some are sending in their HS transcript. I do not see anywhere on TMDSAS where they ask for you to send in the high school transcript.

You only have to if you do not know your:
1. Highschool rank/class size
2. ACT/SAT scores

You do not have to send this transcript. If your registrar will simply tell you over the phone... Great.

Last edited:
SLM266, when did you get your interview invite from Baylor last year? Like August?

Can someone help me??? In the TMDSAS form for individual Evaluations, do you have to WAIVE the right of access? OR is it asking for: either RETAIN or WAIVE, both are ok to them??

Thanks in advance!!

You SHOULD wave the right of access if you'd like your LORs to carry any weight.

OR

You can retain the right and see the LORs.

For people who are reapplying, you don't have to submit your DAT scores again. I emailed TMDSAS and asked them that since our application id's are same like last year, if we have to submit our DAT scores again to schools; I was informed that they(tmdsas) already have them and you won't have to submit it again..

Can you guys verify this?? I still can't believe that could be true..
However, I emailed twice to verify this and i got the same answer from them..:confused::confused:

sorry i dont understand what the TMDSAS is. On AADSAS i can still choose Texas schools as my designations, whats the purpose of TMDSAS? is that just for Texas residents ?

sorry i dont understand what the TMDSAS is. On AADSAS i can still choose Texas schools as my designations, whats the purpose of TMDSAS? is that just for Texas residents ?

Exactly. It's just for Texas residents.

For people who are reapplying, you don't have to submit your DAT scores again. I emailed TMDSAS and asked them that since our application id's are same like last year, if we have to submit our DAT scores again to schools; I was informed that they(tmdsas) already have them and you won't have to submit it again..

Can you guys verify this?? I still can't believe that could be true..
However, I emailed twice to verify this and i got the same answer from them..:confused::confused:

Anyone??