Tips for Maximizing Success as a URM applicant.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, lets get this forum started right. What are sure tested things that you believe increase a URM applicant's chances of getting accepted into medical school. Please list things that have actually worked for you.

So yeah, I'll start this off.
1) APPLYING EARLY EARLY EARLY EARLY EARLY. Unless you have a 40 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA, you should apply at the earliest possible second. This means that you start working on your AMCAS application when it becomes available around May 5, and you submit it within a week of it being available for submission (around June 5). Even with less than stellar numbers, will be have much more sucess than if you are complete at schools around october.

2) Secure all of your LORs and load them up to Interfolio by the Spring semester of your Junior year. This will negate your application being delayed by a LOR writer who simply just forgot to mail it in.

3) By an MSAR book. This will give you a real picture as to whether a school on average has 2% URMs in their class or 16%.

There are probably more, and I'll post them as I remember.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yeah, also do SUMMER RESEARCH. Whether you want to do primary care or academic neurosurgery, it always helps to have a little summer reseach. And there are so many summer research program for minority students. And I know that many URMs hate research (this could be a horribly wrong overgeneralization) but research at an institution can give you a foot into their medical school. Plus you may realize that you actually like research and change you app over to MD/PhD.

So, lets get this forum started right. What are sure tested things that you believe increase a URM applicant's chances of getting accepted into medical school. Please list things that have actually worked for you.

1) APPLYING EARLY EARLY EARLY EARLY EARLY. Unless you have a 40 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA, you should apply at the earliest possible second. This means that you start working on your AMCAS application when it becomes available around May 5, and you submit it within a week of it being available for submission (around June 5). Even with less than stellar numbers, will be have much more sucess than if you are complete at schools around october.

2) Secure all of your LORs and load them up to Interfolio by the Spring semester of your Junior year. This will negate your application being delayed by a LOR writer who simply just forgot to mail it in.

3) By an MSAR book. This will give you a real picture as to whether a school on average has 2% URMs in their class or 16%.

There are probably more, and I'll post them as I remember.

Out of curiosity, when you applied how did those numbers affect your decision. I was looking through MSAR and saw that some schools may have had only one student (or zero) of a particular urm group in their entire entering class. Not trying to start flame war, just trying to be realistic- I've heard some people say that they would be uncomfortable, and others say they don't care if they were the lone student. I'm just trying to seek a realistic view on how such numbers are/were interpreted by fellow urm applicants. Thanks a lot.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Rock the MCAT
Rock the GPA
Maintain a balanced undergrad experience
Interview well
Stay humble

That about sums it up.

It's best to apply early even if you do have a 40 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA. :)

Out of curiosity, when you applied how did those numbers affect your decision. I was looking through MSAR and saw that some schools may have had only one student (or zero) of a particular urm group in their entire entering class. Not trying to start flame war, just trying to be realistic- I've heard some people say that they would be uncomfortable, and others say they don't care if they were the lone student. I'm just trying to seek a realistic view on how such numbers are/were interpreted by fellow urm applicants. Thanks a lot.:)

One of the things that you quickly learn in medical school is that the information to be mastered doesn't know what color you are or how old you are or anything else. It's the same for everyone regardless of color.

I remember one of my professors Dr. LaSalle D. Lefall, Jr who said, that he didn't mind being the first of anything but to be the 'only' would be very tragic indeed. This from a man who was the first African-American president of the American College of Surgeons and the first African-American president of the American Cancer Society.

You do everything possible to prepare yourself in the best possible manner for medical school. Do well in your coursework. Do well on the MCAT and learn the craft of research because these are the things that enable you to become a good physician. Whether surrounded by others of color or none, you still have to master the material that is presented to you. In the end, you find that you have more in common with your classmates regardless of color than not.

I have had mixed responses. Do you have to have a MCAT score before you submit your AMCAS application? I am taking it May 25, so I wont have my score till June 25.

No. You can submit your application and be verified without your MCAT score being in, but you won't be fully complete at any school until your MCAT is in.

Thanks, I wanted to be verified at least, so when my score comes it should be a quick process to have a complete application.

1. Get your primary application verified ASAP. I can't stress this enough because submitting later in the application season e.g. late August and after, will significantly delay submission of your application to medical schools.

2. Definately get an MSAR book. My book has split in half because I read through it so much when selecting medical schools to apply to. I still read it now. It will be the best investment you make during this process

3. Stay positive throughout the process. It can be demoralizing at times, but keep your eye on the prize.

Oh yeah, also do SUMMER RESEARCH. Whether you want to do primary care or academic neurosurgery, it always helps to have a little summer reseach. And there are so many summer research program for minority students. And I know that many URMs hate research (this could be a horribly wrong overgeneralization) but research at an institution can give you a foot into their medical school. Plus you may realize that you actually like research and change you app over to MD/PhD.

Do you have to be a science major to do research? How do I go about finding research?
Thanks

Do you have to be a science major to do research? How do I go about finding research?
Thanks
No you don't have to be a science major to do research, but it is helpful. If you go to a university/college where research is actually be conducted then you can e-mail or talk to one of your professors and ask if you can work in their lab. You may start off slow at first, like washing glass ware, but eventually you may help with a project or get your own project.

If you do a summer research program (which many pre-meds do) then you basically go to the program you are accepted to, do the research, make a poster, present the poster, hopefully get published (but not likely), and get a nice stipend. There are literally HUNDREDS of summer research opportunities out there, especially for minorities, so just go to the thread below
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=382099
or go to Google and type in "Summer research for minorities" and you will get many responses. Most of the deadlines for this upcoming summer have past, so you may have more luck for this summer if you go to a professor at your school directly. Good luck!

My colleagues have done a phenomenal job in suggesting things you should do as you are about to apply and while in a particular application cycle. I am going to suggest some thigns to do at the front end of the process to get you to that point.

1) Attend your college's pre-matriculation program.

If your college has summer pre-matriculation program, be sure to participate in it. If you can request permission to attend then be sure to do that as well. College is "a different world," it is important that you are well prepared to succeed in your classes and in adjusting to your new living/working environment.

A pre-matriculation program offers just the opportunity to become acquainted with the college, the dormitories, your future classmates, the instructors and finding out where to go to get help when you need it. It is ALWAYS best to get help before you need it, so being in the pre-Matriculation program should afford you time to adjust your study habits, form study groups or find study partners and become aware of the academic support services at your institution. Most pre-matriculation programs are 6 weeks in length and you take a sampling of college courses during that time period.

If the college suggests that you attend the pre-matriculation program, then consider it a blessing and not a curse. You will be that much further along to adjusting to college life.

2) Write down your 2 year plan.

For more on this read this thread==>The Importance of High School

3) In your freshman year of college, you should focus on doing the following things:

Hone your study habits.

Get tutoring right away. Do not wait for things to go wrong to get help.

Maximize your GPA.

Get involved on campus, but not too involved that it takes time away from your studies and your preparation for class.

Find a shadowing opportunity to learn more about the different members of the healthcare team.

Acquaint yourself with the pre-professional advisor at your institution. Find out from him/her what programs and other opportunities are available for you given your career goals.

Over the summer following your freshman year of college, do something to accentuate your interest in the healthcare professions. This could either be research or some other summer program that would further your development to becoming a healthcare professional.

An excellent opportunity especially designed for 1st and 2nd year college students is the Summer Medical and Dental Education Program.

Another option is participating in a summer program that is available on your home campus.

4) Sophomore year is much like the freshman year.

Continue to sharpen your study habits.

Get tutoring right away. Do not wait for things to go wrong to get help.

Maximize your GPA.

Get involved on campus, but not too involved that it takes time away from your studies and your preparation for class. You should be moving along the track to assume leadership positions in student organizations.

Find a shadowing opportunity to learn more about the different members of the healthcare team.

Nurture the relationship with the pre-professional advisor at your institution. Find out from him/her what programs and other opportunities are available for you given your career goals. Discuss what do over the coming summer.

A listing of summer research opportunities is available here.

The summer following your sophomore year of college is a good time to get involved in a research project. You will have completed some science classes and have or should have a cursory understanding of things that are going on in a lab such that things are not over your head conceptually.

Check your 2 year plan to see how well you are progressing and whether you need to adjust it or not.

Prepare your plan for your next 2 years of school.

5) Getting to the meat of the sandwich.

In your Junior year or 3rd year of college, you should have the core curriculum completed, if your university has one, and well on your way to completed your major courses. At this point, you should have completed most of the prerequisites, if not all, for the MCAT. These prerequisites include, at a minimum,:

1 year of General Biology with lab

1 year of General Chemistry with lab

1 year of College mathematics (some medical schools require calculus check the MSAR to find out for sure)

1 year of General Physics with lab

1 year of College English

1 year of Organic Chemistry

Some medical schools require the following couirses as well: Genetics, Statistics, and/or Biochemistry. A course in Physiology or Anatomy and Physiology can be helpful to you as well. Check the MSAR for more details on the course requirements for the MCAT and for particular medical schools.

6) Take the MCAT when you are ready to take it.

If you have not successfully completed the prerequisites for the MCAT (at a minimum), then you are not ready to take the test. Complete the courses and strive to ensure that you will perform the best on that test. Use review books and maybe even enroll in a commercial review course if your finances allow for it.

7) Continue to get "healthcare experience", do research, keep involved in your extra curricular activities and community service.

8) Work on your AMCAS personal statement.

If you have kept a journal from high school detailing your interest in being a physician, then this will be relatively easy or at least a bit easier than writing it with nothing to start with in the first place. Why do you want to be a doctor?

Review your personal statement with your pre-professional advisor and the healthcare professionals you have been shadowing over the years. Consider their advice wisely and use accordingly.

9) Secure letter of recommendations.

Get LORs from science teachers who know you well and your preprofessional advisor, who by this point knows you fairly well. Get letters from the individuals whose labs you have worked in over the summer.

10) Follow the pointers listed by the other posters of applying early and spell checking your essays and other items taht are listed on your applications.

Attention to detail is a MUST!!!!

Good luck!!!!:luck:

I would definitely recommend research over the summer, I did a cancer research program and learned more about cancer then I ever imagined, but if you can't stand research, I would advise investigating EMT programs at local community colleges. I found a program that allowed me to get licensed in a month and a half for $250, others I know did it over the summer and got it covered by financial aid, a friend of mine said it wasn't really even a chore, more like summer camp for premeds. :) It makes finding a clinical position a lot easier, or at the very least will allow you to have more responsibility as a volunteer. :thumbup:

I would definitely recommend research over the summer, I did a cancer research program and learned more about cancer then I ever imagined, but if you can't stand research, I would advise investigating EMT programs at local community colleges. I found a program that allowed me to get licensed in a month and a half for $250, others I know did it over the summer and got it covered by financial aid, a friend of mine said it wasn't really even a chore, more like summer camp for premeds. :) It makes finding a clinical position a lot easier, or at the very least will allow you to have more responsibility as a volunteer. :thumbup:
Keep in mind also that you do not have to do lab research in order to get valuable research experience. I have classmates who have done ethics research, historical research, economics research, and many other fields. So if pipetting endless tubes doesn't sound like your idea of fun, look into some of these other research options in a subject that interests you.

Refresh. :D

Since the application season starts anew on Tuesday.

Good luck to all of the 2008 applicants.:luck: