Tips for an effective CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyAnklesAreBroken

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a 3rd resident, starting the process of looking for a job.

From those who recently were hired or those in a position to hire new associates, what do you look for in CV?

How can I tailor my CV to be informative but concise.

What do you want to know about me that should be included?

What should I not bother including?

Is a cover letter/letter of interest desireable with the CV?

Thanks for the tips!

Members don't see this ad.

Number one thing is why do you want to in town X. What is your connection? Why are they going to invest money in you? ( This assumes a hospital/MSG - if podiatrist they will do the opposite). Again if non -podiatrist, nobody knows anything about us. If you can talk a big game and all else is there you are good. Nobody really knows I'd you just rode he handle bars for 3 years. Extra points if your spouse is from that area. On paper everyone is going to make themselves sound like avocado toast. Rearfoot and ankel surgery blah blah blah. So yes, the cover letter is necessary. In fact it is the most important thing you send them. 3 paragraphs. Your training, why you want to be there and then what you bring to the table ( ie how else are you going to make them money? ( Of podiatrist say you love nail fungus lasers and custom orthotics. If hospital say downstream revenue from MRI, x-ray, PT, labs, referrals, facility fees).

Reactions: 4 users
Good stuff! Thank you for the advice.

I will be applying to hospitals/MSGs as well, would it be of benefit to include some of the actual in clinic services I can provide with corresponding RVUs or does that make it seem like I just want to get paid.

Members don't see this ad :)
A CV is not a resume. It is used in academic circles and should conform to a standard format. It should be as long as it needs to be to convey your curriculum vitae ("life's work"). Mine is 56 pages long. I've seen some as long as 80-90 pages. Resumes are typically 1-3 pages long. If you'd like to relay nonstandard, personalized information, include a cover letter.

Reactions: 1 users
In residency I was required to use the Harvard Medical School CV format and this is ultimately the format I used on the job hunt. I would argue your CV should not be concise. It should include everything.

How far back should a CV go in these cases? I can’t imagine future podiatric employers would care what I did in high school

No one reads CVs bro.

its the person not the paper