Timing of Step 2 CK and ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to take Step 2 CK such that the score has been resulted before I go on interviews. This way I can bring it up on the interview trail if I did better, but can not mention it if I didn't do better.

I'm confused about the dates -
ERAS submitted 9/15
Deans/MSPE released 10/1 (I've heard schools only start looking after MSPE is in..?)

1) So does the score need to result after 9/15 or after 10/1?
2) How do I figure out the test date then? I don't see any score release tables for CK

Members don't see this ad.

Interviews definitely start coming out before mspe is out. Score result needs to come out after 9/15. Then it's up to you whether you send it or not. Some places want the scores before match lists are in but I'm not sure if it's mandatory. You can take the test in July, August and maybe September and it should be out in time for interviews.

Interviews definitely start coming out before mspe is out. Score result needs to come out after 9/15. Then it's up to you whether you send it or not. Some places want the scores before match lists are in but I'm not sure if it's mandatory. You can take the test in July, August and maybe September and it should be out in time for interviews.
I thought it only take ~3 weeks for Step 2 CK? Wouldn't July be too early?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took CK the last week of June and had my score the last week of July.

In your case, if you want a score back by late September, you should probably take the test in late August or early September. Just make sure you have time to study properly amidst all the sub-I madness. Also look for USMLE updates - they were testing out some new formats in 2015 and as a result there was a massive score delay for some people who took the test in July: scores came out in late September and this worked poorly for some of my classmates who were hoping to release their scores with the initial ERAS submission.

I should also note that some of the programs I applied to state on their websites that Step 2 scores should be released "as soon as they become available". I doubt those programs would have responded well if I brought up my score on an interview but never officially released it.

I took CK the last week of June and had my score the last week of July.

In your case, if you want a score back by late September, you should probably take the test in late August or early September. Just make sure you have time to study properly amidst all the sub-I madness. Also look for USMLE updates - they were testing out some new formats in 2015 and as a result there was a massive score delay for some people who took the test in July: scores came out in late September and this worked poorly for some of my classmates who were hoping to release their scores with the initial ERAS submission.

I should also note that some of the programs I applied to state on their websites that Step 2 scores should be released "as soon as they become available". I doubt those programs would have responded well if I brought up my score on an interview but never officially released it.

Oh is that what that was? But the score was released on 9/16 which was the day after eras opened. I don't see why it would have affected anyone negatively

Oh is that what that was? But the score was released on 9/16 which was the day after eras opened. I don't see why it would have affected anyone negatively

It was mostly people stressing about whether or not scores would actually come on 9/16 (some came early), and debating about pushing off submission vs submitting right away on 9/15. We all know how compulsive med students can become, and I was glad to not be tied up in that mess.

It was mostly people stressing about whether or not scores would actually come on 9/16 (some came early), and debating about pushing off submission vs submitting right away on 9/15. We all know how compulsive med students can become, and I was glad to not be tied up in that mess.

Lol I totally understand actually. A lot more programs have started caring about step 2, especially in IM and ortho from what I hear so I can understand the concern

Lol I totally understand actually. A lot more programs have started caring about step 2, especially in IM and ortho from what I hear so I can understand the concern
IM apparently cares a lot, which makes sense because IM is a huge part of the test.

IM apparently cares a lot, which makes sense because IM is a huge part of the test.

No that's not why. It's because board pass rates have been declining and they want to get people who can test well

In EM too, it was rated slightly higher in the NRMP director survey.

So we get 2 weeks off at the end of 3rd year and I'm thinking of taking step 2 right away. How would 1 week vacation, 1 week studying + 2 week study elective + 2 weeks off (1 for studying 1 for another little break) at the start of 4th year play out? I'm 98% going into EM so I'm wondering if all the Step studying will be useful to consolidate knowledge before EM rotations. From what I've heard there aren't too many electives (nor time in early 4th year) that are super useful for doing well in EM so I might as well knock out step 2.

Thoughts?