Timing of Sending LORs for Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koercive

Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand many fellowships are "rolling," and many online application portals have just opened up. Do you guys plan on your LOR writers send them out as soon as you return back from ASHP (mid-December)? As it states on many fellowship brochures, I already know the people that will be writing my LORs.

I don't think I saw any fellowships that require that you submit your LORs before PPS.

Members don't see this ad.

No, you don't have to send them out before the Midyear, but it is to your advantage to have them sent as soon as possible after the meeting.

Thank you!

IndustryPharmD, can you please answer these as well:
-Would it benefit applicants to use PPS to reach out to individual Rutgers fellowships to express our interest in them (I ask because unlike some other fellowships, interview signups can only be done in person)? Or should I wait until Saturday morning at ASHP Midyear to watch the Rutgers video and then sign-up in person for various interviews?
-How should we approach writing messages on PPS to employers? Right now, I view it as a way to give a short introduction to myself and to ask a few questions (due to the character constraints). And then leave the formal and lengthier explanation of our interest on the letter of intent which is due after Midyear?

I would greatly appreciate your insights.

-Would it benefit applicants to use PPS to reach out to individual Rutgers fellowships to express our interest in them (I ask because unlike some other fellowships, interview signups can only be done in person)? Or should I wait until Saturday morning at ASHP Midyear to watch the Rutgers video and then sign-up in person for various interviews?
Well, I know that you cannot sign up before watching the video anyway... as far as reaching out before then - you certainly can do that, I don't know if it will help - but it would not hurt. I think Rutgers only has one PPS inbox, so I am not even sure how you would contact the companies before the meeting other than by trying to reach people listed in their brochures directly at their companies...

I have actually been reached at work by some students just finding my LinkedIn profile and then calling my company's main line and asking to speak to me (or sending me e-mail through LinkedIn) - so I guess that approach works, at least some of the time.

-How should we approach writing messages on PPS to employers? Right now, I view it as a way to give a short introduction to myself and to ask a few questions (due to the character constraints). And then leave the formal and lengthier explanation of our interest on the letter of intent which is due after Midyear?
I think your approach works. Definitely a formal letter of intent should be sent after the Midyear (it is required by all programs anyway, I think). Since your PPS profile hopefully highlights the most important things about you, I would focus the message more on your questions or on your interest in the program and a request for an interview, if appropriate.