Timing/match/ophth-path questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Primate

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again to those with whom I haven't posted in some time. :) How're my ophtho peeps?

Quick question(s):

How late is too late for applying to an early match?

Is the SF match bound by the same "no going outside the match" agreements that programs in the NRMP are (ie - has anyone gone outside recently)? Don't flame, I'm really just curious on this one.

Does anyone know what's required to practice ophthalmic pathology (this one's more personal ;) )? Can one do this from an ophth residency without fellowship/with fellowship/how long a fellowship/etc.?

Appreciate any info. Thanks - off to study for an ENT exam.

P

Members don't see this ad.

The SF Match is bound by the same "no going outside the match" agreements for residency matching.

Fellowships can be arranged outside the match.

To practice ophthalmic pathology, one can do this with an ophthalmology residency and at least a one year ocular pathology fellowship. Some ocular pathology fellowships are 2 years, but 1 year is primarily research.

Primate said:
Hello again to those with whom I haven't posted in some time. :) How're my ophtho peeps?

Quick question(s):

How late is too late for applying to an early match?

Is the SF match bound by the same "no going outside the match" agreements that programs in the NRMP are (ie - has anyone gone outside recently)? Don't flame, I'm really just curious on this one.

Does anyone know what's required to practice ophthalmic pathology (this one's more personal ;) )? Can one do this from an ophth residency without fellowship/with fellowship/how long a fellowship/etc.?

Appreciate any info. Thanks - off to study for an ENT exam.

P

Ophthalmic pathology can be entered by a number of routes. Board certified ophthalmologists can do a one or two year ocular pathology fellowship. One year is all that is necessary. Anatomic pathologists (anatomic pathology residency) can do an ophthalmic pathology fellowship as well after AP training; again either one or two years. Finally, one can perform two residencies; in both ophthalmology, and anatomic pathology usually by doing part of the pathology training as ocular pathology. Eye pathologists are mostly comprised of ophthalmologists with path training, although more and more are anatomic pathologists. There are very few double boarded people in this country.