Time to Actually Make a Living in The Medical Field?

Tigrane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • I've been thinking long and hard about my future, and yes, I know I am only 15 at the moment, I get that, so please don't point that out, but one thing I am worried about is if I'm going to make enough money at the correct time in my life. Or let me put it this way, the path to become a doctor is a long one for sure, and since residents make around 40 - 50K a year, than Yes, maybe I'll be able to find an apartment which I was going to do anyways, but look… I finish HS when I'm 18, I go to a 4 year college or transfer (Same Thing) and after that, now I'm 22 years old. I start looking into Med School, or I've already looked into it and now I have to take my MCAT, so maybe a year later I pass the exam and now great I got accepted maybe so now I'm 23-24 and then I finish Med School (Yipee!) and now I'm 27-28, then I'm an intern so after I'm 28-29 and now I start making money, but the question is, when do you think I'll have enough to buy a house for about 500 600k dollars?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't think so soon, maybe eventually you will decide to not care about buying a 500k-600k house and you'll be fine with living modestly. The path to med school definitely will change your outlook on these things and teach you the things that truly matter. Also, the salaries for doctors aren't as high as parents think whenever they tell their kids to be a doctor when they grow up implying that they will make much money. In my opinion, you'll spend much more hours that exceed what you truly deserve to earn in wages but that notion doesn't matter nor should it deter aspiring med students because the true worth of such a career is always derived by the enjoyment and satisfaction in doing them. Hell, you'll even spend so many hours in hospitals or clincs that you wouldn't even have time nor even care about how to spend the money you make, they usually melt away anyway because by the end of med school, you'll probably have a wife and start preparing for kids.

Last edited:
A $600k home with 30 year loan after 20% downpaymemt and at 4% interest comes to $3,000 per month. This is just a typical mortgage, you would surely pay it off faster as a doc.

Depending on your marital status and student debt you could get it within 6 months of practicing.

Every thread you post is looking too far into the future. Get the grades, keep getting the grades, and get some more grades, then ace the MCAT and you might actually make it to medical school. If you can get to medical school and make it through everything will take care of itself.

Reactions: 1 user