time layout of combined vs separate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tum

don't call it a comeback
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
dumb newbie question:

combined = 6 yr with 3 yrs g-surge/3 yr plastics

g surge + fellowship separately = 7 yr with 4 yrs g-surge/3 yrs plastics

is this correct? also i recall a post (maybe from plastics2002 or a crazy pipe dream) that said the acceptance rate for g-surge's applying for fellowships was something around 33%? is this reasonable because it seems low as all hell to me

let me know

Members don't see this ad.

tum said:
dumb newbie question:

combined = 6 yr with 3 yrs g-surge/3 yr plastics

g surge + fellowship separately = 7 yr with 4 yrs g-surge/3 yrs plastics

is this correct? also i recall a post (maybe from plastics2002 or a crazy pipe dream) that said the acceptance rate for g-surge's applying for fellowships was something around 33%? is this reasonable because it seems low as all hell to me

let me know

g surg + fellowship separately is 7 years, but the breakdown is 5 years of g surg followed by 2 years of plastics (you can't get board certification in g surg if you don't finish the residency). there are some people, however, who apply in plastics during their 3rd year of g surg and go straight from their 3rd year into 3 years of plastics.

mcindoe said:
g surg + fellowship separately is 7 years, but the breakdown is 5 years of g surg followed by 2 years of plastics (you can't get board certification in g surg if you don't finish the residency). there are some people, however, who apply in plastics during their 3rd year of g surg and go straight from their 3rd year into 3 years of plastics.

Here's the breakdown:

Available out of medical school:
Integrated (3 + 3 with Plastics having control of how your first three years go, so derm, ENT, Mohs, research etc. can be included)
Combined ( 3 +2 with Gen surg controlling the first three years and presumed acceptance into the plastics as a fellowship after three years of gen surg)
Combined (3 + 3 same as above combined)

Available after 3+ years of gen surg or full residency in ENT, OMFS, Ortho etc.
Independant (2 or 3 years as a fellowship applied for through the San Francisco Match)

Although it is theoretically possible to jump out of general surgery before completing all 5 years it is very difficult if not impossible. You would be competing in the match with people who will be board eligable and others who have done hand fellowships etc. Also the applicant pool is now MASSIVE, making the fellowship match one of the most competative matches in medicine. If you didn't finish all 5 years the most likely scenario would be for you to sneak out of your GS program and into a combined spot without going through a match. Believe it or not, plastic surgery residency is TOUGH and a lot of people wash out. Even those who are the most motivated sometimes can't hack it. The author of plastics2002 was a combined resident and now is not. He developed other interests. So spots do open up but you will have to be VERY impressive to snag one of those.