time for pets in military?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RachMSU

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I will be starting my third year of dental school in May and I was thinking about getting a pet. My major concern is if I will have time for the pet when I am in the Navy after school. Are we allowed to have pets in the military? Is there time to take care of the pets since I'll be living alone or does the Navy require long hours? I currently live in an apartment by myself and would love a pet.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just make sure you have somebody to take care of it if you get deployed--other than that--should be OK--unless you live in the Officers quarters on base instead of an apartment on the economy. They won't allow pets there.

Just make sure you have somebody to take care of it if you get deployed--other than that--should be OK--unless you live in the Officers quarters on base instead of an apartment on the economy. They won't allow pets there.

For the OP, if you live in married housing on base you can have pets. My sister had a cat and her neighbor had a dog on Hickam AFB, I remember the thing barking all night.

Members don't see this ad :)
Navy folks seem to own a lot of pets...at least around my base anyhow. Sorry i can't comment on any specifics...but I can tell you that more and more folks seem to get deployed these days...especially the fresh LTs.

Be aware that if your pet messes up the carpet, the housing authority will more than likely have you pay to get it replaced when you leave. My wife and I had no pets and spotless carpet; they still made us pay for a professional cleaning service. We luckily had a friend in the business that wrote us a receipt, to avoid the fee. (Free tip)

Try to get a place with older floors, and you can blame it on prior owners. As long as there are spots on the carpet (or scratches on the hardwood) when you sign for it, you won't have a problem at all.
No "dangerous" animals allowed, like snakes and such. I believe that was the rule. I tried to get piranhas once, in Germany, and I wasn't allowed. I went around bragging about it like an idiot.

Have a kid, they are cuter.:smuggrin:

"Have a kid, they are cuter.:smuggrin:"

Having a pet is a responsibility and should be taken seriously. They are less costly then children and are devoted to you but, you need to set up a support system if you are a single person. Family can help and if you have a great vet who will allow someone to watch after you pet: pet sitting...well, then by all means.

I love my pups, and every time I have to leave them longer than a day..I get concerned. I also have family that will pet sit, and a small town vet that loves my dogs...

good luck