Disability via military and private insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grendo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does receiving a disability rating for a certain injury/condition affect the payout from private disability insurance? Are you able to collect from both military and private disability insurance for the same injury?

Members don't see this ad.

You may not be able to even get private disability insurance after you leave the military if you receive a disability rating from the service.

Reactions: 1 user
You may not be able to even get private disability insurance after you leave the military if you receive a disability rating from the service.
It depends on the company. I was able to obtain disability insurance prior to military. I am separating in the future. I wouldn’t want my injuries that I’ve gotten during active service to affect my ability to get a payout from my private disability insurance company if I ever needed to

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask what injury you got while serving in the military?
It depends on the company. I was able to obtain disability insurance prior to military. I am separating in the future. I wouldn’t want my injuries that I’ve gotten during active service to affect my ability to get a payout from my private disability insurance company if I ever needed to

An ankle injury at the moment. Still waiting on a diagnosis via MRI. Some back pains and recently got hit in the eye and will follow up with optometry

An ankle injury at the moment. Still waiting on a diagnosis via MRI. Some back pains and recently got hit in the eye and will follow up with optometry
Are those injuries due to military related activities?(hike, shipboard, field exercise, etc) or from seeing patients? Thanks for sharing btw.