thumb on cat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airrick16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I picked up this runaway/stray cat in a parking lot. She was emaciated, but very friendly - someone's former pet. I was just curious what the deal with her front paws. The "thumb" is larger than on other cats and the claw kind of curves inwards. Also other cats walk more on their front 4 toes. She walks kind of like we would, if we walked on our hands.

Is she a polydactyl cat (due to genetic mutation) or is this an injury/infection??

See attached pictures...

She certainly isn't agile. She tried to jump on a kitchen chair, no more than 2.5 feet off the ground, and couldn't do it. Also seems to have lost a lot of fur on hind legs.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 100_0302.jpg
    100_0302.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 239
  • thumbcat small.jpg
    thumbcat small.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 256
  • 100_0306.jpg
    100_0306.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Last edited:
cool. post films if you take any.

Members don't see this ad :)
If she was someone's former pet, you should at least register a found report with your area's shelters and get her scanned for a microchip. In all likelihood no one will turn up, and around here people abandon cats at the slightest provocation, but make sure there is no one out there looking desperately for her.

Wow that is crazy. Sure looks like some of the cats I saw down in Key West, polydactyl cats all over the place there. Of course I am not a vet. That sure is interesting though.

Well Im sure its genetic, because both front paws have this "deformity". I tried to palpating her paws but I am not in vet school yet - so I'll let the professionals handle it :)

It might be genetic but you can't rule out nutritional or other problems too. It could be many things - even neurological. Please post what a vet thinks after you've had her in to see someone. We'll be curious:)

Polydactyly is a dominant gene trait, so that part is definitely genetic lol. We had a TON of these at the shelter I worked at back in Florida thanks to Hemingway cats in Key West being moved around the state. I've never seen a polydactyl cat that had issues with movement related to the extra toes, so I'd definitely still get her checked out by a vet to see what's going on with her.

she definitely looks like my sister's polydactyl cat which she adopted in florida LOL! anyhow because she is a stray she should visit a vet anyhow so he or she can look for any other lurking problems you may not be aware of. her thumbs are probably normal though but get her to a vet just for a check up good luck!