thoughts on USC's IM program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While Santa Barbara Cottage is a beautiful place to train, I would heavily advise you to NOT go there. Your training might be "good" but it is relatively poor compared to the other options you have such as the UCLA programs (UCLA, Harbor, Olive View) and USC.

USC gets a bad rap - I think the training there would be amazing...it's just not as prestigious as some other places.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I definitely understand it is a smaller community based program rather than academic. No doubt about that. I also think I understand that "good" training will not be as good as some of the other well known program's in the area. I know most of the positives of going there too- beautiful place to train, work load is not as malignant as some places, a lot of perks that most places have anyway like health coverage, malpractice coverage (obviously haha), lunches provided, money to attend national conferences, etc.

If anyone could give some possible downsides and why you think it should be considered a downside that would be great. My goals are ultimately to do the 3 year categorical track for IM then subspecialize with a fellowship in either Infectious Disease, Endocrine, or Hematology-Oncology then go back to an academic hospital somewhere and see both patients while being knowledgeable enough and well trained enough to teach students and residents. So if that gives you a better idea on what my goals are then ultimately the only downside I see is it makes it more difficult going to a community based hospital at getting a fellowship. However, GI and Cards being the most competitive fellowships and me not wanting to do either of those I don't see it being a problem matching at a fellowship somewhere if I put in the time to do the work and do some research as well.

Any help as to advantages or disadvantages on this program would be a help because all I really have access to is their website and scutwork.com and this site haha. I am not from Cali, I'm at a med school in the Southeast

Hey,
Can you expound on the training at Santa Barbara being poorer than at other programs? I think I understand what you are saying because there are obviously some academic programs in the area like USC and UCLA and UCSD and UCSF. Do you feel the that training at this program would put out poor clinicians and if so why? Just trying to get a feel for the program, but I will be doing an externship there in Jan. so I guess I will get a feel for the training and what not anyway haha. Also, posted a general post right below this with what my career goals are if you want to read just to get a better feel for the type of program I am looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current resident at USC. The program is very good. ... Matching to fellowship is also very good,... I am a third year and moonlight without any apprehension or reservation... attending physicians who are at the top of (their) game.

That's good to know, since I like USC, but do you have a recent update on the pass rate on the IM board exams? The ABIM website says 80% for 2008-2010, which is kinda low. Has the pass rate improved along with the general tone and quality of the program?

Does anyone know if USC offers prematches ? Also is it really IMG friendly ? I am unable to find the residents list to see how many IMG's they have so that I can get an idea.

I have an IV coming up there next week but I also have a prematch offer from another program that I like a lot but USC would be my top choice if I go into the match. My prematch offer expires soon and I have to decide between declining the prematch from my 3rd or 4th option and taking a chance at USC and I need to find out about the ratio/percentage of IMG's they take every year to roughly estimate my chances.

Please help

I did an away rotation at USC and one thing I heard consistently is that the new program director is trying to recruit AMGs heavily, so it's not as IMG friendly as it was even a couple years ago.

There are 2 IMGs in the current intern class and no DOs.

There are 2 IMGs in the current intern class and no DOs.

Can you comment on the past years match list? I have this interview and am really unsure if I should cancel or not. Thanks!

USC does not offer prematches - one of the applicants on my interview day asked the chief resident and associate program director

That's good to know, since I like USC, but do you have a recent update on the pass rate on the IM board exams? The ABIM website says 80% for 2008-2010, which is kinda low. Has the pass rate improved along with the general tone and quality of the program?

I went to med school here and do internship at USC. The quality has improved a lot, especially with the new program director. The classes are getting better and better each year, and I'm always impressed with my upper levels and classmates. Morale is great. I heard that last year's class had a pass rate of around 90% but they think it may be higher when the scores come back

Can you comment on the past years match list? I have this interview and am really unsure if I should cancel or not. Thanks!

Like where they are from? 12 of my USC classmates are here in the intern class, tons of people from great schools all over (My friends are from NYU, Northwestern, UCLA, UCSD, Tufts, Tulane but I know there are others too!). Pretty diverse class from what I see. Only two IMGs / 55 interns - but they are stellar!

Does anyone know if USC offers prematches ? Also is it really IMG friendly ? I am unable to find the residents list to see how many IMG's they have so that I can get an idea.

I have an IV coming up there next week but I also have a prematch offer from another program that I like a lot but USC would be my top choice if I go into the match. My prematch offer expires soon and I have to decide between declining the prematch from my 3rd or 4th option and taking a chance at USC and I need to find out about the ratio/percentage of IMG's they take every year to roughly estimate my chances.

Please help

Definitely, unequivocally, absolutely: Take the prematch ... Are you kidding me? its number 3 or 4 on your rank list and you did not accept already???

Lord have mercy

Once you decline their offer, they will definitely not rank you at all. So your number 3-4 choice on your rank list will not exist anymore.

Gambling on securing your number 1 or 2 is not a wise strategy. You should hear the stories I heard: some people match in their 7th ranked program.

Some might pull it off, but the risk is just ... too much.

This is the last year of prematches at reputable places (those places will definitely wont go all-prematches next year) ... Try to get advantage of this last chance.

Best of luck

@adagio.. Thanks a lot for your post. It was exactly what I needed to go ahead and seal the deal. I know it sounds stupid that one post can help you make the decision but sometimes its what you need to choose between heart and mind.

And you are absolutely right about the prematch offers from next year. The PD clearly said that we just offer a few prematches so that we get the IMG's we want before they go into the match and all the other seats go into the match for AMG's, and from next year they will not offer any prematch and will probably rank the IMG's along with others.

Other than that I believe the prematch was pure luck for me since there were other highly qualified IMG's on my IV day. I wasn't even expecting but I sure was hoping for one since I loved the place. Obviously USC would be my first choice hands down but again I am not a stellar IMG candidate as the above posts mentioned and I may end up way down.

Thanks for the reply. Good luck everyone for the match.

Members don't see this ad :)
you did the ultimate right thing to do ... Open a dictionary and you will find it under the definition of rightness

I just interviewed at USC last week, and it is an amazing program. The Morning Report is awesome, and the program director is genuinely approachable. I went to UCLA for undergrad and then the east coast for med school, and now I'm looking to come back to LA. The residents are happy and get along well with each other. I am ranking USC at the top of my list.

I am regretting canceling USC. I keep hearing how great the program is now. My bad!

I matched at USC last year, and I'm glad I ranked them highly. I wanted to stay in the LA area, and among all the IM programs in the area, only USC could honestly boast to have the best clinical training. I remember pinning down the residents at the other programs during my interview season regarding their honest opinion regarding their programs and their clinical training, and none of them could deny that USC had the best clinical training. I'm not going to badmouth the other programs, but I know of current residents at the other programs regretting where they are now.

Of all the university programs in SoCal, UCI is the worst. Kaiser Sunset may be similar to UCI's training (though UCI may sound better) but the benefit of Kaiser is matching into its own specialties (which are many). UCI rarely takes its own for cards and GI. The UCI hospital is beautiful though. I ranked USC with UCI only because of reputation purposes but I think the training at USC would be better.

I'm having trouble ranking USC and UCI, and I was wondering why you think UCI is so bad? I went to their interview and I was told they take 2/3 of their own for fellowships, whereas with USC I didn't get a clear cut answer as to how many of their grads got into their fellowships.

I'm having trouble ranking USC and UCI, and I was wondering why you think UCI is so bad? I went to their interview and I was told they take 2/3 of their own for fellowships, whereas with USC I didn't get a clear cut answer as to how many of their grads got into their fellowships.

I interviewed at both USC and UCI; I actually think UCI is pretty solid. Contrary to what NDESTRUKT wrote, UC Irvine matches a good number of their own for GI & Cards (as seen here ==> http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=355341). I see 4 big differences between USC and UCI:
1) USC residents seem to work harder ==> lead to better training?
2) USC residents to work mostly at LAC ==> again, lead to better training?
3) UCI (22) has a smaller residency class than USC (55) ==> may be a pro, if you're trying to stand out.
4) less traffic commuting to/from UCI compared to commuting to/from USC.

If you end up matching at USC for IM and want stay for GI, word on the street is that you need to do basic-science research with a certain well-known GI faculty member (who makes the fellowship rank list himself). Something I picked up from the interview day lunch, for you GI folks.

I interviewed at both USC and UCI; I actually think UCI is pretty solid. Contrary to what NDESTRUKT wrote, UC Irvine matches a good number of their own for GI & Cards (as seen here ==> http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=355341). I see 4 big differences between USC and UCI:
1) USC residents seem to work harder ==> lead to better training?
2) USC residents to work mostly at LAC ==> again, lead to better training?
3) UCI (22) has a smaller residency class than USC (55) ==> may be a pro, if you're trying to stand out.
4) less traffic commuting to/from UCI compared to commuting to/from USC.

If you end up matching at USC for IM and want stay for GI, word on the street is that you need to do basic-science research with a certain well-known GI faculty member (who makes the fellowship rank list himself). Something I picked up from the interview day lunch, for you GI folks.

Thanks for the input! I actually think UCI is pretty good too, although it does remind me of my undergrad campus with buildings scattered everywhere. I guess I don't understand why it has such a negative reputation according to NDESTRUKT. I do feel that USC has better/newer hospitals than UCI, and USC's morning report was kind of amazing!

Last edited:
Can any other applicants or residents comment on their current experience with UCI? I actually really liked the program. I want to get more information on how well they match for fellowship there. I got the feeling from Dr. Rucker that *most* people match, but they pretty much all decide to stay at UCI since it is a sweet location.

Can any other applicants or residents comment on their current experience with UCI? I actually really liked the program. I want to get more information on how well they match for fellowship there. I got the feeling from Dr. Rucker that *most* people match, but they pretty much all decide to stay at UCI since it is a sweet location.

I did a couple of sub-is there. solid place. it can take you to good fellowships. If you are into cards, morton kern is actually a who's who in the card world evidently.

All in all, i think for fellowships (especially Cali fellowships) UCI is a solid place :thumbup:.

Camaraderie was excellent from what i noticed. Area and location are unbeatable. Staff are helpful. Didactics are really good.

All in all, the program is solid, and when OC is thrown into the mix, it really boosts it up as a desired place to spend the next 3 years

I did a couple of sub-is there. solid place. it can take you to good fellowships. If you are into cards, morton kern is actually a who's who in the card world evidently.

All in all, i think for fellowships (especially Cali fellowships) UCI is a solid place :thumbup:.

Camaraderie was excellent from what i noticed. Area and location are unbeatable. Staff are helpful. Didactics are really good.

All in all, the program is solid, and when OC is thrown into the mix, it really boosts it up as a desired place to spend the next 3 years

Thanks adagio! Do you know if most residents were successful in landing a fellowship spot? Seems like 50% of the residents go into a fellowship, I wonder if they have a near 95-100% match rate?

in house fellowships are available. Those that I know landed Cardiology (in house and out), Pulm/CC, Nephrology. I do not know who matched in GI though or heme/onc.

I did not interview there, but I believe that their match list was posted here?

I am curious about their success rate with applicants, I feel like they are solid, just need the confirmation. lol.

Oh, if it was me, i would totally rank it very high (maybe higher than other more (reputable) programs, just because I had so much fun in and out of work there!!!!!!!!!

Driving on the PCH and 405 in the early morning, with fresh breeze hitting your face really make wonders to your productivity on the floors :)

Adagio, do you remember what their call schedule was, and or night float?

Urghh that was long time ago. They adopted the night float system even before then.

I am sorry i cannot remember the short and long call schedule (having done tons of interviews recently really mixed all those schedules in my head)

Urghh that was long time ago. They adopted the night float system even before then.

I am sorry i cannot remember the short and long call schedule (having done tons of interviews recently really mixed all those schedules in my head)

:laugh::laugh:

Same here. From what I remember, it wasn't to bad. All I know is that residents were happy!

I can attest to the happiness of the residents. I spent 3 months there working closely with them.

It was a great time. The sub-i was really a breeze

:laugh::laugh:

Same here. From what I remember, it wasn't to bad. All I know is that residents were happy!
first post! sorry to burst your bubble drvannostran, but here are some of my honest opinions about UCI (lets just say i know the place well). adagio, glad you like the place.
1. yes dr rucker tries to convince you that ppl stay at uci for fellowship because its in a sweet location. i dont think thats entirely true. uci is not a great program, and i'd argue that its a weakness for any program to match a lot of ppl into their own (except for the great programs of course)--and no its not because residents love uci and its location so much that they want to stay. uci is not really in that great of a location. its in the city of orange which is a very boring city, and is about a 25 min drive from all the great locations (long beach, seal beach, huntington beach, newport). because the city of orange is so boring (unless you really like the angels or disneyland), most ppl drive that 25+ min to get to work. VA is in long beach though, and you do spend a good amnt of time there.
2. their residents are NOT all happy. i would argue that a lot of their residents are not happy. they feel overworked while on wards. they routinely go over 80 hrs a week. they HAVE NOT been able to solve the new scheduling that comes with the work hour restrictions (im sure uci is not alone here). that being said, they only have 6 months of inpatient wards a year in comparison to the prelims there that have 9.
3. as for fellowships--> they do take 2 out of 4 of their own i believe in both cards and GI. i dont know what their exact percentages for matching are but i would guess its around 70%. and i would say that a slight majority, maybe 60%? go on to specialize.
4. didactics are hit or miss. morning report at the VA>>UCI. same with noon conference. this is mostly because a certain ID doctor at the VA likes to teach and makes a lot of the didactics more interesting and worthwhile. morning report at UCI is pretty dry and lasts ~20-30min, and has served well as a time to check my email on my phone and shake the cobwebs out of my head for most of the times ive been. grand rounds arent bad though. attendings, as always, are hit or miss (most of the ICU attendings at UCI are spot on in terms of teaching)
5. and did you get a tour of the new hospital at UCI on your interview? beautiful right? well, you spend almost all of your time during inpatient (except for ICU and CCU) in the OLD hospital, which i hear many of the applicants did not tour through for "convenient" reasons. sure you may have walked through the ER in the basement of the old hospital, but the ER has been recently renovated and looks nothing like the ward floors in the old hospital. honestly, this shady tour business on interview day really doesnt sit well with me (and again, im sure uci is not alone here)

all that being said, i truly believe UCI is a solid program. i honestly dont know why it gets a bad rap amongst cali programs but i think it has to do with some really bad controversies/problems the hospital ran into many years back. someone mentioned that kaiser LA was as good as or better than UCI in terms of reputation and fellowship match opportunities, which should be complete BS, but...it might be true. compared to USC, id say its slightly lower on every level, but not by much. also, i think its getting much more competitive to get into UCI, starting with two years ago (i think i can tell by the quality of residents and what med schools they came from)--i think its a good reflection of UCIs improving reputation (along with the fact that every year now seems to have a record number of IM applicants...). how's that for a first post??

Last edited:
There has been a lot of trash talk about this program in previous threads, with many people ranking it lower than Kaiser and Cedar-Sinai. I just interviewed there, and I gotta say... I loved the overall vibe of the program. With the recent change in PD, the program seems to be heading in the right direction. The residents seem happy and not overworked. There are barely any DO's and IMG/FMG's. The location is also a plus.

The one thing that bothered me was the PD not going into details about fellowship match rates. Also, it seems that an unusually high percentage of USC residents go into primary care (50% in one of the classes). I'm not sure if it's because they failed to match into fellowship or simply due to choice. Anyone know the current situation at USC in terms of fellowship match rates, especially for Hem/Onc?

Thanks guys!

There has been a lot of trash talk about this program in previous threads, with many people ranking it lower than Kaiser and Cedar-Sinai. I just interviewed there, and I gotta say... I loved the overall vibe of the program. With the recent change in PD, the program seems to be heading in the right direction. The residents seem happy and not overworked. There are barely any DO's and IMG/FMG's. The location is also a plus.

The one thing that bothered me was the PD not going into details about fellowship match rates. Also, it seems that an unusually high percentage of USC residents go into primary care (50% in one of the classes). I'm not sure if it's because they failed to match into fellowship or simply due to choice. Anyone know the current situation at USC in terms of fellowship match rates, especially for Hem/Onc?

Thanks guys!

BUMP...was also wondering about this exact same thing. Anyone know how recent classes have done in terms of fellowship match??

Thanks guys!

"There are barely any DOs and IMG/FMGs.." this statement can be misconstrued in hundred different ways and you certainly have to be careful about what you're saying. It goes back to the old debate of MDs vs DOs vs IMG/FMGs. I've met many horrible, not smart MDs, but on the same token, excellent smart MDs. Same for DOs, and FMGs. It comes down to the personality of the physician...Please be professional and don't stereotype professions... I can only challenge you if you consider yourself a good doctor?

"There are barely any DOs and IMG/FMGs.." this statement can be misconstrued in hundred different ways and you certainly have to be careful about what you're saying. It goes back to the old debate of MDs vs DOs vs IMG/FMGs. I've met many horrible, not smart MDs, but on the same token, excellent smart MDs. Same for DOs, and FMGs. It comes down to the personality of the physician...Please be professional and don't stereotype professions... I can only challenge you if you consider yourself a good doctor?

Let me guess, you're IMG/FMG/DO?

It's not meant to demean people who are IMG/FMG/DO. However, it's roughly used as a metric for strength/competitiveness of the program.

It's not meant to demean people who are IMG/FMG/DO. However, it's roughly used as a metric for strength/competitiveness of the program.

This.

BUMP...was also wondering about this exact same thing. Anyone know how recent classes have done in terms of fellowship match??

With the new-ish program director, I think the residents have definitely noticed a change amongst themselves with respect to recruitment. More residents come from Keck (10+ now vs 1 or 2 previously) than before and there are fewer DO/IMGs.

No details on the fellowship match - only a list of locations (without years listed) are listed in the brochure.

Still hearing that USC "has the potential to be really awesome, but it's not there yet." Then again, change can't happen overnight.

Also, its board pass rate is around 79%, which many have taken to mean that USC works you really hard but you aren't necessarily learning well. :confused: What's listed on ABIM though are rates from 2009-2011, so take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:
With the new-ish program director, I think the residents have definitely noticed a change amongst themselves with respect to recruitment. More residents come from Keck (10+ now vs 1 or 2 previously) than before and there are fewer DO/IMGs.

No details on the fellowship match - only a list of locations (without years listed) are listed in the brochure.

Still hearing that USC "has the potential to be really awesome, but it's not there yet." Then again, change can't happen overnight.

Also, it's board pass rate is around 79%, which many have taken to mean that USC works you really hard but you aren't necessarily learning well. :confused: What's listed on ABIM though are rates from 2009-2011, so take it for what it's worth.

i think their ABIM pass rates will see a bump over the next couple years. but then again, that's just an estimate from the general feel that i got when i interviewed there. cultural change to almost 0 malignancy with a heavy emphasis shifted back to the residents and resident education (probably a combo of the new PD and ACGME regulations)

Hey guys. Just had my usc interview. Was really impressed. Regarding a few of the questions about fellowship placement. Pd said they had 31 people match this past year. 9 went into cardio, and I believe 6 gi and 6 or 7 heme onc and 5 plum. Some impressive names. I saw just about every uc system school named. Stanford, mayo, utsw, johns Hopkins. 2 gi fellows are going to Yale. Sorry I don't remember every detail. But I'll put it this way. If fellowship match is the most important thing to you, It's not really a reason to move USC down your list IMO

Yes I am a DO.

Question about USC Residents

Just interviewed at USC yesterday. I have a pretty general question about the residents. I was fond of the program, but don't know if I was completely sold. Academically and clinically, I feel most residents will be prepared. What worries me (and this may just be a personal issue) is that the residents didn't seem to hang out a lot within the class. It's a large class, so I kept being told by residents that cliques form, and that if you "want to go out" you can find people that hang out. This is very different from East coast programs where people instinctively seemed to say, "I love my class!". Anyone have any input on this?

How bout USC IM program?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Does anyone who interviewed at usc mind posting their match list? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

anyone else receive phone calls from one of the chiefs about being on a "short list"?

Hey i dont know if anyone can answer this question for me, but i interviewed at USC and really liked it but one of my concerns was that i am not proficient in Spanish and i was wondering how big of deal this is at USC where most patient are only spanish speaking?