Have low debt (~ 180), thoughts for future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoopdaboop

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I matched IM (applied neuro + IM and ranked based on location). Low debt as above. I do like GI a lot... but working for fellowship sounds like a pain in the butt. Not sure if I have the desire to work my ass off for it; USDO, 230s steps. Uphill battle for sure.

If you were in my shoes, would you gun for GI? I really liked week on week off as a student (felt like an actual break, not a damn weekend where saturday is what you get off, and sunday you're worried about going back to work). Weeks on where I was were pretty chill, lots of round and go take an admission or 2, leave by 3-4 etc. I don't see the pros of going for GI, if I can make 400k as a hospitalist. I guess the pro would be : procedural, and I'd be richer than rich?

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait until you rotate on GI to decide. I would say the smartest thing to do would be to negotiate money towards student loans in any context you make. I've seen around 25/yr for hospitalist in the southwestern region

GI is mathematically a wise financial decision in 2023 but you sound like you want to be talked out of it which is fine too.

If you’re spending Sunday worried about going back on Monday then you’ve got other problems IMO.

If I were single I might have been more inclined for 7 on / 7 off tbh

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So, I matched IM (applied neuro + IM and ranked based on location). Low debt as above. I do like GI a lot... but working for fellowship sounds like a pain in the butt. Not sure if I have the desire to work my ass off for it; USDO, 230s steps. Uphill battle for sure.

If you were in my shoes, would you gun for GI? I really liked week on week off as a student (felt like an actual break, not a damn weekend where saturday is what you get off, and sunday you're worried about going back to work). Weeks on where I was were pretty chill, lots of round and go take an admission or 2, leave by 3-4 etc. I don't see the pros of going for GI, if I can make 400k as a hospitalist. I guess the pro would be : procedural, and I'd be richer than rich?

Thoughts?
Getting into GI as a DO will be quite uncertain and likely an uphill battle during residency as you mention. You also have to really like GI a lot over general IM and will have to deal with its negatives (eg dealing with poop all day, being on call quite often), and not just do it because of the money alone. The compensation benefit vs IM hospitalist is also much smaller than it looks on paper once you account for factors like 3 additional years of training time, significant taxes paid at higher incomes, hours worked by each specialty, and lost investment time. Break even point usually won't be at least until mid career or later when compared to hospitalist working similar hours. Also, in many cases, for DOs or IMGs to successfully match into GI will involve either doing a chief year or another 1-year fellowship first (eg hepatology), which adds additional training time and further diminishes the financial benefit GI offers over general IM. Compensation can fluctuate a lot over time for a variety of reasons that are hard to predict; it may be pretty good now, but for examples it's always possible CMS may decide to cut reimbursements for EGDs and colonoscopies one day in the future.

For hospitalist, keep in mind in the current market most jobs won't pay $400k or more by just doing 7-on/-off day shifts only (or ~182 shifts per year), unless you are seeing crazy volume on your shifts and pay is largely RVU based. To hit $400k or more will involve a combination of doing extra shifts on your week off, working in a less desirable location (where pay tends to be higher), and/or seeing above average volumes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Thoughts?

People who work M-F will tell you they like their weekends off. I worked that schedule when I when I was an RN, and now I work 7 on/off as a hospitalist, boy! my quality of life is a heck of lot better. Will never go back working M-F or even M-Th.

If you do hospitalist, years from now, you will have to regularly post on SDN to convince yourself and others about how great of a decision you made. Won’t have to do that as a GI doc ;).

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
If you do hospitalist, years from now, you will have to regularly post on SDN to convince yourself and others about how great of a decision you made. Won’t have to do that as a GI doc ;).
Lol... Someone is salty. With all due respect, CCM is not GI.

Last edited:
Patient population is diverse af, which is what draws me to it more so than the scoping everyday 10-20 x a day to drive revenue.