thoughts on the Virginia programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njdevil

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on UVA, MCV & EVMS?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't mind a response to this as well. I interviewed at both UVA and MCV but would like to hear other's thoughts. Someone posted a review on Scutwork for UVA that was pretty much the same view I had.

MD2B1,
Since you interviewed at these places,Please share your thoughts on the program. Everyone opinions can help others in deciding which program is best for them. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to throw this thread back in the mix since I'm interested in these programs.

Here are the impressions I got after interviewing at all three VA programs:

VCU (MCV): Strong inpatient program. Model systems in SCI and TBI. Well-rounded curriculum with plenty of fellowships available at VCU. Only deficiency was in cardio/pulm rehab.

UVA: Focus on outpatient musculoskeletal/pain/sports. Friendly faculty and beautiful hospital.

EVMS: Cush program (even for PM&R :). Otherwise it seemed pretty well-rounded. Research was an admitted weakness. Residents get a lot of exposure to procedures (interventional pain).

Atlantic said:
Here are the impressions I got after interviewing at all three VA programs:

VCU (MCV): Strong inpatient program. Model systems in SCI and TBI. Well-rounded curriculum with plenty of fellowships available at VCU. Only deficiency was in cardio/pulm rehab.

UVA: Focus on outpatient musculoskeletal/pain/sports. Friendly faculty and beautiful hospital.

EVMS: Cush program (even for PM&R :). Otherwise it seemed pretty well-rounded. Research was an admitted weakness. Residents get a lot of exposure to procedures (interventional pain).

What are the negatives of MCV and UVA? I am interested in MCV because I heard it's such a strong program and UVA because I 'm interested in sports medicine. Where will these schools rank for you?

Thanks for your input.

Oops...posted twice. See below.

Both VCU and UVA are great programs but since you asked, here are the negatives:

VCU: Richmond has a high crime rate, particularly homicides. The hospital is very old ("historic"). Like I said before, they don't have any exposure to cardio/pulm rehab. Residents weren't very happy with their experience at the VA, but they are now undergoing some faculty changes there.

UVA: Charlottesville is pricey and a somewhat isolated, small town. The residents complained about the quality of lectures. The inpatient experience was not as strong as other places I had interviewed. The board pass rate is below average. There are no fellowships at UVA and they had a recent "falling out" with the anesthesia-based pain fellowship there.

A great way to find out more inside info is to email residents. Go to the AAPMR website and on the medical student page, there are medical student mentors from different programs.

I'm definitely ranking both programs but would prefer to wait until after the match to share my list. You never know who will be reading these posts. I've heard PD's mention this website. It's not too hard to put one and one together. :eek:

Atlantic,

Thanks for the great posts about the VA programs. Do you or any other posters have any more insight into the Eastern Virgina Program or the city of Norfolk? I am not really interested in the interventional/pain craze like most people and am just looking for a solid program in a nice livable city. Thanks for any info

Thank you for your insight. It is greatly appreciated. Did you happen to do a rotation at either of these sites?