All Branch Topic (ABT) Thoughts on the .mil’s admission of contaminated water on many bases?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes and yes.

Yikes. I remember when the tsunami happened in Japan and a few of our ships got tasked with helping out. A couple of the ships (including my first ship) ended up taking up contaminated water through the ROs, which caused a big spike in the number of cancer cases for those ships. A close friend and colleague of mine ended up with cancer.

Yikes. I remember when the tsunami happened in Japan and a few of our ships got tasked with helping out. A couple of the ships (including my first ship) ended up taking up contaminated water through the ROs, which caused a big spike in the number of cancer cases for those ships. A close friend and colleague of mine ended up with cancer.
No super powers though? Or maybe giant animals attacking the coastline?

It's really unfair that people get cancer, but no superpowers or gargantuas. That seems like a part of life that needs some balancing.

Reactions: 1 user
No super powers though? Or maybe giant animals attacking the coastline?

It's really unfair that people get cancer, but no superpowers or gargantuas. That seems like a part of life that needs some balancing.

It got him a pretty hilarious callsign on our vbss team that I gave him in training.

LOL
Clickbait title

Cliff notes for tl;dr crowd

Chemical X is present at 2 parts per trillion (ppt) in Ft Lawsuit's water supply
EPA only allows 1 ppt.
8% of California rats drinking 2 gallons of Chemical X per day developed cancer
I was TDY at Ft Lawsuit for 2 weeks in 1987.
I got cancer last week.
Where is my check?

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think it's funny. There's a little more to it than the headline. The bigger story is the terrible conditions in some of the private housing that service members are pushed into.
Military leaders apologize for substandard living conditions at family housing
SPECIAL REPORT: Ambushed at Home: Lead poisoning on US bases

Yeah it’s definitely not funny. Multiple people have developed cancer from various contaminated water sources. That’s hardly something to laugh at.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s not LOL click bait when you’ve been living on one or more of those bases for several years, potentially drinking, showering, etc. with water several times, and in some places far higher than that, the EPA max allowable concentration of chemicals known to cause specific cancers and other health problems.
It won’t be funny if you get a cancer associated with those chemicals in your 30s or 40s out of nowhere, or one of your family members, with no family history of early cancer.
Nothing funny about that.
The VA is approving some of these claims. I bet those affected would gladly give up their VA check to be cancer free.

Reactions: 1 users