thoughts on The Body Keeps the Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Recently purchased this book, haven't read it yet. Saw reference today on another psych related site about aspects of the book being controversial but couldn't find (in my admittedly pretty brief look) any specifics about contents of the book itself being controversial (separate from the situation a few years ago when van der Kolk was fired / allegations of bullying etc).

Wanting to read the book to dip into better understanding effects of childhood trauma since it comes up clinically so often in context of my ASD/IDD work. Thoughts about the book/contents? Other recommendations also very welcome!

Related- my prac student just finished the book "It Didn't Start with You" and suggested I add it to my "want to read" list which is much longer than is actually realistic. Any thoughts on quality of that one? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I just picked this up from the library myself. I’ll try and remember to circle back to this thread once I read it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The somatic stuff isn't very strongly supported empirically, and BvdK has been very welcoming of pseudoscience late in his career.
Hard agree. Haven't read the book but the suggestions to read it I see everywhere online (particularly in therapy forums on Reddit) infuriate me. BvDK is seemingly part of the cult of EMDR, so I'm skeptical to say the very least. Am I also correct in remembering that polyvagal theory (yuck) and outdated conceptions of dissociation (see Lilienfeld and Lynn for a more evidence-based construct) also play a role in his argument?

Reactions: 2 users
I read about half of it. All of the amateur therapists think it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread. I didn’t see too much that I disagreed with or seemed like too much of a reach. At the same time, I didn’t really see much new information. In my mind it sounded like traumatic experiences can lead to CNS trauma response and that involves endocrine system that affects the body. I think It’s good to read popular books like that just so I can say, “yes, I read the book and it had some good points about x, y and z and that’s why we are doing this”. Sometimes I might ask what they got from the book and if they are able to actually provide a good answer, it is usually pretty easy to use that to support the treatment we are doing, as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
I read about half of it. All of the amateur therapists think it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread. I didn’t see too much that I disagreed with or seemed like too much of a reach. At the same time, I didn’t really see much new information. In my mind it sounded like traumatic experiences can lead to CNS trauma response and that involves endocrine system that affects the body. I think It’s good to read popular books like that just so I can say, “yes, I read the book and it had some good points about x, y and z and that’s why we are doing this”. Sometimes I might ask what they got from the book and if they are able to actually provide a good answer, it is usually pretty easy to use that to support the treatment we are doing, as well.
Does the author ever define trauma. I swear that word will be meaningless someday.

Reactions: 3 users
Does the author ever define trauma. I swear that word will be meaningless someday.
"Trauma" will be meaningless, and The Body Keeps the Score will become the new Chicken Soup...

In all seriousness, I think people like this book because it is (a) so validating and makes people feel heard; (b) provides explanations (albeit likely not correct or evidence-based ones) for phenomena that people find to be mysterious; and (c) complicit in the modern tendency to pathologize everyday human experience. I am reminded of this nice YouTube lecture:

Last edited:
Is there anything in it about "bilateral stimulation?" Because that ish is all I hear about from mid levels who also love to tout EMDR for like every single psychopathological syndrome.

Reactions: 5 users
Is there anything in it about "bilateral stimulation?" Because that ish is all I hear about from mid levels who also love to tout EMDR for like every single psychopathological syndrome.

No kidding, people here are using it to "treat" addiction and long covid.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I saw a mid-level on the r/therapy subreddit say they "immediately go to their therapist for EMDR processing" any time something particularly distressing occurs in their life. Madness.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I saw a mid-level on the r/therapy subreddit say they "immediately go to their therapist for EMDR processing" any time something particularly distressing occurs in their life. Madness.

Seems like a good business model for their therapist.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

EMDR people absolutely love to pathologize normal daily stressors.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like a good business model for their therapist.
It may also be interesting as a pseudo-religious response of a sufferer going to a pseudo-priest (poorly trained therapist) for pseudo-answers from a pseudo-scientific worldview. One could even consider the 'modern (or post-modern)' conceptualization of one's existence as one in which there should be no problems (strife, pain, existential angst, heartbreak, monotony, stress) and any 'problems' necessitate a visit to the mental health professional (as 'priest') to read the tea leaves and provide a pseudo-scientific ('sciency') explanation and prescription. Like them or hate them, for good or for ill, traditional religions used to provide society an explanatory/coping framework for conceptualizing the suffering of existence and the occurrence of 'evil' (or, more blandly, negative events and stress--i.e., 'things I don't like and make me think that life/existence sucks') as well as what my response should be in the face of existential reality that is not to my liking. As a mental health professional, I have no interest in being maneuvered into a position in society as a 'priest' whose job it is to preach to people from the pulpit of pseudo-science a doctrine that attempts to pseudo-explain the infinitely complex and perplexing 'Problem of Pain' (which C.S. Lewis wrote about).

It's why I am against the (to me) disturbing trend in society to see mental health professionals as modern day 'priests' or arbiters of morality or what is right/wrong...sometimes getting triangulated into decision-making regarding who is 'right' in the context of disputes among parties. For example, the whole 'I have a mental illness that requires me to have a service animal to be okay, therefore, I need an official letter from you 'prescribing' the animal and asserting that they are a 'medical necessity' for me so I can bring my animal to places where the owners don't wish to allow pets (for their own reasons).

My recollection is that he did stick to the DSM definition of trauma, mainly because when clinicians deviate from that and start watering it down and conflating every difficult or challenging experience as a “trauma”, I tend to lose it. When it comes to the pop psych stuff I don’t worry much about that as I don’t have high expectations of lay people to understand the science of what we do. Just had this discussion with my nephew yesterday. Smart kid and seen a lot of you tube videos on psych stuff, but doesn’t know an amygdala from a synapse and it shows in his amateur conceptualization of mental illness.

The internet may have accelerated this dynamic of a little knowledge can be dangerous, but my mom the journalist was reading the pop psychology books of her day and making all kinds of erroneous conclusions so it’s been going on for a long time. Heck, most of the populace still thinks/jokes that we are still having patients lay on a couch and free associate.

Reactions: 1 users
My recollection is that he did stick to the DSM definition of trauma, mainly because when clinicians deviate from that and start watering it down and conflating every difficult or challenging experience as a “trauma”, I tend to lose it. When it comes to the pop psych stuff I don’t worry much about that as I don’t have high expectations of lay people to understand the science of what we do. Just had this discussion with my nephew yesterday. Smart kid and seen a lot of you tube videos on psych stuff, but doesn’t know an amygdala from a synapse and it shows in his amateur conceptualization of mental illness.

The internet may have accelerated this dynamic of a little knowledge can be dangerous, but my mom the journalist was reading the pop psychology books of her day and making all kinds of erroneous conclusions so it’s been going on for a long time. Heck, most of the populace still thinks/jokes that we are still having patients lay on a couch and free associate.
I have found (unsurprisingly) that the degree of confidence a person has in the concept of 'well, sheesh, hasn't 'science' demonstrated that {insert mental health problem X} is 'caused/determined by' {insert biological variable Y} is almost always inversely proportional to their degree of knowledge of both (a) biology/neurobiology, in general and (b) the actual empirical science relating biology/neurobiology to behavior and mental processes.

I taught abnormal psych (undergrad) at a major university over 20 years ago while in grad school and--even at that time--every time I'd start the lecture on a major area of mental illness (mood disorders, psychotic disorders, etc.) some extremely smug 19-year-old dewy-eyed polymath would raise his/her hand at the beginning of the lecture and proudly announced what they believed was a rhetorical question of, "yeah...but haven't 'they' found that 'it's all explained by {biology/genetics/neurotransmitters}?" I mean, can't we all just close up our books and go home and write 'serotonin' on our bluebook exams and retire to the quad for ultimate frisbee?

Fun times.

For example, the whole 'I have a mental illness that requires me to have a service animal to be okay, therefore, I need an official letter from you 'prescribing' the animal and asserting that they are a 'medical necessity' for me so I can bring my animal to places where the owners don't wish to allow pets (for their own reasons).

Unrelated; I'm still amazed that this happened with regularity. It's analogous to asking a treatment provider to complete a psycho-legal evaluation on their patient. Can't believe more suits didn't come about as a result of it.

Unrelated; I'm still amazed that this happened with regularity. It's analogous to asking a treatment provider to complete a psycho-legal evaluation on their patient. Can't believe more suits didn't come about as a result of it.
What is an amazing (but, in a certain sense, completely understandable) observation is the absolute *deafening silence* over the past decade+ of this horsecrap running rampant from the MAJOR professional researchers/scholars (with the exception of some popular piece from the founder of PE) in the CBT for PTSD arena. I mean, the whole service dog for PTSD model is diametrically opposed to the purported central mechanisms of treatment of CPT (cognitive distortions, irrational beliefs) and PE (exposure). But no one has published (that I have seen) any kind of definitive central counter-attack in the relevant professional literature to this widespread practice. On my more charitable days I chalk it up to the whole, 'Well, it's obvious nonsense so therefore not worth my time' attitude but on my more cynical days I chalk it up to the 'holy hell, if I come out publicly 'against' service animals, then I will be attacked by the mob.'

There probably aren’t more suits because most of the pet letters are obtained at the request of the landlord. “Yes, you can have a pet, but you need to get a pet letter.”. Kind of stupid and I don’t like to be involved but that is the dynamic I have run into the most.

It may also be interesting as a pseudo-religious response of a sufferer going to a pseudo-priest (poorly trained therapist) for pseudo-answers from a pseudo-scientific worldview. One could even consider the 'modern (or post-modern)' conceptualization of one's existence as one in which there should be no problems (strife, pain, existential angst, heartbreak, monotony, stress) and any 'problems' necessitate a visit to the mental health professional (as 'priest') to read the tea leaves and provide a pseudo-scientific ('sciency') explanation and prescription. Like them or hate them, for good or for ill, traditional religions used to provide society an explanatory/coping framework for conceptualizing the suffering of existence and the occurrence of 'evil' (or, more blandly, negative events and stress--i.e., 'things I don't like and make me think that life/existence sucks') as well as what my response should be in the face of existential reality that is not to my liking. As a mental health professional, I have no interest in being maneuvered into a position in society as a 'priest' whose job it is to preach to people from the pulpit of pseudo-science a doctrine that attempts to pseudo-explain the infinitely complex and perplexing 'Problem of Pain' (which C.S. Lewis wrote about).

It's why I am against the (to me) disturbing trend in society to see mental health professionals as modern day 'priests' or arbiters of morality or what is right/wrong...sometimes getting triangulated into decision-making regarding who is 'right' in the context of disputes among parties. For example, the whole 'I have a mental illness that requires me to have a service animal to be okay, therefore, I need an official letter from you 'prescribing' the animal and asserting that they are a 'medical necessity' for me so I can bring my animal to places where the owners don't wish to allow pets (for their own reasons).
I love it when people say something that resonates with you.

Everyone wants to be comfortable today - but that word doesn't mean what people think it means. It doesn't mean cushy - it comes from the latin "co" - meaning with and "fortis" meaning strength. Comfort means to be with strength.

Whenever I hear about access to "mental health" being a cause of a shooting or something, I get incredibly uncomfortable. Maybe it's because it's another priestization of our field? But, also I'm like, "mental health services" don't really work like that for referred patients and what not...

What is an amazing (but, in a certain sense, completely understandable) observation is the absolute *deafening silence* over the past decade+ of this horsecrap running rampant from the MAJOR professional researchers/scholars (with the exception of some popular piece from the founder of PE) in the CBT for PTSD arena. I mean, the whole service dog for PTSD model is diametrically opposed to the purported central mechanisms of treatment of CPT (cognitive distortions, irrational beliefs) and PE (exposure). But no one has published (that I have seen) any kind of definitive central counter-attack in the relevant professional literature to this widespread practice. On my more charitable days I chalk it up to the whole, 'Well, it's obvious nonsense so therefore not worth my time' attitude but on my more cynical days I chalk it up to the 'holy hell, if I come out publicly 'against' service animals, then I will be attacked by the mob and be painted
I love it when people say something that resonates with you.

Everyone wants to be comfortable today - but that word doesn't mean what people think it means. It doesn't mean cushy - it comes from the latin "co" - meaning with and "fortis" meaning strength. Comfort means to be with strength.

Whenever I hear about access to "mental health" being a cause of a shooting or something, I get incredibly uncomfortable. Maybe it's because it's another priestization of our field? But, also I'm like, "mental health services" don't really work like that for referred patients and what not...
There is a problem with how the masses generally view 'science.'

'Science' is not a set of answers. 'Science' does not provide an explanation or comprehensive world view within which to understand, formulate, and solve all of life's existential problems. *Fallibility and doubt* represent the core values of science far more than *omniscience and certainty* do--at least among those who truly understand 'science' as a way of attempting to ask and answer certain questions within a certain domain. Most importantly, 'science' cannot fill the void in human individuals or societies that religion, family ties, and even existential approaches to life were intended to (albeit imperfectly) fill.

There also is not single 'scientific method' or universal set of assumptions that aren't debatable or aren't being hotly contested at this very moment by philosophers of science as well as actual practicing scientists (e.g., modern theoretical physicists). Of course, the logical positivist (logical empiricist) approach is the most widely practiced 'scientific' approach in the social sciences like psychology and has a great deal of merit in taking psychology out of the 'dark ages' of endless rudderless philosophical speculation and hero-worship of particular clinicians and their pet schools of thought. Throw in some Kuhnian notions about scientific paradigms and paradigm shifts, some Popperian falsificationist concepts and that constitutes the 'meat and potato' mainline approach to scientific psychology (running 'experiments' to potentially falsify the null hypothesis by 'rejecting the null' based on certain results that strain probabilistic credulity (alpha <0.05, or 0.01--but, as Jacob Cohen famously wondered, 'Surely God Loves p<.06 as much as p<.05' and 'The World is Round (p <.05)').

The greats in the field, including Meehl, were consistently aware and consistently expressed through their writings this understanding that we don't 'have it all figured out' with respect to *a* or *the* approach/methodology to 'scientific psychology' but this, coinciding with the deification of the A-B-C (CBT) worksheet model of psychotherapy, seems to have gone by the wayside in recent decades. Now, Stephen C. Hayes and Stefan Hofmann are starting a 'revival' of sorts of this level of awareness...but, to me, it has been frustratingly slow in catching on in the field, overall.

Last edited:

You know it's funny that this gets brought up in the context of this thread. While we might be placed in the role of spiritual leader in current times, Van der Kolk is one of many proponents of mindfulness. I pays to be familiar with the religion/philosophy which has been the basis or much modern psychotherapeutic work...Buddhism. Suffering is part of life. Radical acceptance that we cannot stop the suffering can be prescribed to address issues without leaning on pseudoscientific "cures" at all. It is not the answer most people want, but it is the answer I will give them.

You know it's funny that this gets brought up in the context of this thread. While we might be placed in the role of spiritual leader in current times, Van der Kolk is one of many proponents of mindfulness. I pays to be familiar with the religion/philosophy which has been the basis or much modern psychotherapeutic work...Buddhism. Suffering is part of life. Radical acceptance that we cannot stop the suffering can be prescribed to address issue without leaning on pseudoscientific "cures" at all. It is not the answer most people want, but it is the answer I will give them.
In the case of 'radical acceptance' I would offer the popular internet meme/.gif of the little girl with her hands up, proclaiming, "Why not both?" LOL

Spiritual/religious concepts and practices could certainly serve quite practical salutary mental health functions (lowering blood pressure through blunting the stress response) while simultaneously serving the function it was designed to serve in the religious context (within the individual).

Maybe it works on both levels and in both arenas.

THAT it works is, obviously, a separate issue than, specifically, WHY or HOW it works (what explanatory frameworks are summoned to explain the effects). Which, sort of, makes the 'professional scientific' explanation provided by a MH professional at $150/hr kind of redundant an unnecessary. If the person utilizes mindfulness even 'mistakenly' (or is it?) due to an intra-personal 'explanatory framework' that happens to be 'religious/spiritual' (Buddhism?) in nature...is their understanding of the relevant bio-psycho-social empirical research into the mechanisms of its utility useful for that individual? Maybe.

Just thinking out loud.

In the case of 'radical acceptance' I would offer the popular internet meme/.gif of the little girl with her hands up, proclaiming, "Why not both?" LOL

Spiritual/religious concepts and practices could certainly serve quite practical salutary mental health functions (lowering blood pressure through blunting the stress response) while simultaneously serving the function it was designed to serve in the religious context (within the individual).

Maybe it works on both levels and in both arenas.

THAT it works is, obviously, a separate issue than, specifically, WHY or HOW it works (what explanatory frameworks are summoned to explain the effects). Which, sort of, makes the 'professional scientific' explanation provided by a MH professional at $150/hr kind of redundant an unnecessary. If the person utilizes mindfulness even 'mistakenly' (or is it?) due to an intra-personal 'explanatory framework' that happens to be 'religious/spiritual' (Buddhism?) in nature...is their understanding of the relevant bio-psycho-social empirical research into the mechanisms of its utility useful for that individual? Maybe.

Just thinking out loud.

Can't disagree. The question is whether practical religious practices are available to people in this country. Between Pat Robertson claiming to leg press a car, Creflo Dollar hitting devotees up for a private plane, and Hillsong's greatest hits it certainly seems like religion has bowed at the altar of capitalism far worse than psychology. I don't have university or plane money yet, even charging $200/hr.

• Haha
Can't disagree. The question is whether practical religious practices are available to people in this country. Between Pat Robertson claiming to leg press a car, Creflo Dollar hitting devotees up for a private plane, and Hillsong's greatest hits it certainly seems like religion has bowed at the altar of capitalism far worse than psychology. I don't have university or plane money yet, even charging $200/hr.
I think a better question is what is the new religion? The need for dogma, simple world view, something to explain the things we cant, ascribe meaning externally, and pursuit of values do appear to be central to human nature. Is this why we "science" chanted like a prayer "the science is definitive! it says (whatever point is beneficial for my tribe)?

I think a better question is what is the new religion? The need for dogma, simple world view, something to explain the things we cant, ascribe meaning externally, and pursuit of values do appear to be central to human nature. Is this why we "science" chanted like a prayer "the science is definitive! it says (whatever point is beneficial for my tribe)?
Maybe to some degree, though I always personally shy away from these comparisons because certain breeds of anti-intellectual seize on similar lines to dishonestly make a point by saying that "science is just religion for atheists" or some other absurd comparison meant to diminish the value of scientific information (e.g., those who fought tooth-and-nail against COVID restrictions, mask wearing, and vaccination). While those of us who are inundated in science can talk about the nuances of "science" and the fallacy behind saying "the science is settled," I do think we have to be careful to thoroughly elucidate what we mean when say that, else we risk some dunderhead saying, "See, even scientists admit the science isn't settled! So climate change may very well be a myth!" Of course we mean nothing of the sort, only that no body of work, even one as robustly replicated as climate science, can ever offer a 100% accurate picture of reality and that some question or very slim doubt exists regarding a model's ability to perfectly predict the future. Inevitably, someone comes along and says "See, even scientists have doubts!" without bothering to educate themselves on what we mean by "doubt" and what we mean when we say "it isn't completely settled" (by which we mean, "We are virtually certain that x is occurring, is caused by y, and will have z negative outcomes, but some of the fine details are still under investigation," not "We aren't sure this is even real"). Of course you and everyone here knows this...I'm just spouting off. Still, I find it a tricky line to walk to try and explain to some less-than-well-informed folks how close to absolutely certain we are about some things (climate change, to continue the analogy) even if some questions (which are minor in comparison to recognizing the enormity of the climate situation; e.g., "Is it 1.3 degrees or 1.5 degrees warming over the next decade?") remain open. Anyway, it is growing late on the east coast and my thoughts are kind of muddy and incoherent, so I may have done a poor job explaining myself...suffice it say that while I agree it is important for scientists to recognize the limitations of science and not "religify" it, it also makes me nervous to think about how to navigate presenting that message to the public clearly so as to avoid further harming some folks' faith in the enterprise and causing as much harm as good. No doubt there are those who will take scientific nuance out of context simply because they can (ahem, looking at you, young-earth creationists) and continue pushing the narrative that "science is just faith for atheists" or whatever bilge they will spew, but I fear the potential of giving them ammunition. And I know that's not what you were getting at here, it's just something my brain went to when reading this.

Last edited:
Aww man, I don't check SDN for a few days and I miss a van der Kolk discussion!

I think it's an important work and has a lot of great concepts, but as WisNeuro said the somatic stuff is not well supported. I'm not a fan of how this book have been used recently to bash PE and promote EMDR. van der Kolk is imo doing a lot of harm to the trauma field right now and he is ubiquitous. I think every week I get a PESI ad for trainings on "somatic therapy" with van der Kolk's people. We have some very well meaning therapists in my clinic who absolutely love him and promote his stuff, too.

Reactions: 4 users
I don’t think I ever got to the part about somatic experiencing. Not surprising, I tend to not finish books that have an “answer” and I think I know why. I read the whole book How to Change Your Mind though. I like a book that asks more questions than it answers and of course always dug the whole tune in turn on and drop out stuff from the 60s.

Sorry to resurerect this thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has book recommendations for learning about trauma for a non psychologist/mental health provider audience. I have to watch these videos on trauma for my volunteer role as a CASA (which feels like a drag because this is stuff I learned years ago and they know I'm certified in an evidence-based trauma tx) and write "reflections" on them. In one of the videos, the trainer explicitly recommended The Body Keeps the Score. I'm going to write in my reflection why I do not recommend the book, but I'd also like to include a better book recommendation.

Sorry to resurerect this thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has book recommendations for learning about trauma for a non psychologist/mental health provider audience. I have to watch these videos on trauma for my volunteer role as a CASA (which feels like a drag because this is stuff I learned years ago and they know I'm certified in an evidence-based trauma tx) and write "reflections" on them. In one of the videos, the trainer explicitly recommended The Body Keeps the Score. I'm going to write in my reflection why I do not recommend the book, but I'd also like to include a better book recommendation.
If you're talking treatment, read the (free) VA/DoD Expert Consensus Guidelines for assessing/treating PTSD (just updated in 2023) and/or books on Prolonged Exposure Therapy and/or Cognitive Processing Therapy (see) below:

Expert Consensus Guidelines link:

Oxford University Press Treatments That Work Prolonged Exposure (therapist and client manuals) link:
Amazon product

Amazon product

Cognitive Processing Therapy manual link(s):

Amazon product

Amazon product

As far as general good texts on PTSD, I have these and can recommend them:

Amazon product

Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for PTSD: A Case Formulation Approach: 9781462541171: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Clinician's Guide to PTSD: A Cognitive-Behavioral Approach eBook : Taylor, Steven: Kindle Store

And, since many people with PTSD will outright refuse to do a trauma-focused approach (at least at first) and/or can't make weekly meetings, and/or have difficulties identifying specific cognitions, beliefs, thoughts, or 'stuck points,' I'd also recommend the following two cognitive behavioral workbooks (one on behavioral activation for PTSD, another for anger management):

Edit: I know you said for a non-psychologist/ mental health audience and these are 'professional' books but, still, I think most of them are accessible to a lay audience, especially the workbooks. Unfortunately, the less 'professional' the books are, the less accurate and useful I generally find the information in them to be and bad information can be worse than no information

I also haven't really found a PTSD book that I like for laypeople. I would instead recommend reading the National Center for PTSD website at www.ptsd.va.gov