Thoughts on SMP programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jole89

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So here's what is going through my head right now. I completed my B.S. in Biological Sciences and a minor in Medical Anthropology June 2018 with a cumulative 3.14, amcas sgpa 2.79, and aacomas sgpa 2.88 took the MCAT 3 times and never got more than 503. I am a first gen college student and well at the start of college never really knew what the path to medicine looked like. If you were to look at my transcript you'd see that I did have an upward trend but my GPA (2. 3 1st year->3.14) was just very low at the start and so bringing it up was difficult. Those core science classes the first two years and physics really were a struggle but I got As and B+s in all of my upper div bio and lab courses.

I thought that if I could score high enough on the MCAT and given my background, volunteering, and statemetn it would balance out my low GPA. So I spent the first year after of school between retail jobs and studying for the MCAT- unfortunately had a death in the family that hugely impacted my study schedule and well that first MCAT was tragic. Took it two more times and only scored 3 points higher. Looking back I know this was a huge mistake on my part. I should've really taken some more time to enhance my study plan. It goes without saying that I did not get in anywhere (MD/DO).

I have been scribing for a year now without much of plan or thought as to whether i should even apply or consider another career. Believe it or not I didn't know about SMP programs. I'd heard about post baccs but from what I understood those were for career changers. I meet the GPA and MCAT for a handful of programs and bc I did well in my upper divs I think I could really do well.

I AM SCARED that I'll do this and be rejected again and then I'll hate myself for going through it and putting myself in debt only to be rejected again . I think that after that first rejection my self esteem and confidence took a down turn and it's been hard to believe in myself the way I did before. SO WHAT DO YOU THINK? IS SMP A GOOD IDEA?

.Most SMP programs have closed app cycles this year so I'd be waiting until spring 2021 to apply. I'm looking for 1 year programs, preferably in CA and those that offer fin aid. Any input?

I'm also seeing that some programs offer certificate and others don't. Does this mean MS degree?

P.S I am 24, will be 25 in March 2021. IDK I've seen some people take age into consideration.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We'll be glad to help, but could you ask your questions without the wall of text, and delete the life story bits.

If you wish to practice medicine in the US, go to a US med school. But first, you have to make sure that you can handle a med school curriculum.

Are you planning to get into med school, or get into med school according to some unrealistic timeline?

In the mean time, read this:

We'll be glad to help, but could you ask your questions without the wall of text, and delete the life story bits.

If you wish to practice medicine in the US, go to a US med school. But first, you have to make sure that you can handle a med school curriculum.

Are you planning to get into med school, or get into med school according to some unrealistic timeline?

In the mean time, read this:

Would really appreaciate all the help you can give. I think my wall of text there was me venting, I apologize.

I do want to practice in the US. I was in a very low mental place at the time when I was considering Mexico so didn't think much about it.

I do think I am able to handle the curriculum. Like I had said before the first years that really hurt my undergrad GPA were a struggle (never Ds or Fs but more than a handful Cs) but I know I am a better student now and eager to learn and one day practice medicine.

Is the idea of me starting med school in the next 2-3 years an unrealistic timeline?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a first gen college student and well at the start of college never really knew what the path to medicine looked like.

A lot of people have that experience.

I did have an upward trend

Great.

unfortunately had a death in the family that hugely impacted my study schedule and well that first MCAT was tragic.

I'm sorry that you went through that.

The MCAT is a high stakes, career-determining exam. If you cannot take it at peak performance, you have to postpone it.

Took it two more times and only scored 3 points higher. Looking back I know this was a huge mistake on my part. I should've really taken some more time to enhance my study plan. It goes without saying that I did not get in anywhere (MD/DO).

STOP. All scored exams will be seen by the schools you apply to. Don't make this any worse!

I have been scribing for a year now

Great.

I AM SCARED that I'll do this and be rejected again and then I'll hate myself for going through it and putting myself in debt only to be rejected again . I think that after that first rejection my self esteem and confidence took a down turn and it's been hard to believe in myself the way I did before. SO WHAT DO YOU THINK? IS SMP A GOOD IDEA?

That's a perfectly legitimate fear.

I would not recommend beginning an SMP unless you're willing to make major changes to the way you go about things. I mean this in the kindest way possible - you took the MCAT multiple times when you knew you weren't ready (recent death in the family). This tells me that either (1) you did not do your due diligence and were unaware that multiple attempts would look bad, or (2) you are a poor judge of your own performance (i.e., didn't take practice tests, or took them incorrectly).

You also need to be mindful that your college GPA is not reflective of a student who knows how to learn in the way medical students need to know how to learn.

Fixing your studying tactics, and becoming more conscientious overall, would be a herculean effort. Unless you're willing to do that, I wouldn't recommend going forward.

.Most SMP programs have closed app cycles this year so I'd be waiting until spring 2021 to apply. I'm looking for 1 year programs, preferably in CA and those that offer fin aid. Any input?

That's perfect - if you want to go forward, that's one year to start building a "New Me" application.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Would really appreaciate all the help you can give. I think my wall of text there was me venting, I apologize.

I do want to practice in the US. I was in a very low mental place at the time when I was considering Mexico so didn't think much about it.

I do think I am able to handle the curriculum. Like I had said before the first years that really hurt my undergrad GPA were a struggle (never Ds or Fs but more than a handful Cs) but I know I am a better student now and eager to learn and one day practice medicine.

Is the idea of me starting med school in the next 2-3 years an unrealistic timeline?
If you can get into a SMP next year, then yes, it's doable.

If you can get into a SMP next year, then yes, it's doable.

One last thing, beacuase I am aiming to improve my GPA would an SMP be better than a DIY community college postbacc? What about doing a normal masters? Do schools give preference to improved undergrad as opposed to good graduate GPA (with low undergrad)?

One last thing, beacuase I am aiming to improve my GPA would an SMP be better than a DIY community college postbacc? What about doing a normal masters? Do schools give preference to improved undergrad as opposed to good graduate GPA (with low undergrad)?
I lean to SMPs because they're the back door into med school. Higher risk, but higher reward.

What schools want to see is a sustained stretch of academic excellence, whether UG or graduate.

Reactions: 1 users