Those who scored >250 on Step1, how did you prepare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What were your books and strategy? And how many hours a week? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

would also be very eager to hear how you "uber-geniuses" prepared......

I'd actually settle for how people prepared who got better than 230.

later

Originally posted by cbc
What were your books and strategy? And how many hours a week? Thank you.

I used the Kaplan lecture notes and read them. I also used first aid and a few others. Also lots of questions including qbank, qbook, robbin's pathology, etc.

I studied about 10-12 hours per day *7 days/week * 5 weeks.

best of luck.

Here are the books I used, to varying degrees (ranked 1-5, 1 being the most helpful)

First Aid 1
Kaplan Q-Bank 1
BRS Path 2
BRS Phys 2
High Yield Behavioral Science 3
High Yield Anatomy 3
High Yield Neuro 4-5
Neuro Made Ridiculously Simple 3 (very simple, but sufficient)
High Yield Embryology 5
Lippincott's Pharm Cards 2
Bug Cards 2
Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple 4

Studied for about 5 weeks. Took my test in June (256/99).
Would suggest focusing on First Aid and Q-Bank.

Members don't see this ad :)
study your a$$ off the first two years of medical school and step 1 falls into place...that's the best advice i can give. the next best thing you can do is make sure you give yourself an adequate amount of time to study and do practice questions. there are a lot of questions available from the nbme and kaplan.

Is it true rather than torching us on details on STEP 1, they use rather Fundamental concepts and try to measure your analytical, reasoning, and problem solving ability.

I guess what I am asking is, know the CRITICAL CONCEPTS in each class and LEARN to apply them i.e. know concepts on First Aid Cold and apply them with underground vignettes and Q-Bank.

Or memorize as much detail as you can in Lange's Physiology, Big Robbins, Gatzong Pharm, and textbooks.

I figure the USMLE is a thinking exam with ESSENTIAL concepts twisted to measure your reasoning an application skills. However, I am not getting the feeling that they will hammer you on some minutiae detail one covered in a 5 minute block in a 1st year physiology class.

What does the USMLE really measure? Achievement i.e. accumulaton of body of knowledge including details or Thinking ability.

I, personally, found a lot of details: I was actually asked a chemical structure! Other people have told me that they got mostly long clinical questions full of irrelevant detail.

Maybe that's how I got the 260 :D

Originally posted by OneStrongBro
What does the USMLE really measure? Achievement i.e. accumulaton of body of knowledge including details or Thinking ability.

I felt it was more the former than the latter.

Q: Is it true rather than torching us on details on STEP 1, they use rather Fundamental concepts and try to measure your analytical, reasoning, and problem solving ability.

A: Yes and no...it is a mix of knowing details but it also tests your problem solving ability. When you think about it, a test design like that makes sense when you consider what a physician does on a daily basis (applies a vast fund of knowledge to a variety of challenging and different problems).

Q: What does the USMLE really measure? Achievement i.e. accumulaton of body of knowledge including details or Thinking ability.

A: Again, both.

I figure the USMLE is a thinking exam with ESSENTIAL concepts twisted to measure your reasoning an application skills. However, I am not getting the feeling that they will hammer you on some minutiae detail one covered in a 5 minute block in a 1st year physiology class.

Sorry, bro. It is actually entirely minutiae. Some easier than others, but it really is a fact-based test, not a reasoning test.

Originally posted by kcrd
Sorry, bro. It is actually entirely minutiae. Some easier than others, but it really is a fact-based test, not a reasoning test.

Hmmm.........

This reminds me of the old debate about memorization versus "understanding."

My instructors always tell us to "seek to understand, not memorize."

However is seems they always forget to tell us though that, in order to truly understand, you must have first memorized everything.

[Example: I challenge anyone to go into a test about the clotting cascade with a good understanding of how it works, but without memorizing the clotting factors, protein c & s, etc. See how well you do then.]

Can I get a "hell yeah" on that one? :laugh:

If that is the case...it is better to MEMORIZE as much as one can tolerate from a BIG ROBBIN'S Pathology textbook than memorizing "simple" concepts on the First Aid series.

I guess the old adage is true. If you want average STUDY First Aid forward and backward. However, if you want 250+, memorize as much as you can your 1st two years.

Man, i am going to need a lot of coffee. I bet at Sam's Club I can buy a crate of Folgers. Back up the truck, and load up!!!!

HEY GUYS, give me a cookbook of HOW TO score that high. I trust you guys so please be genuinely honest with me. Besides, if my goal comes to fruition, I will send each one of you a bottle of the finest WINE from Napa Valley. I promise you with my life on it. Please be detailed if you can. I really need you guy's help.

P.S. I have 5 months until D-Day!!!

If that is the case...it is better to MEMORIZE as much as one can tolerate from a BIG ROBBIN'S Pathology textbook than memorizing "simple" concepts on the First Aid series.

I guess the old adage is true. If you want average STUDY First Aid forward and backward. However, if you want 250+, memorize as much as you can your 1st two years.

Man, i am going to need a lot of coffee. I bet at Sam's Club I can buy a crate of Folgers. Back up the truck, and load up!!!!

HEY GUYS, give me a cookbook of HOW TO score that high. I trust you guys so please be genuinely honest with me. Besides, if my goal comes to fruition, I will send each one of you a bottle of the finest WINE from Napa Valley. I promise you with my life on it. Please be detailed if you can. I really need you guy's help.

Yeah man I think that's basically right. I'd love to hear some really detailed plans for study.

I'm working hard on one right now. I'm planning on posting it when I'm done.

Whatd'ya guys think of starting a little email club for those of us who really want to kick some @$$ on boards?

Wait, I just had a killer idea: I'm starting a new thread momentarily.

:horns:

there is no "cookbook" for scoring a 250+. the bottom line is study real hard and do lots of questions.

A 230, however is a more reasonable possibility for most people willing to put in the effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
Onestrongbro, I scored >230 doing exactly what you are doing so don't fret too much. Different strokes for different folks has already been hammered here, but do what works for you. "Also, memorize a few facts here and there. It can't hurt." (Sarcasm)

I thik review books are a must for studying for classes, and remember, first aid says that one of the biggest mistakes most students make is not using the same books to review with that they used to study with during MS1/MS2 years.

Originally posted by doc05
there is no "cookbook" for scoring a 250+. the bottom line is study real hard and do lots of questions.

I want to echo this because it's true. There's lots of good advice you can get from people, but no one can decide what will be most useful for you but yourself.

Of course this must be true. However, as the OP, I was really asking what are the books that people with >250 used, and in general how did you prepare (as in, using review books first two yrs, ditching every class to study boards material which some do, attending all possible lectures, take kaplan lecture, study 14-18 hrs a day for 2 yrs or maybe 1 yr or maybe 6 months, never eat lunch, what are some things you did or could advise? I'm not looking for the easy way out to get 250; I'm just wondering what people did to try to get it and eventually did). Thanks.

Originally posted by Jaded Soul
I want to echo this because it's true. There's lots of good advice you can get from people, but no one can decide what will be most useful for you but yourself.

Hey cbc. Here's another two cents:

"review books first two yrs"

By subject and in order of their importance:
Physiology: BRS is a must. Physiology and graph/table interpretation is all over this test
Pathology: BRS again
Pharmacology: Lippincott worked well for me, especially in grouping similar drugs together with similar side effects, elimination methods, used to treat x symptom/disease
Microbiology: Lippincott again, but may have been too thorough for what actually showed up on the test
Behavioral Sci: High Yield and first aid. DO NOT BLOW OFF THIS SUBJECT- spend a week and you will not regret it. Many freebies Q's on the exam
Biochemistry: First aid was sufficient
Anatomy: used first aid, textbooks, class notes and XRAYS CHEST THORAX ABDOMEN PELVIS/CT CHEST ABDOMEN PELVIS/MRI HEAD NECK ABDOMEN examples

"ditching every class to study boards material"

Personal choice, although I believe good instructors in key subjects drill the material home in lecture

"attending all possible lectures"

Same as above

"take kaplan lecture"

Didn't do this

"study 14-18 hrs a day for 2 yrs or maybe 1 yr or maybe 6 months"

Wow, all way too much. 5-6 weeks, 8-10 hrs/day, take a full day off per week, work-out/get outside/drink moderately but not too heavily that day: that should do it if you paid attention at all during 2nd year. If you simply must start now (which is not freakish), that's cool too. Pick one of the 7 subjects to review each 2-3 weeks with a group of classmates and meet once a week to grill each other in that subject. That will prepare you for starting your private studying 6 weeks before the test.

"never eat lunch"

That is bad advice. Always eat and drink.

Questions, questions, questions. All 2000 of Q bank (although the integrated vignettes are a waste of time, as the questions are leading in the block format afetr the first one), released items, questions in back of every book listed, even pick another question review book (Pre-test, etc.) and do the questions. I did about 3500. And do as many as you can timed, two hours of them per day!

If as above, 248 (99) without too much stress actually. Took the three days before the test and went to the mountains!

Don't forget your classes for the next few months, as beuacoup info will be coming at you that is very high yield, if your school curric is anything like mine was. Good luck!

Dear ecpiii,

Thank you so much for sharing what you did to prepare for this test. It is very helpful. :clap:

Now, a couple of questions about your test. I know everyone will have a different proportion of questions of their version of the test, but I'm still interested in hearing what the breakdown was for you.

1. Biostatistics - did you have to know about p-values, chi-square, and all that jazz?

2. I'm a D.O. student, and it's pretty well known that we don't learn enough behavioral for USMLE. Do you think knowing first aid and high yield would still be enough, or should I try something a little more expansive like BRS? Can you mention a few things out of behavioral that were hit hard?

3. Genetics and Molecular Bio - How much of this did you see? I was thinking High Yield for these. Whad'ya think?

Again, thanks a ton for sharing. :)

Interesting...
I have heard that there is actually more behavioral sciences and anatomy on the COMLEX than there is on the USMLE. At our school we have a whole section dedicated just to behavioral sciences. So I have to say that I don't agree with you in that DO schools do not focus on behavioral sciences. Biostats yes, but not the behavioral sciences.

Agreed, but even at our school, biostats is well prepared for, and our behavioral science is fully integrated into our Psych class.

We will find the Biochem and Genetics to be really off the wall, I think, but I think the basics can help. i.e. dont forget which way DNA is read to make mRNA, and about cDNA libraries, where transcription starts, the types of mutations and, as with everything, be able to relate it all to a disease process. Triplet repeats, splicing defects, nonsense/missense/frameshift mutations, all the AR/AD/XR diseases. And after all that, they will still throw something at you that you arent prepared for. I am just going to try and squeeze in as much genetics/cell bio as I can, without letting it take up too large a chunk of time.

Goofy one,

You don't need biostats. Understand the principles of sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, what happens to a test when you increase the sensitivity/lower the threshold for a positive test, what the p value stands for, etc. There are NO calculations on the exam.

Can't remember the specifics about what Behavioral Science is on it, just that there were a good 20-30 Q's, 10 of which are the "if a patient does/has this and a family member wants this, what should you do" type of questions that High Yield goes through in detail.

Molecular Bio/Gernetics: it would not hurt to brush up on this, especially sequencing technology, but you will get 1-2 methodology questions about a mol bio test/experiment that you have never heard of, unless you were a total lab stud/geek.

The key to this exam is that you cannot know it all, and they don't expect you to. What they do expect is that you can think at a decent rate of speed when presented with a situation you have never seen before, and reason correctly to the answer choices given. Most questions have the "obvious quick-draw" answer among the false choices to see if you will make the common reasoning errors done on previous exams. The zen thinker puts aside the clock and thinks each one through, and does not take the primrose path.

Party on...

Tanks! :D

Anyone have reading suggestion for genetics ?

Originally posted by ecpiii

You don't need biostats. Understand the principles of sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, what happens to a test when you increase the sensitivity/lower the threshold for a positive test, what the p value stands for, etc. There are NO calculations on the exam.

i had a few specificity/sensitivity/positive predictive value calculations. not a lot, and pretty straightforward, but you should be award that these calculations are out there.

I took Step I last June and did pretty well (265+ / 99). I didn't crack a single book until around March, and then I started studying sporadically, probably around 2-4 hours a day while I tried balancing classes with ongoing lab work and a week-long trip to Europe to help present at a conference. As soon as school ended, I kicked it into high gear and probably studied 12-16 hours a day for about 3 weeks. The key for me was to save almost all of my practice questions until this final 3 week period, during which I did all of Q-Bank (2000 questions), all of WebPath (1000+ questions) and all of the free released USMLE items (which I found to be the most representative of the actual exam, albeit slightly easier). Here is some general study tips for the Step I exam that I prepared for a panel we gave for the second year class (book recommendations are at the end):

When to take it:
1) Be sure not to schedule the exam for late June, as you really need at least a week or two (at least!) to decompress after the Boards before starting rotations. Taking the exam in May could be too early, as it allows little dedicated study time after school ends. Scheduling the exam for early to mid-June is ideal.
2) You can always change your test to a later date, if you are truly desperate. Don?t worry about running out of study time.

Where to take it:
1) Consider taking the exam at home rather than in the city of your med school. You can study in a supportive atmosphere (and enjoy decent food!), while also escaping the inevitable tension that envelops the med school area as the Boards approach. However, if you are someone who is easily distracted at home, or if you don?t have a good Internet connection at home (for the Kaplan Q-Bank questions), then this may not be a wise option for you.
2) Be sure to register for the USMLE early so that you get the location you want! Also, be sure to visit the site a couple of days before the exam so that you know the area well and there are no surprises.

When to start studying:
1) DON?T start studying too early! Starting around March is perfect.
2) There are some things you can do right now, though, that will aid you in studying down the road. The organ-system pathology you learn this year lies at the heart of the USMLE Step I, so while you are learning the material for the first time, you can read some of the appropriate sections in the review books you will use later on, which should help you remember it better. As I was learning each block of pathophysiology in class, I read the corresponding sections in BRS Pathology and BRS Physiology, and I answered the appropriate questions in the Robbins? Pathology question book.
3) Remember, all of the material this year will return on the Boards and throughout your 3rd year clerkships, so be sure to learn it well the first time, not just well enough to pass the block exams!

General Studying Strategies:
1) The one aspect of studying that I think is crucial for everyone is to develop a REGIMENTED schedule! Set concrete goals for yourself with a definite schedule, and then meet them. For example, I allotted 3 days to review BRS pathology, 2 days to review BRS physiology, a week to review First-Aid, etc. I also chose to save all the Q-Bank questions to do at once soon before the exam rather than spread out over months, so I made a goal of completing 300 Q-Bank questions a day for a week.
2) When making your study schedule, be sure to give yourself at least 1 ? 2 weeks of ?safety-cushion? time at the very end, as you will invariably run over your schedule at some point.
3) Consider having a ?master source? where you transcribe all of your study notes. For example, many people my year annotated any new facts that they learned in their First-Aid books, so that near the end of their studying, they only had to consult this one source.
4) Do not use too many review questions too early. The practice questions are most useful after you have already studied some, so don?t feel as if you must start practice questions before the last month of your studying. The one exception, I would say, is for the Robbins Pathology questions, which are especially helpful if you start them now during your classes.
5) Finally, a word about study groups. If you are someone who benefits from study groups, then definitely consider joining one, but DO NOT use study groups as a time to learn or review material. There is simply too much material to learn unless you spend 8+ hours a day with your study group. Study groups are best used to discuss questions that you encountered that you don?t understand the answers to.

What to Study: The following are resources that I used, with an asterix to indicate the relative value
****First-Aid for the USMLE Step I: This book is simply exceptional! Although its format is off-putting to some, it is an amazing compilation of info you need to know, and you should really strive to memorize almost the whole book. Its Anatomy, Pharmacology and Behavioral Sciences sections are especially useful, encompassing almost all of what you need to know of these subjects (especially for Pharm).
****BRS Pathology: Another heaven-sent tool for med students. An imposing book, but again try to memorize all of it, as almost all will be fair game on the USMLE. Best to use early during the year.
****BRS Physiology: A terrific synopsis of all the physiology you need?a big topic on the USMLE.
***Kaplan Q-Bank: A great practice tool, as it uses the real USMLE computer-interface. Wait until they offer the group discount before buying it. Make sure you do every question (2000+), and read all the answers (even for the questions you got right!). I personally like doing the questions in large batches towards the end of studying, rather than spreading them out over several months (you forget too much that way). Also, it is very important that you have a pen and paper with you always when you are answering these questions?write down every fact that you didn?t know (even if you think you will learn it later on). I have close to 20 pages of legal paper inscribed with facts from Q-bank, and this is what I studied the night before the USMLE. Don?t panic?the Q-Bank questions are usually much harder than the real exam, and the real exam isn?t quite as fact-specific as the Q-Bank questions.
***Released USMLE items: These can be downloaded at (http://www.usmle.org/step1/default.htm). Even though only ~250 items are released, these were probably the questions most representative of what I had on the actual test day. Yes, these questions are a bit easier than the real thing, but not by much.
***Robbin?s Pathological Basis of Disease- Self-Assessment and Review: This book is a great deal, especially if you can buy it off of a 3rd or 4th year. The questions and especially explanations are fantastic (the questions are much more difficult than the actual exam, though, so don?t panic). This resource is especially valuable to use starting in your actual second year classes.
***WebPath questions: a free set of over a thousand questions, often with path pictures. Found at (http://medlib.med.utah.edu/WebPath/EXAM/EXAMIDX.html). These questions go quickly, and they are very similar to USMLE questions. Again, write down any facts that you didn?t know that you encounter in these questions.
***High-Yield Microbiology: This book was fantastic! A really great synopsis of micro, covering all you need.
***High-Yield Neuroanatomy: Even though only a few questions on the exam will concern neuroanatomy or neuroscience, spending a day or two with this book is a worthwhile investment. Be sure to learn about the different types of headaches?I had about 5 questions on this subject on my actual exam!
***BRS or High-Yield Behavioral Sciences: Truthfully, I didn?t use either of these (I had the Kaplan Behavioral Sciences notes from my job), but these are great resources for a field that is often overlooked, but comprises a surprising proportion of questions on the USMLE. About 10% of the exam is Behavioral Sciences!
***Micro Cards or Pharm Cards: I didn?t use these, but people who had them seemed to like them. They seemed to spend a bit too much time on these subjects, though?neither of these subjects is covered as much as Path or Physiology.
**Lippincott?s Illustrated Biochemistry: One of the first books I read when I started studying was to quickly review all of this book. It is easy to bog down in this book, though. Biochemistry isn?t a huge topic on the Boards, so the Biochem reviewed in First-Aid is in many cases enough. Be sure to know all the diseases that occur when various lipid products accumulate (Hurler?s, Hunter?s, Tay-Sachs, etc.).
**High-Yield Anatomy: Useful if you have the time, but anatomy questions make up a small portion of the exam (be sure you know the innervation of the hand, though!). Perhaps a better resource would be to just read the Blue boxes throughout Big Moore Clinical Anatomy.
**Step-Up for the USMLE I: This is an organ-system based book, and if you learn better that way, you may like this format more than First-Aid. I found, though, that this book didn?t quite have the same depth of coverage as First-Aid.
*High-Yield Embryology: Devote at most a day to this topic, as it is barely covered on the exam.
*Pathophysiology for the Boards & Wards: A good book, but covers a lot of clinical information that won?t be tested on the Boards.

Thanks a ton. That is the best review I have ever seen. Sounds a lot like what I have scheduled right now (books and everything)

I'm gearing up to start studying in about 2 weeks. We'll be taking the boards in mid-April (the 9th for me). I'll give a list of resources that the classes above me continue to endorse in order of importance. Traditionally, most spend 3-4 solid weeks (we are given a little over 4 weeks off) and maybe an additional 2 weeks lightly beforehand.

1. First Aid
2. Qbank
3. BRS path
4. BRS phys

These have also been endorsed by many, but not nearly as much as the first four:
5. High Yield Behavioral Science
6. High Yield Neuro
7. High Yield Embryo
8. Lippencott or Katzung pharm review
9. Micro Made Ridiculously Simple or Levinson Micro review
10. Webpath

It is kind of crazy that we have them coming up so soon. We've been receiving board review sessions about once a week for different topics i.e cardio phys/path, renal, infxn, antibiotics, etc. Katzung gave us our pharm review the other day for cardio and ANS (amazing how much you forget) and Levinson gave us our Micro review sessions. We're in our last block now and I am looking forward to it being over so that I can focus on studying. Good luck to everyone.

I just took it today and can tell you I studied waaaay too much.

Kaplan Q-bank - excellent format - but very picky and too specific at times. Made me go back and go over specifics I probably didn't need to. (edited)

First Aid - Indispensible. I used last year's which certainly covered every question I had today.

BRS Path - as mentioned, a very handy tool. Trims up a lot of topics. The test seemed to be 60-70% pathophys, so whether it was Pharm, Path, Bioc or whatnot it was good to have some background.

Behav sci - as mentioned, not too rough. Q-bank was really snotty at times. (edited)

Genetics: (edited)

Biostats: (edited)

Pathophys: (edited)

It was challenging, but certainly not unfair. Know First Aid front to back and you'll do fine.

Originally posted by kutastha
Genetics: X linked, AD, AR and that's about it. How can a couple avoid giving birth to a child with X disease when the mother with X disease has two brothers with X disease they all inherited from their mother? (mito inheritance - use egg donor). That was about the toughest genetics q.

kutastha:

Thanks for your the breakdown.

Can you clarify something? Ok, I guess we need to know what all the AD and AR diseases are; did you have many questions on what gene loci were involved w/ each disease, or was it more being able to recognize the disease in the presentation?

Also, what did you study for genetics?

Thanks

Originally posted by Goofyone
kutastha:

Thanks for your the breakdown.

Can you clarify something? Ok, I guess we need to know what all the AD and AR diseases are; did you have many questions on what gene loci were involved w/ each disease, or was it more being able to recognize the disease in the presentation?

Also, what did you study for genetics?

Thanks

(edited)

alkaptonuria (homogentisic aciduria) due to defect in homogentisate dioxygenase. treat with vitamin C or low diets in Phe or Tyr.

Thanks Kutastha

Long fingers and lens dislocation sounds like Marfan

Originally posted by johnstoner
alkaptonuria (homogentisic aciduria) due to defect in homogentisate dioxygenase. treat with vitamin C or low diets in Phe or Tyr.

Where did this come from? I see Marfans and OI spelled out pretty clearly (who says the USMLE doesnt like 'buzzwords? Blue sclera is like a siren going off in my head), but I see no mention of black urine or cartilage in the post?

ANd yes, the defect in Marfan's is fibrillin, it is AD, chromosome 15, and the MC cause of death is aortic dissection, but the most common cause of sudden death is a combination of MVP and heart block. Dissection does not kill instantly and can be repaired (wow, I feel so smart...)

Q: so, what else can cause aortic dissection, in addition to long-standing essential hypertension (ala John Ritter), and Marfan's. I can think of one other thing, but it may be too hotly contested to be on the USMLE.

Originally posted by Idiopathic

Q: so, what else can cause aortic dissection, in addition to long-standing essential hypertension (ala John Ritter), and Marfan's. I can think of one other thing, but it may be too hotly contested to be on the USMLE.

Treponema pallidum, but as you mentioned, the jury's still out.

Originally posted by cbc
Of course this must be true. However, as the OP, I was really asking what are the books that people with >250 used, and in general how did you prepare (as in, using review books first two yrs, ditching every class to study boards material which some do, attending all possible lectures, take kaplan lecture, study 14-18 hrs a day for 2 yrs or maybe 1 yr or maybe 6 months, never eat lunch, what are some things you did or could advise? I'm not looking for the easy way out to get 250; I'm just wondering what people did to try to get it and eventually did). Thanks.

I never used review books in the first two years. I only missed lecture when I was sick or had an appointment. Didn't take Kaplan. I never studied during whatever system I was on until about 10 days before the test. Then, I studied about 3-4 hours per day up until test day. I never missed lunch. :) My saving grace was probably that my school finished teaching everything new by March and did was was basically review for the last 10 weeks. When it was time to prepare for Step 1, I took a hard-core disciplined approach, which I wrote about earlier in this thread.

Originally posted by HMS '05
General Studying Strategies:
1) The one aspect of studying that I think is crucial for everyone is to develop a REGIMENTED schedule! Set concrete goals for yourself with a definite schedule, and then meet them. For example, I allotted 3 days to review BRS pathology, 2 days to review BRS physiology, a week to review First-Aid, etc. I also chose to save all the Q-Bank questions to do at once soon before the exam rather than spread out over months, so I made a goal of completing 300 Q-Bank questions a day for a week.

2) When making your study schedule, be sure to give yourself at least 1 ? 2 weeks of ?safety-cushion? time at the very end, as you will invariably run over your schedule at some point.

3) Consider having a ?master source? where you transcribe all of your study notes. For example, many people my year annotated any new facts that they learned in their First-Aid books, so that near the end of their studying, they only had to consult this one source.

4) Do not use too many review questions too early. The practice questions are most useful after you have already studied some, so don?t feel as if you must start practice questions before the last month of your studying. The one exception, I would say, is for the Robbins Pathology questions, which are especially helpful if you start them now during your classes.

5) Finally, a word about study groups. If you are someone who benefits from study groups, then definitely consider joining one, but DO NOT use study groups as a time to learn or review material. There is simply too much material to learn unless you spend 8+ hours a day with your study group. Study groups are best used to discuss questions that you encountered that you don?t understand the answers to.

This is such good advice (and pretty much exactly how I approached it), that I wanted to draw more attention to it.

Originally posted by Idiopathic
Where did this come from? I see Marfans and OI spelled out pretty clearly (who says the USMLE doesnt like 'buzzwords? Blue sclera is like a siren going off in my head), but I see no mention of black urine or cartilage in the post?

ANd yes, the defect in Marfan's is fibrillin, it is AD, chromosome 15, and the MC cause of death is aortic dissection, but the most common cause of sudden death is a combination of MVP and heart block. Dissection does not kill instantly and can be repaired (wow, I feel so smart...)

dude...i have no idea...i just got this as i was reading my notes for biochemistry. It clearly states that you can get discolored sclera from this stuff. The breakdown of Phenylalanine.

Now some sources say that blue slcera i pathognomonic for OI, and I would say that in a kid, this is true. Some other sources mention it in association with adults over 30 and alkaptonuria, but it is mentioned as 'pigmented sclera'. I had no idea, and I am not sure what to make of this. Regardless, it looks as though you can learn something every day.

To sum up: if I see blue sclera, it becomes OI, with a defect in type I collage and brittle bones (elevated ALP).

As an alternative, I never used a schedule and just studied whatever I felt like each day for 5 weeks. Very satisfied with my score (yes >250). So if you don't like to make schedules, don't. Some people burned out on their schedules and ended up with poor scores. Don't commit yourself to your own arbitrary whim! You'll regret it later, most likely. Some people like schedules though. I don't.