Those who don't return to the U.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roberto

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the fate of the foreign trained M.D. who cannot secure a residency in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

To practice in either the country in which they trained or in some country that will grant reciprocity to his/her degree. It's a major risk that you will take going to a foreign med school.

Especially in light of the bill under discussion [Can't recall the sponsor]. Under part of the proposed legislation, US residency positions would be limited to only 110% of the number of combined US DO & MD graduates. Currently, there are approx 16000 MD & 2000 DO grads per year and circa 26000 residency slots. THAT IS A DRASTIC REDUCTION! And according to the AMA and AOA [see Iserson's book on "Getting into a Residency"] any significant cuts in available residency slots will be subtracted from the FMG/IMG applicant pool...not the domestic pool.

I would be very hesitant to go offshore these days.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

[This message has been edited by OldManDave (edited September 03, 1999).]

did that bill ever pass????????

Members don't see this ad :)
OldManDave said:
...... THAT IS A DRASTIC REDUCTION! ------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03
[This message has been edited by OldManDave (edited September 03, 1999).]

So about five years ago, shortage of physicians was not as bad as it had been before. So it looks like the earliest we are going to be needed would be by the time we retire from our practice. Isn't that nice? Wait! was it a cost cutting piece of arts by some management? If so, we will have to work our @$$ off.....I mean we are going to have more opportunity for experiences in medicine than ever before. Isn't that nice? :smuggrin:

I think almost a quarter of all residents are FMGs. And teaching hospitals couldn't figure out a way to get by with fewer residents. Where else can you get a doctor for 80 hours a week for only $35k?! :) So a graduate of a decent foreign school who has done rotations in the US will have no problem securing a residency.