Thomas Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To those accepted--

I received my acceptance email on the 16th but have not yet seen my acceptance packet in the mail...I got some housing info but that's it...
I am getting kind of worried because I don't know when the deposit is due and I don't know if they are accepting all my prereqs.

So-- is the deposit due two weeks after the date email or the packet?? and how soon did everyone get the packet after the email??

(sorry if this question has already been asked...my internet keeps messing up and I can't look back through the forum)

Thanks!!

The deposit is due two weeks after the email... I received my packet 4-5 days after my email bc of the snow.

Members don't see this ad.

To those accepted--

I received my acceptance email on the 16th but have not yet seen my acceptance packet in the mail...I got some housing info but that's it...
I am getting kind of worried because I don't know when the deposit is due and I don't know if they are accepting all my prereqs.

So-- is the deposit due two weeks after the date email or the packet?? and how soon did everyone get the packet after the email??

(sorry if this question has already been asked...my internet keeps messing up and I can't look back through the forum)

Thanks!!

Hey Sealove,

I interview on the same date as you, and got my acceptance mail on 2/19. The deposit is due 3/3/10 for me (which is about 2 weeks from the initial email acceptance). I would assume you would have the same deadline as well. You should try to contact them soon, because your mail could get lost.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys!
I finally got the packet today (yay!!) so now I can try to stop stressing lol

Did anybody else just receive an email notifying them that they've received a scholarship from jefferson?? I just got one and didn't know I had even applied for one?? No complaints though...any money helps!

Congrats! What kind of scholarship is it?

Hi I was wondering what the food situation is like. I was thinking about moving into the dorms but are there any kitchens there? And I also didn't hear anything about cafeteria's while I was there for the interview. Is there a cafeteria?

I'm also curious about the food situation. I heard that mostly students do not bring their cars because it is expensive and the city is walkable. Is there a decent grocery store nearby or is it far away? Or do you guys mostly eat out all the time?

1) There are no real "cafeterias" the way most of us who went to big universities for our BS/BA degrees think of them (ie dining commons). You can buy snacks in one of the halls and then there's the hospital cafeteria, that's it. "Dorms" are really apartments, they have full kitchens.

You're an adult now, no more of these dining commons/cafeteria shenanigans!

2) Reading Terminal Market is a few blocks away, I buy my meats/veggies/etc.. there. I'll head to the grocery store once a week to stock up on other stuff (4 block walk from campus....I use the car sharing program and drive to the store). I'll drive to costco once a month and load up on other essentials (and non-essentials). Also, chinatown is close if you're into that sorta thing.

Everything you need is in walking distance, everything else you may want might take some extra effort to get to.

Hi I was wondering what the food situation is like. I was thinking about moving into the dorms but are there any kitchens there? And I also didn't hear anything about cafeteria's while I was there for the interview. Is there a cafeteria?

I'm also curious about the food situation. I heard that mostly students do not bring their cars because it is expensive and the city is walkable. Is there a decent grocery store nearby or is it far away? Or do you guys mostly eat out all the time?

1) There are no real "cafeterias" the way most of us who went to big universities for our BS/BA degrees think of them (ie dining commons). You can buy snacks in one of the halls and then there's the hospital cafeteria, that's it. "Dorms" are really apartments, they have full kitchens.

You're an adult now, no more of these dining commons/cafeteria shenanigans!

2) Reading Terminal Market is a few blocks away, I buy my meats/veggies/etc.. there. I'll head to the grocery store once a week to stock up on other stuff (4 block walk from campus....I use the car sharing program and drive to the store). I'll drive to costco once a month and load up on other essentials (and non-essentials). Also, chinatown is close if you're into that sorta thing.

Everything you need is in walking distance, everything else you may want might take some extra effort to get to.

I do remember them saying there was NO cafeteria. There are vending machines, but no actual cafeteria. I agree with the Reading Market. We were there for 4 days and ate there 85% of our meals. It is cheap and there is SO much, I had something different everyday. And they had nice produce from what I saw also!

that terminal Market looked amazing!!! I'm sure that is better than any cafeteria haha!

has anyone shipped their desktop PC? if so, do you recommend it, or should i stick with the laptops? i plan on bringing a laptop regardless, but having a desktop at home would be nice...

has anyone shipped their desktop PC? if so, do you recommend it, or should i stick with the laptops? i plan on bringing a laptop regardless, but having a desktop at home would be nice...

I spent the $90 or so to professionally ship my desktop...i also have two laptops (one for travel, one for class). I would def. recommend bringing a desktop unless you have a 15" screen minimum, even then, I like doing the majority of my work on a large screen.

As an alternative, you can spend $200 on a large monitor and hook it up to your laptop.

Hey has anyone heard back from the February 13th interview yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm flying out to Philly from California in 2 weeks for an interview. I initially planned on arriving in Philly Friday night and go to the interview Saturday morning. But with the unpredictable weather, do you think I should arrive on Thursday instead? Thanks.

Thanks for the advice eggnacho and dreezy, the interview went very well, I actually got accepted :)
but sadly they want me to take a physiology lab kinda mad about that. I gotta find a school that just offers the lab over the summer. Ne way hope 2 see you in the fall and anyone else who's gonna start as well!

Thanks for the advice eggnacho and dreezy, the interview went very well, I actually got accepted :)
but sadly they want me to take a physiology lab kinda mad about that. I gotta find a school that just offers the lab over the summer. Ne way hope 2 see you in the fall and anyone else who's gonna start as well!

When did you interview midnightmarauder? And when did you find out?

When did you interview midnightmarauder? And when did you find out?

my interview was jan 30th, found out on feb 12th via email. i figured it takes about 2 weeks so if your interview was on the 13th they will probably respond in a couple of days

I have to do the same thing!! I found an online physiology course and I wrote to the prof to see if there was anyway I could just take the lab portion... haven't heard from him yet so it may not happen but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck!!!

I have to do the same thing!! I found an online physiology course and I wrote to the prof to see if there was anyway I could just take the lab portion... haven't heard from him yet so it may not happen but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck!!!

really? if the teacher says its ok to just take the lab, could u tell me where the online class is?

really? if the teacher says its ok to just take the lab, could u tell me where the online class is?

yeah of course. its called university of new england. its just for people like us who only have to do prereqs to get into professional school. maybe if you email the guy as well he'll get back to us faster lol

http://www.une.edu/com/online/physiology/

but i haven't spoken with jefferson to see if they accept credits from this source. i am calling tomorrow so i will let you know when i find out!!

Thanks alot, I just emailed the guy he responded pretty quickly, it looks like we have to take the entire course not just the lab. I called jefferson last week and they said any accredited college or university will do. this kinda sucks that class is expensive and I already took Physiology!

yeah of course. its called university of new england. its just for people like us who only have to do prereqs to get into professional school. maybe if you email the guy as well he'll get back to us faster lol

http://www.une.edu/com/online/physiology/

but i haven't spoken with jefferson to see if they accept credits from this source. i am calling tomorrow so i will let you know when i find out!!

Congrats Midnghtmarauder, I wish you best of luck in your future endeavors.

Thanks alot, I just emailed the guy he responded pretty quickly, it looks like we have to take the entire course not just the lab. I called jefferson last week and they said any accredited college or university will do. this kinda sucks that class is expensive and I already took Physiology!

Yeah he said the same thing to me. So sucky. Let me know if you find something!!

Anyone attending the student reception on the 20th?

What's student reception??

Anyone hear anything??
ones who interviewed on the 13th?

HAVENT HEARD ANYTHING YET! Kinda making me worry =(
Its been more than 2 weeks already...

Congrats midngtmarauder! I'm also fulfilling one final prereq class + lab. Looking forward to meeting you in the fall as well! :)

Anyone attending the student reception on the 20th?
Wish I could.. If I have $500 to spare, I'd fly out there in a heart beat.

Poooh, according to the itinerary, the reception is intended for accepted students of jefferson school of health professions, nursing and pharmacy, which includes: an optional tour of housing and jefferson-independence blue cross wellness center, light lunch with the faculty and current students, student panel, and tour of internal clinical facilities.

HAVENT HEARD ANYTHING YET! Kinda making me worry =(
Its been more than 2 weeks already...
Perhaps call them if you need to make a decision ASAP regarding school acceptances and deadline deposits, etc..?

Wish I could.. If I have $500 to spare, I'd fly out there in a heart beat.

$500? man, you guys pay too much to come here...excluding christmas/thanksgiving, going rate is about $240 round trip for a transcon...unless you have to connect out of some podunk town with no major airport.

$500? man, you guys pay too much to come here...excluding christmas/thanksgiving, going rate is about $240 round trip for a transcon...unless you have to connect out of some podunk town with no major airport.

haha, well it was still the holidays when i came up so a bit more expensive. $500 included the lodging, food and other expenses. hope to find better deals for august.

confetti, i'm planning on getting an off-campus apartment with a friend who goes to temple. am i really missing out on anything if i opt to not live on campus..?

is anybody still waiting to hear about an interview?? I had my application submitted months ago and a few weeks ago I just heard that they have everything and they're reviewing my application but i'm still waiting to hear if i got an interview or not! ahh!!

confetti, i'm planning on getting an off-campus apartment with a friend who goes to temple. am i really missing out on anything if i opt to not live on campus..?

oh lordy i hope you don't live anywhere NEAR temple...every temple friend of mine lives FAR AWAY from that campus. Your chances of getting stabbed/robbed/assaulted approach p=1 if you live near temple.

Now, with that said...there were times when I felt like I missed out on a few things. As long as you're not socially inept, it won't make a difference. I got the dorm experience & life as an undergrad...I didn't really care to replicate that in grad school.

I WOULD recommend living within a 5-10min walk of campus though...for those random last-minute get togethers and 12am snowball fights that pop up. Commuters that take the train/drive are at a disadvantage because roads in philly are really really bad (nothing like California where living in Mira Mesa and commuting to La Jolla didn't necessarily kill your social life).

is anybody still waiting to hear about an interview?? I had my application submitted months ago and a few weeks ago I just heard that they have everything and they're reviewing my application but i'm still waiting to hear if i got an interview or not! ahh!!

I'm also waiting for an interview offer!! :smuggrin:

In your case, when did you pay supplemental fees and what was your PCAT scores??

Anyone from February 13th hear anything yet?

Nope. Haven't heard back yet! What's taking them so long? They usually respond within 2 weeks. I called them and they said the applications are still under review..

Last edited:
same here- still waiting.
like yowerd waid, they said they still have our files and they'll notify us when the decision is made.
i just hope it comes soon.

hi all! i'm still relatively new..please be kind :)

I've interviewed a few weeks ago and was realllly impressed with it's program/curriculum (should hear back soon! :xf:)...but at the time, it didn't occur to me to ask this question..but hopefully current JSP students may have an answer?
I know TJU itself is very well-established, but since JSP hasn't had a first class to sit for the NAPLEX yet, does any of you know if the school will offer any services/courses/review sessions that may help ensure their first few graduating classes to have a high % passing rate?

This might be a good question for future interviewees to ask the interviewer? :D

oh lordy i hope you don't live anywhere NEAR temple...every temple friend of mine lives FAR AWAY from that campus. Your chances of getting stabbed/robbed/assaulted approach p=1 if you live near temple.

Now, with that said...there were times when I felt like I missed out on a few things. As long as you're not socially inept, it won't make a difference. I got the dorm experience & life as an undergrad...I didn't really care to replicate that in grad school.

I WOULD recommend living within a 5-10min walk of campus though...for those random last-minute get togethers and 12am snowball fights that pop up. Commuters that take the train/drive are at a disadvantage because roads in philly are really really bad (nothing like California where living in Mira Mesa and commuting to La Jolla didn't necessarily kill your social life).

thanks for the advice! yeah, no worries.. i've been repeatedly warned about the area near temple. we're set on finding an apartment in the center city bubble close to TJU campus. i wouldn't survive without a car in la jolla/sd area but since i don't think i'll have that luxury in my first year, is it common for students to bike to campus or do people usually just walk?

haha, the midnight snowball fight sounded epic! that will be a drastic change from my beloved socal weather, but i'm up for the challenge... i think. time to trade in my surfboard for a snowboard! :scared:

Last edited:
ell-established, but since JSP hasn't had a first class to sit for the NAPLEX yet, does any of you know if the school will offer any services/courses/review sessions that may help ensure their first few graduating classes to have a high % passing rate?

This might be a good question for future interviewees to ask the interviewer? :D

apparently NAPLEX is a piece of cake...i'm planning on studying for 2-3 weeks and taking the test. drop into the pharm forum, and most people agree that the exam is easy.

thanks for the advice! yeah, no worries.. i've been repeatedly warned about the area near temple. we're set on finding an apartment in the center city bubble close to TJU campus. i wouldn't survive without a car in la jolla/sd area but since i don't think i'll have that luxury in my first year, is it common for students to bike to campus or do people usually just walk?

haha, the midnight snowball fight sounded epic! that will be a drastic change from my beloved socal weather, but i'm up for the challenge... i think. time to trade in my surfboard for a snowboard! :scared:

too bad you could both surf and snowboard in CA...on the same day =(

but yeah, most people walk...even stephen doll walks and he's a ~30min walk away (the man is FIT though, holy cow...he does teach a spinning class on campus if you're interested).

also, parking is roughly $175-$225/mo for a spot in center city...all for a car you'll use once a week at the most. I would recommend looking into phillycarshare.org or zipcar.com and signing up with them. There's a nominal fee but you get access to cars parked around the city and it's pay-as-you-go in case you wanted to hit up the mall/costco/grocery stores randomly.

Has anyone heard when school starts yet or orientation? There website doesn't say anything..at least where I am looking. LET ME KNOW :)

For the accepted students. When are all the financial aid paperwork due? The email from Susan states March 15 for current Pharmacy students, but doesn't say anything about the incoming students. Anyone have any idea? I have only done Fafsa, but haven't done any of the other paperwork yet.

thanks confetti! also, i know they've listed the estimated class size of 75 for last year's class on pharmcas, is that the same for this year too?

thanks confetti! also, i know they've listed the estimated class size of 75 for last year's class on pharmcas, is that the same for this year too?
Yeah, that was what I was told at the interview Q&A. Give or take a few, depending on how admissions go.

thanks weetzie!

ahh i wonder if adcom met yet...the wait is killing me!! :scared: lol

Has anyone heard when school starts yet or orientation? There website doesn't say anything..at least where I am looking. LET ME KNOW :)

don't think dates are up...but orientation is typically in the middle of august and first day of class will probably be sept. 1. don't quote me on that. you'll all probably want to start your leases ~beginning of august and spend the two weeks in between getting settled.

OR you can be a hero and fly in for orientation, fly out...and start your lease right before school starts and do your shopping/settling the first two weeks (you probably won't have much going on academically anyway).