thomas jefferson..help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmc05

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to scheduling constraints and unforseen circumstances, I may have to cancel my interview at toimmy j. Is there anyone who has interviewed here already or knows the program well who can tell me anything about the program in terms of %private vs service pts, fellowship placement, work life. Anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

dmc05 said:
Due to scheduling constraints and unforseen circumstances, I may have to cancel my interview at toimmy j. Is there anyone who has interviewed here already or knows the program well who can tell me anything about the program in terms of %private vs service pts, fellowship placement, work life. Anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I interviewed there last week. The residents seemed pretty happy with the place, and there are alot of jefferson students who stay on there. According to the residents the split of private v. service varied alot, but was basically 50 - 50 to 40 - 60 (yes more service...but only slightly). They said the privates there are very dedicated to teaching, and generally gave the residents a good deal of autonomy, but obviously i cant know that. Also, u rotate through the VA and get a little more autonomy there than at Jeff.(about 25 min away). Fellowship placement seemed reasonably good, not spectacular like hopkins, but they get people into solid cards and gi spots. They seemed like they worked hard, and that initially they had some trouble adjusting to the 80 hour week, but were now fully compliant. Great ancillary services with a large hospital in a really good location. Nice program. Obviously not the best one out there, but seemed solid in every respect. Hope that helps.

(I'm a Jeff 4th yr)
One could say that the strength of the program lies in its attendings. They are, for the most part, very dedicated to teaching.

The work life can be rough, from what I see, and from I hear from my older friends who have stayed on at Jeff. They definitely stay very busy, and the call system is a strict q4 team call (but there's night float 7days/week) (but call still goes until 10 pm). The upside of all this, though, is that the interns end up incredibly confident in their skills. We rotate through a lot of hospitals in the Jeff system, and I really feel that the Jeff Hospital intmed interns are the most confident and comfortable in their abilities. Some of my friends said the first few months were really rough, what with getting used to the high work load and busy census, but I really saw a difference in them by the end of last year, and they were happy.

As for fellowships, yeah, they're solid, but not as outstanding as a more prestigious school. That being said, it's a matter of which of the programs in their subspecialty of choice they get into. Most all of them get into what they want. Also, Jeff itself has some good fellowships.

Let's see... what else... Program director's a very nice guy. Facilities are pretty decent. The hospital is certainly not hotel-ish like some places you see nowadays, but it's nice for a downtown hospital. They're up to speed electronically, with the exception of still having hand-written progress notes. Vitals are logged in the computer. Oh yeah, and there's generally a terminal between every couple of rooms, so it's never tough to find a computer.

Not sure how much info you wanted... Looks like you may not be able to interview. If you've got plenty of good choices already, I can't see why you'd need to rearrange to interview here. It's a great program in my mind, but there are a lot of great programs. Maybe if you're particular about the Philly area...

thanx guys for all the info..i really appreciate it. I will try to keep my interview date..sounds like a solid program.