This is what I will do if I am a PD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Butterfly23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since USMLE step one will be disappeared, I presume that the residency programs will have hard time assessing the applicants. I do not think it is fair if top residencies are filled by everybody from for example UCSF

If I am a program director, I will make tests for applicants to take and applicants will pay for those tests.
for example, anesthesia, since they need to make fast decisions during operations, why don't i make tests to see how quickly the applicants solve the physiology questions.
I am also going to charge a lot of money for applicants! just kidding!
I am sure there will be woke folks out there that my way of thinking creates the inequality for financially challenged students. That is another discussion!

DO you see that happening in the future?
I will definely do this if i am a program director to fund the programs better.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Since USMLE step one will be disappeared, I presume that the residency programs will have hard time assessing the applicants. I do not think it is fair if top residencies are filled by everybody from for example UCSF

If I am a program director, I will make tests for applicants to take and applicants will pay for those tests.
for example, anesthesia, since they need to make fast decisions during operations, why don't i make tests to see how quickly the applicants solve the physiology questions.
I am sure there will be woke folks out there that my way of thinking creates the inequality for financially challenged students. That is another discussion!

I can 100% assure you no one will apply to your program, ain’t no one taking a test just for one program…. Now if it was implemented for all programs for a specialty I can see it, I think that could potentially happen one day..

Members don't see this ad :)

Maybe on the Planet Zool, but here on Earth, PDs will simply use Step 2 as their screening tool.

And Step I will not disappear, it's simply going P/F.

Reactions: 8 users
I wouldn’t even apply to a program that required a secondary essay. I ranked a program lower just because I thought them having an MMI interview day was dumb.

You wanna make me take a test? Enjoy the SOAP!

Reactions: 10 users

Uhh no. And your DIO won't let you do that either. You can't create a process to explicitly profit from the match process and expect to not get blowback from ERAS/NRMP. Your institution would have a lot of explaining to do and since most DIOs don't like having to deal with a lot of unnecessary paperwork which could ultimately lead to your entire facility being barred from the match process, I doubt they'd let you go ahead with it.

But hey... if your facility operates outside of the match, and is not an ACGME accredited program, then you can make your applicants go through whatever crazy hoops you want.

Whether an applicant would do the test even if it was free... well... any answer to that would be purely speculation.

Reactions: 4 users
Id further add. Please dont become a PD. The mere thought of someone wanting more BS hoops to jump through makes me physically nauseated. Not the type we need in leadership positions.

Reactions: 14 users
If the goal is to just make money via the application process, much easier to just add a secondary with a fee. That way, no test to write. I am somewhat surprised this hasn't happened.

More realistically, what MIGHT happen with S1 becoming P/F, especially if NBME were to start the process of making S2 P/F, is specialty societies creating exams that students take for a score. Could actually use the ITE exam all specialties already have for no added cost (to them).

Reactions: 2 users
If the goal is to just make money via the application process, much easier to just add a secondary with a fee. That way, no test to write. I am somewhat surprised this hasn't happened.

More realistically, what MIGHT happen with S1 becoming P/F, especially if NBME were to start the process of making S2 P/F, is specialty societies creating exams that students take for a score. Could actually use the ITE exam all specialties already have for no added cost (to them).
How is that different from shelf exams

i am not a part of academia chill out folks. I am just throwing ideas! How are you going to evaluate applicants that fit to each unique specialty thinking processes.? I will never go into Genetics (for example) not good at explaining unknowns to parents etc
How are you going to evaluate applicants??
I have friends who always kick ass in every shelf and usmle step one score 250 and got into university anesthesia and switched to pm&r because he could not think fast during difficult operation now he is in slow paced pmr and he is good at it because he has time to spend on every single details

i am not a part of academia chill out folks. I am just throwing ideas! How are you going to evaluate applicants that fit to each unique specialty thinking processes.? I will never go into Genetics (for example) not good at explaining unknowns to parents etc
How are you going to evaluate applicants??
I have friends who always kick ass in every shelf and usmle step one score 250 and got into university anesthesia and switched to pm&r because he could not think fast during difficult operation now he is in slow paced pmr and he is good at it because he has time to spend on every single details
Ask questions in interview that makes applicants think on their feet fast. @Goro has plenty of ideas

• Haha
Several IM programs last year utilized personality tests or CASPER last year. I remember one had a secondary app to consider your app complete. No fee but it was like 10 questions asking "why our program" "tell me about yourself", nonsense generic questions like that.

Personally, I immediately removed these program from my app list and didn't look back.

I'm hoping these programs only used these things because interviews were virtual and they couldn't get a good feel for applicants. But i'm sure virtual interview season will become a thing for several programs in the future.

I don't think there will be an ITE for applicants but i'm sure the CASPER will become a requirement for residency applicants too.

Several IM programs last year utilized personality tests or CASPER last year. I remember one had a secondary app to consider your app complete. No fee but it was like 10 questions asking "why our program" "tell me about yourself", nonsense generic questions like that.

Personally, I immediately removed these program from my app list and didn't look back.

I'm hoping these programs only used these things because interviews were virtual and they couldn't get a good feel for applicants. But i'm sure virtual interview season will become a thing for several programs in the future.

I don't think there will be an ITE for applicants but i'm sure the CASPER will become a requirement for residency applicants too.
Why are residency programs behaving like med school admissions?

If I have to do CASPer again for residency apps I'm going to die inside because that "exam" was the most BS thing about applying to med school for me personally (aside from the insane costs)

Really?There are several derm attendings I know who did not get paid during the residency and finished osteopathic OGME Derm residency. his process of becoming a dermatologist was paid off.
What makes you think that our Osteopathic society was ever moral and followed the standards
who makes surgery residencies with total hospital beds # below 120? OGME has made them. I am sorry but I am not sending my patients to that recent grad with that trainings.

if these prestigious hospitals require me to pay those tests to evaluate me who is coming from unknown Osteopathic medical school, I will take it!

Legality and DIOs are totally different discussions.

funding the residency programs or institutions from applicants was joke! but people here think that they are so morally competent to avoid BS hoops are bs-ers to begin with.

I may sound tangential but look at the job markets in metropolitan/bay area california/socal
Look at the job listings from Kaiser

Do you want DOs with subspecialization to end up in middle of nowhere because DOs cannot get residencies with big names and do you want DOs not to represent and not to be leveled with MDs in the urban area?
Yeah yeah, you need to net work etc blah blah to get jobs that is another discussion.

I am a DO and I did subspecialty that no one wants to do(not revealing what I do) and other specialty folks i deal with has insane prestigious back grounds. I am staying where I am because i did fellowship that no one was interested in. I am sorry I do not see DOs !

I strongly think that there needs to be some sorts of testings to find the best fits for residency programs/specialties
If I have to sxxt on my pants during residency interviews with testing quesitons, so be it.

I am not part of this new generation with P/F USMLE step one. BUt I strongly feel sorry for young folks or upcoming future grads.

Id further add. Please dont become a PD. The mere thought of someone wanting more BS hoops to jump through makes me physically nauseated. Not the type we need in leadership positions.

Reactions: 1 users
Really?There are several derm attendings I know who did not get paid during the residency and finished osteopathic OGME Derm residency. his process of becoming a dermatologist was paid off.
What makes you think that our Osteopathic society was ever moral and followed the standards
who makes surgery residencies with total hospital beds # below 120? OGME has made them. I am sorry but I am not sending my patients to that recent grad with that trainings.

if these prestigious hospitals require me to pay those tests to evaluate me who is coming from unknown Osteopathic medical school, I will take it!

funding the residency programs or institutions from applicants was joke! but people here think that they are so morally competent to avoid BS hoops are bs-ers to begin with.

I may sound tangential but look at the job markets in metropolitan/bay area california/socal

Do you want DOs with subspecialization to end up in middle of nowhere because DOs cannot get residencies with big names and do you want DOs not to represent and not to be leveled with MDs in the urban area?
Yeah yeah, you need to net work etc blah blah to get jobs that is another discussion.

I am a DO and I did subspecialty that no one wants to do(not revealing what I do) and other specialty folks i deal with has insane prestigious back grounds. I am staying where I am because i did fellowship that no one was interested in. I am sorry I do not see DOs !

I strongly think that there needs to be some sorts of testings to find the best fits for residency programs/specialties
If I have to sxxt on my pants during residency interviews with testing quesitons, so be it.

I am not part of this new generation with P/F USMLE step one. BUt I strongly feel sorry for young folks or upcoming future grads.

If you would gladly take an extra test, you are part of the problem.

Reactions: 3 users
Nope, nope, nope. If you're unable to evaluate applicants based on the information already given and an interview........then you're not meant to be a PD in the first place. Tests don't always determine the best applicants.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

I think it will happen eventually when the steps all go pass/fail. However, the shelf exam already does that for you in many specialties, so it would like only apply to outliers like anesthesia.

Funny you mention ITE, I have one tomorrow. Probably shouldn't be goofing here, but hey, I did the same thing the night before the comlexs.

I see what you did at the end. Just confess you did nephro and theres no good jobs where you want to go. And now you want your revenge with the new specialty exam.