This is sure to remind you of 'our India' !!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DrGarfield said:
Who is the third richest man on the world?
According to the latest report on Fortune Magazine, He is Premji who is the CEO of Wipro Industries. The Sultan of Brunei is at 6th position now.

That's totally incorrect. Azim Premji is nowhere near the third richest man in the world.

But the third richest man in the world is indeed an Indian. It's Laxmi Mittal, but he lives in England.

Members don't see this ad.

sunny123 said:
That's why I love math so much, because it's in my blood!!!

BUT, I don't understand this, can anyone explain?

"According to the Forbes magazine, Sanskrit is the most suitable language for computer software."

For Natural Language Processing, the lexical grammar of Sanskrit is so structured and predictable, that it lends itself very well to be understood by a computer. I've heard this so many times, but I dont speak Sanskrit, so I can't attest for it. (and yes, I do work a little bit with NLP).

Pakorah said:
I don't know man the problem at schools is that there is a big problem between Northies and Southies. I'm sure you must be familiar with this. It goes back to the whole Ramayana, calling southies monkies because they were dark and hairy? I don't get that. I don't believe there was monkies but just dark south indian. And Krishna can't be blue....my belief don't go all psycho on me. He was dark (ps prolly a southie..hahahaha)

I am South Indian, and have several North Indian friends, and I've never heard such a story. Read Ramayana again, instead of posting this BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
hopeful05 said:
sunny got into an argument.....wha???? :eek:

:laugh:

That pakorah has a wierd take on things

He/she is pathetic at trolling.

DrGarfield said:
36% of NASA scientists are INDIANs.
34% of Microsoft employees are INDIANs.

Well these figures are totally baseless!!!!! I remember reading an article in Sunday times of India about this myth. The article said that these kind of statistics spread through email forwards are totally baseless. These email have become so popular that some of the things in it inadvertantly found mention in speech of indian foreign secretary. Though there are substantial number of indian working for these organizations the real figures are nowhere near the figures claimed. so i advice u read such forwards with a pinch of salt :)

sunny123 said:
That's why I love math so much, because it's in my blood!!!

Well i dont know how much of maths is in blood of an average Indian. U must know largest number of student who fail in HSC or ssc exams in india fail in mathematics.
I believe in law of averages. Every community has some talented people. One should not make generalisations simply because of handful of examples. Afterall how many Indians have won Fields Medal- mathematics equivalent of nobel prize. The answer is none. How many famous modern Indian mathematicians or statisticians u have heard of? Our count will stop at Ramanujan,a few people would enumerate CR Rao or Mahalanobis thats all.....
I feel it is kind of racial profiling to lable a particular community to be particularly good at maths.

allergic2morons said:
Well these figures are totally baseless!!!!! I remember reading an article in Sunday times of India about this myth. The article said that these kind of statistics spread through email forwards are totally baseless. These email have become so popular that some of the things in it inadvertantly found mention in speech of indian foreign secretary. Though there are substantial number of indian working for these organizations the real figures are nowhere near the figures claimed. so i advice u read such forwards with a pinch of salt :)

Agreed

TheWingThing said:
For Natural Language Processing, the lexical grammar of Sanskrit is so structured and predictable, that it lends itself very well to be understood by a computer. I've heard this so many times, but I dont speak Sanskrit, so I can't attest for it. (and yes, I do work a little bit with NLP).
Just out of curiousity, I'd want to learn Sanskrit for this purpose, to actually figure out the connection between the NLP and computer programming.

allergic2morons said:
Well i dont know how much of maths is in blood of an average Indian. U must know largest number of student who fail in HSC or ssc exams in india fail in mathematics.
I believe in law of averages. Every community has some talented people. One should not make generalisations simply because of handful of examples. Afterall how many Indians have won Fields Medal- mathematics equivalent of nobel prize. The answer is none. How many famous modern Indian mathematicians or statisticians u have heard of? Our count will stop at Ramanujan,a few people would enumerate CR Rao or Mahalanobis thats all.....
I feel it is kind of racial profiling to lable a particular community to be particularly good at maths.
:laugh: racial profiling! Sure, the fields medal count is low, and I see how low the brown population is within the mathematics department (at least at my university); BUT, most of the brown students do excel at Math, at the elementary and secondary levels (I think that is what that quote was referring to). My choice would have been to go on with the mathematics stream at university, but I chose bio, thinking that I needed to do it for med... ahhh well... I know what I'll do in my next life.

hi all, I´m back after a break and so many people to reply!

TO Pakorah

India did go help Srilanks because othervise they would lean on China- which was very much interested in getting a foothold on Indian Ocean waters- so that was a strategically right move.

LTTE didn´t kick out indian army from Srilanka- Only Prabhakaran could claim this stupid thing. India withdrew because the Srilankan Govt itself was going lax on the war front with LTTE and was rather preparing to have Talks with them. So you cannot fight for someone anymore when the party involved is not that much inclined to fight itself! So that was a strategically fight move again. India has identified LTTE as a banned terrorist outfit, as have man yother countries, including USA. Still it´s Srilanka itself that doesn´t ban it and accepts it as a political force. This is their own dirty local politics- to keep Tamils happy.

Krishna was Dark. and a lot of north indians are dark too- though there are more dark people in south india. They paint krishna Blue in the paintings just for convenience- because a person painted Black would look ridiculous. It is widely recognised that both Krishna and Ram were dark in complexion in the Ramayana and MAhabharata. Actually the name Krishna itself literally Means BLACK. And still it is widely known that Krishna was born in Mathura- which lies n Northern part of India.

There can be fair people in south as well- example is Aishwarya Rai! :love:

wing thing said:
That's totally incorrect. Azim Premji is nowhere near the third richest man in the world.

you are right. The list i posted here was around 3 years old. And Azim Premji was rather correct at that time, but now it´s Mittal. and we´ve got nothing against NRIs while boasting!! ;)

About Sanskrit- well i just took it and pasted- i don´t know a word about computer software programming so i can´t tell anything with authority about it!

Ya- sure all these figures are to be taken as with a pinch of salt- but isn´t that what we always do when we just wanna get proud of something?

allergic said:

And i don´t think there is anything Racial about feeling good about your own countrymen!

sunnyjohn said:
Cool post :thumbup:

May I use it for my students?
now teachers teaching patriotism !! forget abt the world peace ! :eek:

allergic2morons said:
completely agree with u , :thumbup: if no one is born idiocity dosn`t run in families , how can one say the geniusness ( is it correct word ? ) ? hope ppl stop generlising others & practice what they preach....
BTW did i make anysense ..! :confused: lost in translation!

yes,itz mittal,not premji!i'm afraid..... the wing is right!
TheWingThing said:

But the third richest man in the world is indeed an Indian. It's Laxmi Mittal, but he lives in England.