this is a materialistic world

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took this mcat prep course 2x several years ago (i won't name which one) and developed a great relationship with the owner. I'm planning to take the aug mcat so i wanted to repeat the course for the third time at a reduced cost. Mr. xxx is asking for full tuition $1300 despite the fact that I have taken the course 2 times already. i was just on the phone with him, trying to explain the situation....but when i said..."well...right now, i don't think i can afford $1300" he frucking hung up on me. what the fruck

Members don't see this ad.

you would have much better luck preparing on your own rather than wasting your time in class for a third time.. practice, not class, makes perfect.. =)

If anything, take a different prep course so you can get more practice tests and variety of strategy.

U4iA said:
you would have much better luck preparing on your own rather than wasting your time in class for a third time.. practice, not class, makes perfect.. =)

yeah...i do prefer to study by myself without taking a prep course...but i'm afraid that i have no one to ask when i have questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you can take Kaplan for 400 bucks. You get access to all the materials but NO classes/instruction.

Are you really as naive as your post indicates? I hope not. You may have a nice personality, but frankly, that doesn't mean **** in the business world. Don't think some owner is gonna let you squeak by for 1300 bucks b/c of your sparkling personality.

:rolleyes:

Good luck.

sdnstud said:
yeah...i do prefer to study by myself without taking a prep course...but i'm afraid that i have no one to ask when i have questions.

if you're still a student, you can always approach your instructors.. the mcat covers very basic (in a relative sense) material. if you're not currently attending, my university had special sessions for the various pre-med courses where you could talk retired profs (you did not have to be a student).. or, this sounds a little crazy, you could always try getting the office hours of instructors for the MCAT course and pay them a visit.. a lot of times they dont know (or care) who they are tutoring...

i would highly suggest doing problems individually, and finding help as you need it.. paying for a class is not only a waste of money but a waste of time (since you have taken the class twice before)..

sdnstud said:
i took this mcat prep course 2x several years ago (i won't name which one) and developed a great relationship with the owner. I'm planning to take the aug mcat so i wanted to repeat the course for the third time at a reduced cost. Mr. xxx is asking for full tuition $1300 despite the fact that I have taken the course 2 times already. i was just on the phone with him, trying to explain the situation....but when i said..."well...right now, i don't think i can afford $1300" he frucking hung up on me. what the fruck

I would think that if the course hasn't really made you satisfied with your score after taking it twice, a different approach to studying might be in order.

The course obviously wasn't suited for you. While I empathize with the way you were treated, shake it off, and consider what methods work best for you. Think about the classes in which you have excelled. Were they lecture-based? There are audio review tapes available. Do you do better with lots of repetitive homework? Get lots of practice material. Only you know what works best for you. Good luck in your studies and on your test :thumbup:

sdnstud said:

Let me guess it was TPR, yah! I was in the same situation and just wanted to take the diags, they wanted to charge me like $50 a test or something.

I would suggest that you try the ExamKrackers books. They have great practice questions. They have a free online discussion forum that is staffed by science PhDs. They're prompt in answering questions, in my experience.

Check it out: http://www.examkrackers.com/

Their books are not perfect -- some of the lectures could be better worded / but nothing you can't fix by consulting a textbook on the side. I think these books offer the most bang for the buck. Be sure to take all AMCAS tests available #3 through #7. That's a must to get yourself ready.

The Kaplan Comprehensive book also looked pretty good, but it probably has too much material that's unnecessary for the test. ExamKrackers is good on concentrating on the essentials.

Good luck!