Third Time Reapplicant List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

resilience9

Reaction score
Hello, this cycle I will be a third time re-applicant needing advice on my school list (adding and/or removing please!) A lot of my issues with making a list is how to take into consideration my completed SMP gpa with the wavering MCAT scores.

First time, no II. Second time, 1 II --> WL.

Asian California resident
MCAT 509 (2017) --> 505 (2020) --> 520 (2020) (the last two were a month apart bc I knew I didn't feel good about the first one and it showed, not sure how much of a red flag this might cause)
undergrad cgpa: 3.36 sgpa: 3.28
SMP gpa: 4.0

lots of community service, over 1500 clinical hours, a bit of research (~2 years)

Here is what I have right now:
UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Riverside, UCSD, UCSF, Kaiser, USC, BU, Indiana University, Colorado, Cincinnati, Wright State, Eastern Virginia, Vermont, Rush, NYMC, St. Louis University, Albany, Loyola Stritch, Hofstra, Drexel, Tulane, Frank Netter, Einstein, Wake Forest, Penn State, U of Pittsburgh, Rochester, Emory, Brown, Columbia, Rosalind, Oakland Beaumont, UMass

DO: LECOM, NYITCOM, PCOM, Tuoro NY and CA, Western

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Outstanding GPA from the SMP and amazing MCAT score. Were your 1.5k clinical hours under one job/volunteer position? If so what was this position. If not, then can you please provide the different positions you had?

Have you had leadership roles?

Your list looks solid but did you apply to DO last cycle?

Outstanding GPA from the SMP and amazing MCAT score. Were your 1.5k clinical hours under one job/volunteer position? If so what was this position. If not, then can you please provide the different positions you had?

Have you had leadership roles?

Your list looks solid but did you apply to DO last cycle?
Thank you!!
My clinical hours are mainly from a medical assistant/CRC position. I also did some shadowing of various specialties.

Yes, multiple leadership roles in clubs and volunteer activities.

This would be my first time applying to DOs. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience shadowing a DO, but I have some from shadowing MDs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
CCOM
CUSOM
MU-COM
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
PCOM
For MD schools I suggest these:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
BU
Hofstra
Einstein
Albany
New York Medical College
Rochester
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Miami
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Kaiser
USC Keck
the UCs

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you!!
My clinical hours are mainly from a medical assistant/CRC position. I also did some shadowing of various specialties.

Yes, multiple leadership roles in clubs and volunteer activities.

This would be my first time applying to DOs. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience shadowing a DO, but I have some from shadowing MDs.
Then from a "Paper" standpoint you are solid. The school list that @Faha suggested is great so I would advise you to look into those schools. I do not know if you would be discouraged from attending a non-ivy league style school based off your stats but I would urge you to take an acceptance at one of those schools. At the end of the day your board scores will speak volumes over the institution you attended, especially if you are not considering attending a very very very competitive residency or even want to pursue a particular competitive location for that "Said" residency.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
CCOM
CUSOM
MU-COM
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
PCOM
For MD schools I suggest these:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
BU
Hofstra
Einstein
Albany
New York Medical College
Rochester
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Miami
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Kaiser
USC Keck
the UCs
Then from a "Paper" standpoint you are solid. The school list that @Faha suggested is great so I would advise you to look into those schools. I do not know if you would be discouraged from attending a non-ivy league style school based off your stats but I would urge you to take an acceptance at one of those schools. At the end of the day your board scores will speak volumes over the institution you attended, especially if you are not considering attending a very very very competitive residency or even want to pursue a particular competitive location for that "Said" residency.
Thank you so much for both of your help!!!

Hello, this cycle I will be a third time re-applicant needing advice on my school list (adding and/or removing please!) A lot of my issues with making a list is how to take into consideration my completed SMP gpa with the wavering MCAT scores.

First time, no II. Second time, 1 II --> WL.

Asian California resident
MCAT 509 (2017) --> 505 (2020) --> 520 (2020) (the last two were a month apart bc I knew I didn't feel good about the first one and it showed, not sure how much of a red flag this might cause)
undergrad cgpa: 3.36 sgpa: 3.28
SMP gpa: 4.0

lots of community service, over 1500 clinical hours, a bit of research (~2 years)

Here is what I have right now:
UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Riverside, UCSD, UCSF, Kaiser, USC, BU, Indiana University, Colorado, Cincinnati, Wright State, Eastern Virginia, Vermont, Rush, NYMC, St. Louis University, Albany, Loyola Stritch, Hofstra, Drexel, Tulane, Frank Netter, Einstein, Wake Forest, Penn State, U of Pittsburgh, Rochester, Emory, Brown, Columbia, Rosalind, Oakland Beaumont, UMass

DO: LECOM, NYITCOM, PCOM, Tuoro NY and CA, Western

Thank you in advance!
Apply very broadly. You have redeemed yourself but there are enough candidates with these stats the first time. Glad you’re also considering DO schools this time. The MCAT is good, but it’s a 3rd attempt and you’ve done it twice before. Most places average them. You will get in somewhere I think.

Reactions: 1 user