Thinking of applying to St. George's and Ross, what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubsfan95

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I'm going to apply to SGU and Ross for August instead of waiting. I have heard from a lot of people that the match rate is getting better now for the foreign schools. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to apply to SGU and Ross for August instead of waiting. I have heard from a lot of people that the match rate is getting better now for the foreign schools. Any thoughts?
Match rate increased this year due to IMGs filling the AOA spots that would normally go unfilled prior merger, with the proliferation of DO schools, the next graduating classes of DO students will take most of those AOA spots back and leave the IMGs hanging.

Members don't see this ad :)
Match rate increased this year due to IMGs filling the AOA spots that would normally go unfilled prior merger, with the proliferation of DO schools, the next graduating classes of DO students will take most of those AOA spots back and leave the IMGs hanging.

OK, I won't go now.

Reactions: 1 user
I
I was looking more into this after reading your post and found this blog from a Caribbean school discussing how this merge is actually a benefit:

Would you say that because more DO schools are opening, that cancels out the benefits mentioned on the article?

I

I was looking more into this after reading your post and found this blog from a Caribbean school discussing how this merge is actually a benefit:

Would you say that because more DO schools are opening, that cancels out the benefits mentioned on the article?

haha what a false article, the match rate for IMGs is still gonna be garage

I

I would be careful about the websites I take information from, many of them can be quite "biased".

This isn't an article, it's an advertisement. It's literally from a shady (in relation to big 3) Carib school.

That being said, match rates for this year were similar to prior years and saw a slight uptick overall I believe. Seems like primary care matches also rose while specialty matches have waned slightly for big 3. All in all the actual major change will be when Step 1 becomes P/F.

The school who's "article" you linked didn't even publish their matches this year aside from a stupid infographic table to make it seem like they had more matches than they did.

This isn't an article, it's an advertisement. It's literally from a shady (in relation to big 3) Carib school.

That being said, match rates for this year were similar to prior years and saw a slight uptick overall I believe. Seems like primary care matches also rose while specialty matches have waned slightly for big 3. All in all the actual major change will be when Step 1 becomes P/F.

The school who's "article" you linked didn't even publish their matches this year aside from a stupid infographic table to make it seem like they had more matches than they did.

I will admit that I didn't bother to read their infographic (not interested in their school at all and didn't check out their website besides the article). Their theory was more about the number of AOA spots available now that the merge happened.

The wrench in their calculations seems to be that more DO schools are opening and I don't think they acknowledged that. I think they assumed the number of DO is fixed, so they came up with a quantifiable number 895). Not sure how accurate that is. As you mentioned, the Step 1 becoming P/F is another concern.

This is the info I'm referring to:

The AOA match in 2017 was only 71% overall. To that end, half DO students that matched into residencies at all went to NRMP residencies (50%), not DO programs. They're already "here." Furthermore, of the 3109 residencies exclusively available to DO students, only 2,214 were even filled. Last year, there were 895 DO residencies that went unfilled. If those 895 maintain their accreditation as residencies through the new match, and they likely will, that's an additional 895 residencies that are now open to MD students that were previously unavailable and went unfilled.

For context, the current General Medical Education bill (GME) funds the addition of 3,000 new residency slots each year across the US between 2015 and 2019 as a means of alleviating the physician shortage. The 895 unfilled spots alone are effectively a 29% bonus for MDs on top of that 2019 funding boost at no additional cost to taxpayers or hospitals.

Not sure where they are getting those numbers from. Most likely, from match tables. If so, 895 spots not filled after the match is very different from not filled at all -- most of those spots probably filled post match.

They are also (mostly) wrong about "no additional cost to taxpayers". If the spots were truly unfilled, then the hospital can't bill Medicare for them at all. If they do get filled, then they can be billed - so there is a cost to filling unfilled slots. (It's much more complicated than this, depends on institutional caps, etc).

I will admit that I didn't bother to read their infographic (not interested in their school at all and didn't check out their website besides the article). Their theory was more about the number of AOA spots available now that the merge happened.

The wrench in their calculations seems to be that more DO schools are opening and I don't think they acknowledged that. I think they assumed the number of DO is fixed, so they came up with a quantifiable number 895). Not sure how accurate that is. As you mentioned, the Step 1 becoming P/F is another concern.

This is the info I'm referring to:

The AOA match in 2017 was only 71% overall. To that end, half DO students that matched into residencies at all went to NRMP residencies (50%), not DO programs. They're already "here." Furthermore, of the 3109 residencies exclusively available to DO students, only 2,214 were even filled. Last year, there were 895 DO residencies that went unfilled. If those 895 maintain their accreditation as residencies through the new match, and they likely will, that's an additional 895 residencies that are now open to MD students that were previously unavailable and went unfilled.

For context, the current General Medical Education bill (GME) funds the addition of 3,000 new residency slots each year across the US between 2015 and 2019 as a means of alleviating the physician shortage. The 895 unfilled spots alone are effectively a 29% bonus for MDs on top of that 2019 funding boost at no additional cost to taxpayers or hospitals.
While this may be true, speaking of the bolded part, those 895 spots in DO residencies run by mostly DO PD’s have to in no way shape or form fill their programs and can continue to keep them unfilled and not rank IMG’s if they want, the bottom line is as an IMG you have a significant uphill battle to match anything anywhere as compared to a US MD or DO.