Things to do in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDoVerryLittle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to be a clinician first. However, I wouldn't mind being a medical director, or leader in my hospital in the future. In fact, some of the best healthcare systems are run by practicing doctors who cover everything from the finance to the hr.

That being said, I want to get into extracurriculars that can prepare me and make me look qualified for these positions inthe future.

So far I can think of
Being active in the ama
Being entrepreneurial
Taking leadership roles at the student clinics.

Any other ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Being entrepreneurial on the side with inventions and stuff

Any other ideas?

I don't know why michaelrack is being such a naysayer above. There's no penalty for keeping an eye out for potential items that can fill a void. Think of all the crap on infomercials people are getting rich off of. Not saying it is easy, but don't lose the spirit either!

Survivor DO

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to be a clinician first.

I would tell you to work hard so that you can match into a good residency. Sure, if you want to try and get your MBA or something while in medschool, more power to you. You'll have lots of time after medschool (and even after residency) to get into the leadership opportunities. I don't think my "involvement" in anything during medschool even came up in my interviews coming out of residency. This advice is in no way intended to put you off, but rather to point out that medical school is the time to build your base for being a clinician. Once you are the clinician, you can work into leadership opportunities. It will be more important WHERE you work after residency (some medical groups have lots of opportunity to "work your way up" via clinic director, being on governing / advising boards, etc).

I don't know why michaelrack is being such a naysayer above. There's no penalty for keeping an eye out for potential items that can fill a void. Think of all the crap on infomercials people are getting rich off of. Not saying it is easy, but don't lose the spirit either!

Survivor DO

Unless the OP has some coding knowledge and plans on developing an app; I don't see how he could be an entrepeneur and/or inventor while in med school

I want to be a clinician first. However, I wouldn't mind being a medical director, or leader in my hospital in the future. In fact, some of the best healthcare systems are run by practicing doctors who cover everything from the finance to the hr.

That being said, I want to get into extracurriculars that can prepare me and make me look qualified for these positions inthe future.
?

As far as making you "look qualified" nothing you do now will matter. Being a chief resident in residency may be slightly helpful. As far as actually preparing you, you will likely gain plenty of leadership experience in the upper years of residency, and being a chief might be slightly helpful.

Some basic business knowledge would be helpful in preparing you- being able to read a financial statement, etc. Reading a few "MBA for dummies" or "basics of financial statements" books in your spare time will help to prepare you.

As others have stated, a solid clinical preparation is critical for your career.

First off, when I said entrepreneurial I did not mean I would go out and build a hospital.

Here is a closer example to what I was thinking
http://tech.co/northwestern-students-invent-safesnips-to-prevent-surgical-accidents-2012-07

Second, are you sure nothing I do will matter?

Each year the AMA is one medical student on their board of trustees. I feel like the board of trustees of the AMA is pretty hot stuff.

I want to find positive extracurriculars to break the monotony of my medical education.

Last edited:
Each year the AMA is one medical student on their board of trustees. I feel like the board of trustees of the AMA is pretty hot ****.

If you are able to be that one student, it would help (more through the connections you make and what you learn in the position, rather than having it on your CV).

It's not that difficult to get into medical adminstration- worry more about your knowledge base (both clinical and management) than lines on your cv.