Things/people that bother/annoy me in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hdtv, have you ever considered that maybe those girls are asking you out as a joke? That's the only explanation I can think of, if you're being so obviously unfriendly. Maybe they just want to see how much they can piss you off.

you can't blame that on him if he's gone through the rough times in his past with bad people in his life. he talked about how other people with bad intentions tried to scam him or rip him off or practically steal from him. so of course he's not gonna be able to trust many people.

those girls may not realize what he has been through and think that he should react normally like everyone else does, and since he doesn't give responses, they might try until they get bored and move on.

Members don't see this ad.

Bye bye Jauron. Maybe we can salvage the season.

Ha, that's funny. Oh, wait, were you serious?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::lol::lol::lol::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, no. That franchise has so many more problems in their front office apart from Jauron. Getting rid of him was a good first step, but that franchise is absolutely in shambles. Ralph Wilson is so out to lunch that the Bills are really only one step above the Raiders. The franchise has absolutely no identity, no direction, and no hope of being good anytime soon.

I really hope that when Trent Edwards' contract is up, he gets signed by some other team and becomes a star. I'll shove it so hard in the face of every Bills fan who wanted to pin all the team's woes on him.

Was about to doze off in Therapeutics class when this happened.

Me - Dozing off
Professor - Talking about Biguanides and toxicity.
Classmate - Forgot to turn off speaker and by accident scrolls over one of those annoying ads.
Classmate's Laptop - *Really loud* "Congratulations, You Won!"
Professor - Nice.
Me - Wakes up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha, that's funny. Oh, wait, were you serious?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::lol::lol::lol::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, no. That franchise has so many more problems in their front office apart from Jauron. Getting rid of him was a good first step, but that franchise is absolutely in shambles. Ralph Wilson is so out to lunch that the Bills are really only one step above the Raiders. The franchise has absolutely no identity, no direction, and no hope of being good anytime soon.

I really hope that when Trent Edwards' contract is up, he gets signed by some other team and becomes a star. I'll shove it so hard in the face of every Bills fan who wanted to pin all the team's woes on him.

Every fantasy league I'm in has Terrell Owens as a free agent... what a waste for anyone who used a 2nd round-3rd round draft pick on him. And everyone was bashing me earlier because they thought Randy Moss was done, he's the best WR in the NFL again. Although what sucks for me is that both Ronnie Brown and Michael Turner got injured.

People who spend a lot of time on group projects and check to make sure that every single damn thing complies with the guidelines for the project and people who like to do group rehearsals for the group project presention. Jesus guys, I don't care if I get a 90 or 100 on this project.

People who spend a lot of time on group projects and check to make sure that every single damn thing complies with the guidelines for the project and people who like to do group rehearsals for the group project presention. Jesus guys, I don't care if I get a 90 or 100 on this project.

:thumbup:

An A is an A no matter how high or low it is.

:thumbup:

An A is an A no matter how high or low it is.

LOL...It does matter if your school has the +/- system. In undergrad a 94+ is an A and a 93 to 90 is a A-. And A- suck! :(

LOL...It does matter if your school has the +/- system. In undergrad a 94+ is an A and a 93 to 90 is a A-. And A- suck! :(

we don't have that here either. but we have some classes where you are required to get 70% to pass and below 70% is failing.

We don't have the +/- system here
Luckily we have the + here in pharmacy school, but no -! LOL...so a 87-89 is a B+ and not just a regular B. :)

However, in undergrad we did have the +/- system which makes it very competitive. If you want a 4.0 you have to get 94+ and not just a 90. :rolleyes:

Not if it's from a community college.

Community college i went to was harder than p1 of pharm school. I'm not kidding!! I had to write 50 pages for one liberal arts class, and biochem was much more in depth than p1 biochem

Members don't see this ad :)
Community college i went to was harder than p1 of pharm school. I'm not kidding!! I had to write 50 pages for one liberal arts class, and biochem was much more in depth than p1 biochem

Which pharmacy school do you attend? Must be something wrong with the school. :smuggrin: I have only taken two classes at a community college Public Speaking and Western Civilization and they were BOTH too easy. I can't imagine pharmacy school being easier then that. LOL....

Which pharmacy school do you attend? Must be something wrong with the school. :smuggrin: I have only taken two classes at a community college Public Speaking and Western Civilization and they were BOTH too easy. I can't imagine pharmacy school being easier then that. LOL....

major state school in the west. however, the school i attend has indeed been classified as "easy" by other members on this board

major state school in the west. however, the school i attend has indeed been classified as "easy" by other members on this board

1) is it a new pharmacy school?
2) is it accredited?
3) is it ranked at all?
4) is the percentage of people passing the boards above 95%?
5) is the average score above a 95%?

If its a ranked school, with good board scores, thats accredited and its been around for 100+ years then it should be a great school. Did you attend a community college in California? I heard their CC is much harder maybe that is why...:confused:

1) is it a new pharmacy school?
2) is it accredited?
3) is it ranked at all?
4) is the percentage of people passing the boards above 95%?
5) is the average score above a 95%?

If its a ranked school, with good board scores, thats accredited and its been around for 100+ years then it should be a great school. Did you attend a community college in California? I heard their CC is much harder maybe that is why...:confused:

yes, it's been around for many decades, ranked, accredited, etc. no. cc was in wisconsin

yes, it's been around for many decades, ranked, accredited, etc. no. cc was in wisconsin

:confused::confused::confused:

Does everyone in the class feel the same way or does everyone in the class feel challenged? I mean if most people in your class are making C, D and F...then it just means that you are smart! :D But if everyone thinks its easy and everyone is making an A effortlessly then the ONLY other thing I can think of is that the school just has an unusually light P1 load, but that is bad news for you next year b/c schools with unusually light P1 load usually have super hard P2 and P3 loads...:eek:

Anyhow you should PM Bob Wells....since he is looking for a super easy pharmacy school! :laugh:

:confused::confused::confused:

Does everyone in the class feel the same way or does everyone in the class feel challenged? I mean if most people in your class are making C, D and F...then it just means that you are smart! :D But if everyone thinks its easy and everyone is making an A effortlessly then the ONLY other thing I can think of is that the school just has an unusually light P1 load, but that is bad news for you next year b/c schools with unusually light P1 load usually have super hard P2 and P3 loads...:eek:

Anyhow you should PM Bob Wells....since he is looking for a super easy pharmacy school! :laugh:

nah i dont want those people coming here. It's really hard to judge how everyone else is doing without asking them their grades. There seem to be a lot of people who are really stressed out all the time .. but that may just be because they are uptight in general. But then you also do have the people who finish 2 hr exams in 15 minutes. And yes, p2 year is going to be much harder, but again you just gotta not get stressed out about it, and it will end up seeming much easier.

I think peoples' perceptions of pharmacy school rigor depends on how anal they are about getting A's. Personally I am working much harder on getting good work experience and good references from my employers than i am on homework. No way i'm doing a residency

nah i dont want those people coming here. It's really hard to judge how everyone else is doing without asking them their grades. There seem to be a lot of people who are really stressed out all the time .. but that may just be because they are uptight in general. But then you also do have the people who finish 2 hr exams in 15 minutes. And yes, p2 year is going to be much harder, but again you just gotta not get stressed out about it, and it will end up seeming much easier.

I think peoples' perceptions of pharmacy school rigor depends on how anal they are about getting A's. Personally I am working much harder on getting good work experience and good references from my employers than i am on homework. No way i'm doing a residency

I see...in our school in some classes the professor will post how many A, B, C, D and F are in the class after an exam or after the entire course. So I know where I fall.

Yeah, I am one of those anal A student! :laugh: I can see how pharmacy school will be a lot less stressful if I was only aiming for B and C though. I don't even have an employer b/c I quit my job the moment I started pharmacy school. I am planning on getting a job during the summer and quitting when school starts during the fall every year. IPPE is like a full time job so I don't need anymore torture! :laugh:

I really don't want to do a residency either...but if the saturation gets bad enough I might be forced to do one...so I want that opportunity opened to me...JUST IN CASE I need it.

I see...in our school in some classes the professor will post how many A, B, C, D and F are in the class after an exam or after the entire course. So I know where I fall.

Yeah, I am one of those anal A student! :laugh: I can see how pharmacy school will be a lot less stressful if I was only aiming for B and C though. I don't even have an employer b/c I quit my job the moment I started pharmacy school. I am planning on getting a job during the summer and quitting when school starts during the fall every year. IPPE is like a full time job so I don't need anymore torture! :laugh:

I really don't want to do a residency either...but if the saturation gets bad enough I might be forced to do one...so I want that opportunity opened to me...JUST IN CASE I need it.

Good idea! Yeah you'll probably need one or the other (lots of experience or a residency) to return to Southern California, if that's what you're planning.

Good idea! Yeah you'll probably need one or the other (lots of experience or a residency) to return to Southern California, if that's what you're planning.

San Franciso or NYC would be the ideal place to live, but I will live anywhere with mail order pharmacy or compounding pharmacy and hot weather. :laugh: Beggers can't be choosers. :rolleyes:

Miami Dade College is the best junior college in US according to various yearly rankings done by different online sources and resource periodicals. Even still, the classes I took there over the summer were not as difficult as the classes I took as an undergrad at a university. I don't think it is anything against the schools themselves, but I think it has more to do with the other students you are essentially "competing" with in courses that use a curve. My undergrad had a significant portion of pre-meds trying to get into the school's medical program, so when you are taking your pre-reqs with a bunch of gunners who need A's to get into a good medical school then you BETTER keep up. If you are at a CC, then chances are not many students are pre-med so it is simply easier to make the curve.

My university also had the +/- system which always made me kind of mad... lol I hated getting like half A's and half A-'s because then your GPA still wasn't a 4.0.

The MBA program I'm in now only accept A's and B's as passing grades. You can't make a C or you fail that class. lol

The MBA program I'm in now only accept A's and B's as passing grades. You can't make a C or you fail that class. lol

do they make the classes any easier in that case or do you still pretty much work your ____ off to get a B?

I don't really have anything to compare it to because I'm just finishing up my first quarter, but it is really not hard at all... It is just VERY different coming from a strictly science background. There are a lot of weekly assignments and writing papers and group work involved. Also, one of the classes I'm taking (Business Enterprise Systems and Information Technology) is really hard for me because computer science bores me to tears, but other than that I love the other subjects. I just have to call my dad a lot to explain things to me because he's a programmer.
do they make the classes any easier in that case or do you still pretty much work your ____ off to get a B?

Is this really an effective way at learning drugs? Serious question.

Turned out to be 180 drugs (2 weeks) and again 90% to pass. And no I think its frikken ridiculous. Our school started Sep 1 and 6 ppl already dropped out. Last year apparently between 15 and 35 (depending on who you ask) ppl dropped out. They must love losing money. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:(

Turned out to be 180 drugs (2 weeks) and again 90% to pass. And no I think its frikken ridiculous. Our school started Sep 1 and 6 ppl already dropped out. Last year apparently between 15 and 35 (depending on who you ask) ppl dropped out. They must love losing money. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:(

Wow I didn't realize that many people dropped out of pharm school. Are those numbers consistent with pharmacy schools in general or do you go to a really difficult or 3 year school?

I only know of one person who dropped out (I believe they were going to be a P3 actually), but they were kind of vague about why.

I was always under the impression that people usually had the ability or determination to stick with professional programs once they went through the acceptance process.

Wow I didn't realize that many people dropped out of pharm school. Are those numbers consistent with pharmacy schools in general or do you go to a really difficult or 3 year school?

I only know of one person who dropped out (I believe they were going to be a P3 actually), but they were kind of vague about why.

I was always under the impression that people usually had the ability or determination to stick with professional programs once they went through the acceptance process.

Me too, but things do come up and some situations are beyond one's control. Having to get 90% to pass can be extremely difficult in some cases.

Statistically there's always a small percentage that leave for various reasons (academic or personal). We lost 4 students due to academics (they're now in the 2013 class, so just 1 year behind), 1 had a baby and deferred, 1 transferred to be closer to home (commute was 1.5hrs+/day), 1 transferred to another school.

I remember asking around at other schools and they have similar attrition rates.

Better to fail out 1st semester P-1 than later on? At least you won't have incurred 3-4 semesters of tuition.

Statistically there's always a small percentage that leave for various reasons (academic or personal). We lost 4 students due to academics (they're now in the 2013 class, so just 1 year behind), 1 had a baby and deferred, 1 transferred to be closer to home (commute was 1.5hrs+/day), 1 transferred to another school.

I remember asking around at other schools and they have similar attrition rates.

Better to fail out 1st semester P-1 than later on? At least you won't have incurred 3-4 semesters of tuition.

Oh okay that makes sense. I guess it's not so bad if they're able to transfer or defer. I heard that if you fail a class, some schools have a summer "make up" session, but if you fail that too or if the school doesn't offer it, then you have to complete the entire curriculum over again because each year progresses together (P1, P2, etc).

Oh okay that makes sense. I guess it's not so bad if they're able to transfer or defer. I heard that if you fail a class, some schools have a summer "make up" session, but if you fail that too or if the school doesn't offer it, then you have to complete the entire curriculum over again because each year progresses together (P1, P2, etc).

Yeah we don't have summer...technically my program goes like this:

F - (any course) automatic removal from the program
D - removal from class year, you essentially start over (you retain the credits you passed in that semester and will take electives the following semester until the next year begins, but all 4 students started from scratch I believe...might as well, tuition is a flat rate)

C - passing, but overall cumulative GPA must be 3.0. Anything below 3.0 for 3 semesters = automatic removal from program (2 are in AP, 3rd semester is your last chance to bring it into compliance).

3.0 = minimum GPA required to advance to P-4/APPE's or dismissal from program (debatable, we're not here yet...I would think someone in this situation can just repeat courses until they get back to a 3.0, but this is the policy as it stands).

Good for the school...kind of sucks because I like having that cushion of 2.0 = PharmD like the other schools in the area.

Yeah we don't have summer...technically my program goes like this:

F - (any course) automatic removal from the program
D - removal from class year, you essentially start over (you retain the credits you passed in that semester and will take electives the following semester until the next year begins, but all 4 students started from scratch I believe...might as well, tuition is a flat rate)

C - passing, but overall cumulative GPA must be 3.0. Anything below 3.0 for 3 semesters = automatic removal from program (2 are in AP, 3rd semester is your last chance to bring it into compliance).

3.0 = minimum GPA required to advance to P-4/APPE's or dismissal from program (debatable, we're not here yet...I would think someone in this situation can just repeat courses until they get back to a 3.0, but this is the policy as it stands).

Good for the school...kind of sucks because I like having that cushion of 2.0 = PharmD like the other schools in the area.

Wow that's pretty rough. Here's it's like this:

F = Must complete remediation of course to proceed.
D = You passed, Cannot get more than 2 D's in a semester.

Must maintain 2.0 GPA each semester. If you drop below 2.0, you are on probation and have a semester to get it back above 2.0.

Must maintain 2.0 GPA each semester. If you drop below 2.0, you are on probation and have a semester to get it back above 2.0.

yeah thats how it is here at my state school

Fisher doesn't even have D's. It goes from C down to F. I don't know if they have a minimum required GPA though.

Fisher doesn't even have D's. It goes from C down to F. I don't know if they have a minimum required GPA though.

At my school, only some courses are like that. Most have D's.

In my physiology class, 66.6666666666...% to below 70% is a D, and anything less than 66.666666....% is an F.

In my physiology class, 66.6666666666...% to below 70% is a D, and anything less than 66.666666....% is an F.

Classes with "D"s will disappear your third and fourth years, for the most part. (P4 at the same institution).

We have to get 70% or higher in all of our classes. At least, for P1 year anyway. I don't know about P2 and P3 classes, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

• People who nod at everything the professor says
  • People who wear the same clothes to class every single day
  • People who have something to add to everything the professor says
  • People who seem to know everything about everything and physically say "Yep, that's right" when the professor says something, loud enough for the whole class to hear

• People who seem to know everything about everything and physically say "Yep, that's right" when the professor says something, loud enough for the whole class to hear

congrats on beating vandy!

Does wearing the same hoodie everyday count?

There was a girl in my organic chemistry lecture who argued every single day with the poor professor to the point where people in our class actually screamed at her to STFU... and why would someone feel the need to verbally confirm their understanding of every topic being discussed? I'm not easily annoyed but those two things really irk me! lol

For those of you who are already in pharmacy school... does your school have a dress requirement?

I know that Nova requires all students to either wear scrubs or professional business attire to class. You can't just wear jeans and a hoodie or any type of "street clothes".

There was a girl in my organic chemistry lecture who argued every single day with the poor professor to the point where people in our class actually screamed at her to STFU... and why would someone feel the need to verbally confirm their understanding of every topic being discussed? I'm not easily annoyed but those two things really irk me! lol

For those of you who are already in pharmacy school... does your school have a dress requirement?

I know that Nova requires all students to either wear scrubs or professional business attire to class. You can't just wear jeans and a hoodie or any type of "street clothes".

We have to wear professional attire to the Pharmacy Practice Lab and we can either wear professional or scrubs to the compounding lab. I'm a messy person when it comes to compounding so I wear scrubs to that.

But for class, you can wear whatever as long as its clean and not offensive.

We have to wear professional attire to the Pharmacy Practice Lab and we can either wear professional or scrubs to the compounding lab. I'm a messy person when it comes to compounding so I wear scrubs to that.

But for class, you can wear whatever as long as its clean and not offensive.

The pharmacists at my school say "if your preceptor has to say, 'I don't want to see that' or 'Go change into something else,' then it's not professional enough." I've also heard from a P3 girl who said "if you're having doubts about whether or not your shirt or the way you dressed is professional, it's probably not."

The pharmacists at my school say "if your preceptor has to say, 'I don't want to see that' or 'Go change into something else,' then it's not professional enough." I've also heard from a P3 girl who said "if you're having doubts about whether or not your shirt or the way you dressed is professional, it's probably not."

Yeah, the only time I had a preceptor say that was when I was wearing black sneakers. Once I told him it was because of orthopedic stuff, he understood. Just gave me a lecture about how fickle the world and people are, "You can be a genius but people still care more about how you look."