Things I Learn from My Patients.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was great to have a 17 year old girl bring in her "older brother's" prescription and ask us specifically "y'all got the purple kind? He needs the purple kind."

I've mentioned it here before, but we've had guys come in asking for syringes and then storm out, screaming at the pharmacist "you're spreading AIDS!" Another guy told us he was trying to give his dogs steroids to pump him up.

Members don't see this ad.

It was great to have a 17 year old girl bring in her "older brother's" prescription and ask us specifically "y'all got the purple kind? He needs the purple kind."

I've mentioned it here before, but we've had guys come in asking for syringes and then storm out, screaming at the pharmacist "you're spreading AIDS!" Another guy told us he was trying to give his dogs steroids to pump him up.

yep....I've seen that too....hahahaha :laugh:

I had one lady come in one time who received a prescription for phenergan suppositories who came in the next day and wondered if there was an easier way to to take them. She said they were too big to swallow....hahahaha...apparently because the label didn't say to use rectally she just assumed that they were to be taken orally.....hahahaha.....when the pharmacist told her how she should be using them, the look on the ladies face was priceless.....:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I had one lady come in one time who received a prescription for phenergan suppositories who came in the next day and wondered if there was an easier way to to take them. She said they were too big to swallow....hahahaha...apparently because the label didn't say to use rectally she just assumed that they were to be taken orally.....hahahaha.....when the pharmacist told her how she should be using them, the look on the ladies face was priceless.....:laugh:

That is the pharmacist's fault for not counseling properly and not affixing the proper auxiliary labels or typing out the directions on the label. Not all patients know about stuff like that.

Isn't it required to have "rectally," "per rectum," "for rectal use only," or something along those lines on the label? I always thought the administration route was supposed to be typed in the directions as well as the dose.

My stories:

The Nurse Practitioner from the in-store clinic approached with a 20-something female who obviously barely speaks English. At that particular time, I, a male tech, was the only person in the entire building who speaks Spanish.

NP: Can you translate?
Me: Of course.
Patient: Eh ... no man ... only woman ...
Me: [Sigh] El pasillo numero 9. (Aisle 9)*

*It's where we keep the yeast infection creams. I figure she wouldn't have been so embarrassed or needed help with tampons.

I also work with a foreign RPh who apparently doesn't understand how last names work in a polite setting. So, she will address "John Smith" as "Mr. John." She's trying to be polite, but some patients get REALLY offended at being addressed that way. And yes, I've tried to gently correct her. It reminds me of that Family Guy sketch.

I usually just call people "Sir" or "Ma'am." It implies respect while saving me the embarrassment of mispronouncing someone's name.

My stories:

The Nurse Practitioner from the in-store clinic approached with a 20-something female who obviously barely speaks English. At that particular time, I, a male tech, was the only person in the entire building who speaks Spanish.

NP: Can you translate?
Me: Of course.
Patient: Eh ... no man ... only woman ...
Me: [Sigh] El pasillo numero 9. (Aisle 9)*

*It's where we keep the yeast infection creams. I figure she wouldn't have been so embarrassed or needed help with tampons.

I also work with a foreign RPh who apparently doesn't understand how last names work in a polite setting. So, she will address "John Smith" as "Mr. John." She's trying to be polite, but some patients get REALLY offended at being addressed that way. And yes, I've tried to gently correct her. It reminds me of that Family Guy sketch.

I usually just call people "Sir" or "Ma'am." It implies respect while saving me the embarrassment of mispronouncing someone's name.

In some cultures when you say someone's full name you say their last name then their first name.

Pharmacy technicians are lowly scum. You do not need to speak to them in complete sentences.

My second day behind the counter, some crotchety old hag walks up, and we have this conversation:

Me: Yes ma'am, how can I help you?
Her: Bronkaid
Me: That's B-R (pause)?
Her: (impatiently, quickly) Yes, B-R-O-N-K-A-I-D
Me: (turns to waiting bins, moving to the B section)
Her: WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU GOING?
Me: I'm going to get your prescription.
Pharmacist: (realizing what's going on) Dude, it's one of the PSE meds over there.
[I get her the Bronkaid]
Her: Goddamn foreigners.
Me: I'm American.
Her: Well, you look like a foreigner.

Pharmacy technicians are lowly scum. You do not need to speak to them in complete sentences.

My second day behind the counter, some crotchety old hag walks up, and we have this conversation:

Me: Yes ma'am, how can I help you?
Her: Bronkaid
Me: That's B-R (pause)?
Her: (impatiently, quickly) Yes, B-R-O-N-K-A-I-D
Me: (turns to waiting bins, moving to the B section)
Her: WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU GOING?
Me: I'm going to get your prescription.
Pharmacist: (realizing what's going on) Dude, it's one of the PSE meds over there.
[I get her the Bronkaid]
Her: Goddamn foreigners.
Me: I'm American.
Her: Well, you look like a foreigner.

And you look like a rude, tactless bitch? :rolleyes:

It's funny. After a year as a tech at a relatively busy store, I really don't think I've ever had someone be rude at me, personally. Strange luck?

And you look like a rude, tactless bitch? :rolleyes:

It's funny. After a year as a tech at a relatively busy store, I really don't think I've ever had someone be rude at me, personally. Strange luck?

That's cuz you have such a sweet face. Hard to get bitchy with a cutie.

haha, well I have an old man face, so most people think I'm the pharmacist. It can make things interesting, including when, without preface, they lift up a shirt and ask "what do you think this is?"

:oops:

B: "Too much information?" :laugh:
I get the same thing a lot. I guess on one hand I'm happy that people think I look that respectable/responsible... but it's always a little awkward when they start into their spiel. Do I interrupt them and look rude? Or let them prattle for a few minutes only to say "alright, if you'll step over to this window over here, &c."

Gonna take me a few years yet to earn my sleeves. Till then I'm stuck with this vest (which I think makes me look pretty dapper to be honest.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At least you have a vest. My company apparently believes that techs simply can't be trusted so lab coats went to smocks went to nothing. I feel lucky we're allowed to have pockets!
Walgreens has scrubs for their techs now!

Eh... don't matter now. Today was my last day of work at my store. Today was also my 4-year anniversary at that one store. It's almost been 5 years with Walgreens altogether. I don't know how I survived that long.

good discussion.
smileynormal.ico
Very insightful of you to point out, thanks.

I can't really remember stuff I've seen from patients.

But I'll talk about something when I was talking to a pharmacist.

I wanted to get something for my legs since it was hurting, and I wanted something that would relieve the pain quickly. So I asked the pharmacist, and she goes into detail about aspirin, ibuprofen, anti-inflammatory stuff, etc. I wasn't interested in any of that, but that's what she explained. Then she eventually pointed to the Aspercreme, which helped.

Then I kinda wondered if this is what patients think when we counsel on things that are way over their heads or if it's something that is of no interest to them.

Oh and no one in the pharmacy had any idea that I was a pharmacy student. I was just wearing regular clothes and talking like a regular patient.

I can't really remember stuff I've seen from patients.

But I'll talk about something when I was talking to a pharmacist.

I wanted to get something for my legs since it was hurting, and I wanted something that would relieve the pain quickly. So I asked the pharmacist, and she goes into detail about aspirin, ibuprofen, anti-inflammatory stuff, etc. I wasn't interested in any of that, but that's what she explained. Then she eventually pointed to the Aspercreme, which helped.

Then I kinda wondered if this is what patients think when we counsel on things that are way over their heads or if it's something that is of no interest to them.

Oh and no one in the pharmacy had any idea that I was a pharmacy student. I was just wearing regular clothes and talking like a regular patient.

I have this nasty habit of eavesdropping on people. (I can be doing something, but at the same time, I'm listening in on conversations around me.) Whenever I go to a retail store, I listen around for the stupid ****. For example the other day I had to drop off my aunt's prescriptions. While I was waiting for drop off, the couple in front of me was arguing about their insurance being cancelled. The pharmacist even let them use the store phone to call the insurance company. After not hearing what they wanted from the insurance, they just slammed the phone on the counter and walked away without the prescription.

Then I piped in "that's why I left retail pharmacy folks". Whole pharmacy erupted into laughter.

So now our pharmacy received a new formulated batch of brand of oxycontin 80's with coating, so that it cannot be crushed as easily to snort/inject..

Before the newly formulated oxy80 brand:

patient: I wanna fill this rx, but i only want the oxy80 brand because the generic makes me have a bad reaction..
me: Ok..ill have to call the md..to verify the script first before we can fill this for you..And we are out of the brand..so if we order its going to take a week before we get it in..
Patient: that is fine..i will wait plz order it for me

After they newly formulated oxy80 brand comes out:

Same pt: i wanna fill this rx, but i only want the generic because the brand makes me have a bad reaction
me: .....silence....

Noooo, I Got Two.
You Have 2 Prescriptions Ready Vicodin & Lipitor .
Customer: Ohh I Dont Have Enough Money So I'll Get The Vicodin Today....
It Never Fails.....lol

Yes Ma'm Your Co-payment Is A $1 Oh, You Mean Thats To Much The Regular Price Is $90.00, Ok I'll Call Your Doctor To Have It Changed......ahhhhh

This Drives Me Crazy It Cost More To Drive Back And Forth.!!! Crazy
Sorry for responding several years after the original post, but I just started reading the thread.

MAy I say as someone with both chronic pain issues and high blood pressure that whereas a person may be taking lipitor for their cholesterol, and vicodin for pain, being short of money and opting for vicodin will probably not kill them *and they have PAIN RIGHT NOW*

Why does everybody want to deny someone the right to quality of life? If someone is in chronic pain, remedying the pain adds the ability for many people to do things like actually go to work and function. I can control my diet to drop every form of animal fat and boost omegas to make not getting my lipitor for a week [until I get a paycheck shall we say] but no pain meds, not able to function properly.

For what it is worth, FAI in both hips, OA in both knees, and sciatica. No pain meds during a bad flareup, I can barely walk and sit, let alone function for a day.

Keep it in mind please. Some of us have life issues that really suck ass.

I work as a nurse in a hospital setting and I actually once had a patients wife try to tip me one time. It took me a couple of minutes to convince them that I couldn't accept it and they seemed actually insulted that I wouldn't. If it had just been a dollar or two I would have probably just taken it and used it to buy someone else a soda, like one of the techs that work harder for less money. But when I looked down they were trying to give me a 50 dollar bill :eek:
Last time I was in hospital after I left I arranged for one of those fruit bouquets [with regular and diabetic chocolate dips] to get sent in with a big thank you card ... not a tip but worth every penny [nursing staff at Yale - New Haven in the section I was in were fantastic]

And I am sure they appreciated it. Munchies are always good :)

...I had another...
"I'm here to pick up a prescription."
"And who is it for?"
"Me."

Don't they ever learn that "Me" isn't in our computer system?

We also had someone call and ask if it was ok to give their dog a Xanax, and what they should do if the dog wasn't moving.....Houston, I think there's a problem. :eek:

I was thinking about purple drank yesterday and saw this: (I know he's holding the wrong bottle but it's still funny)

PurpleDrank.jpg

"My bottle says I still have 2 refills!"
"I'm sorry, your prescription expired 3 weeks ago."

I am ALSO posting late on this. When someone has a kidney stone and kidney infection and is not getting paid for another two days, its more important to get rid of the horrid pain they are having from the stone, dont you think? NOT EVERYONE that takes narcotics are ADDICTS!

I learned today that we need to put some sort of bright and noticeable sticker on prescriptions containing glass bottles - apparently it's our fault if a person manages to drop/shatter their cefdinir before they even get out of the store. "You didn't tell me it was a glass bottle so I wasn't as careful as I would be with a glass bottle."

I think I would be careful with my medications regardless of what it was packaged in?

I learned today that we need to put some sort of bright and noticeable sticker on prescriptions containing glass bottles - apparently it's our fault if a person manages to drop/shatter their cefdinir before they even get out of the store. "You didn't tell me it was a glass bottle so I wasn't as careful as I would be with a glass bottle."

:bang:

I think I would be careful with my medications regardless of what it was packaged in?

:thumbup:

Funny, I always was on the edge when it came to the pharmacists ALWAYS telling parents who picked up cefdinir to be careful because it was in a glass bottle and that insurance would not cover it again if they were to break it. Always sounded sort of offensive (like the pharmacists were treating the parents like the children). Now I see why.

Funny, I always was on the edge when it came to the pharmacists ALWAYS telling parents who picked up cefdinir to be careful because it was in a glass bottle and that insurance would not cover it again if they were to break it. Always sounded sort of offensive (like the pharmacists were treating the parents like the children). Now I see why.

I always warn them about the glass bottle for cefdinir even though I've never actually seen one broken. Good to know I'm not completely wasting my time.

This was earlier today.

Patient: "I'm supposed to have two prescriptions."
Me: "Your insurance is saying refills too soon on one of them until Sunday. Do you still have some at home?"
Patient: "Yes, but SUNDAY IS SUPPOSED TO BE POURING RAIN. I CAME IN TODAY AND I WANT THEM BECAUSE IT IS SUNNY."
Me: "I'm sorry, but unfortunately it will not go through the insurance until Sunday..."
*awkward silence*
Patient: "Fine. I will come in to get that one on the next sunny day."

I live in Seattle btw and my weather forecast is saying rain for the next seven days :\

This was earlier today.

Patient: "I'm supposed to have two prescriptions."
Me: "Your insurance is saying refills too soon on one of them until Sunday. Do you still have some at home?"
Patient: "Yes, but SUNDAY IS SUPPOSED TO BE POURING RAIN. I CAME IN TODAY AND I WANT THEM BECAUSE IT IS SUNNY."
Me: "I'm sorry, but unfortunately it will not go through the insurance until Sunday..."
*awkward silence*
Patient: "Fine. I will come in to get that one on the next sunny day."

I live in Seattle btw and my weather forecast is saying rain for the next seven days :\

Dang... Most people around here aren't like that. Correct me if I'm wrong NaOH :laugh:

Southern people are classy.

No, wait... that's a lie. :smuggrin:

:laugh:

All that stuff about customers throwing things at you hasn't happened to me yet. The only times I've had stuff thrown at me was from my coworkers :laugh:

So you personally and not the PIC or the store?

Well, I'm sure she probably would have sued them too.
Well, it all wound up being a bunch of hot air, anyway. As far as I know she never even followed up on her vow to call and complain to the store manager the next day.

Well, I'm sure she probably would have sued them too.
Well, it all wound up being a bunch of hot air, anyway. As far as I know she never even followed up on her vow to call and complain to the store manager the next day.

So she basically wasted her time and energy by getting all worked up about a lawsuit.

Did she even ask questions about what happened and wait for explanations?

This story still makes me sick....

Lady comes up and buys 40$ worth of makeup (She wanted to check out @ pharmacy as its next to makeup) I ring her out and she goes on her way.

About 10 minutes later she returns and wants to pick up tamiflu for her child, the copay is 20-30 bucks i can't remember, however she proceeds to tell me that she can't afford it.

In the end she calls the doctor and wants a "free" antibiotic, yeah you heard me right... Publix Supermarkets gives 7 away for free.... oh yeah and immediate release metformin.

..... I feel sorry for that sick child.

Another rant... 1/5 - 1/4 of our scripts are freebies... and we have more work transfering scripts to other chains so they can just get the free one and then pay 4$ for scripts 2-infinity at any other chain... AHHH

WRITE IT ON SEPARATE PAPER DOCS!

Last edited:
i think i would've "gently reminded" her that the unopened makeup could be returned (or maybe even the opened ones?) so she could afford her sick kid's meds.

This story still makes me sick....

Lady comes up and buys 40$ worth of makeup (She wanted to check out @ pharmacy as its next to makeup) I ring her out and she goes on her way.

About 10 minutes later she returns and wants to pick up tamiflu for her child, the copay is 20-30 bucks i can't remember, however she proceeds to tell me that she can't afford it.

In the end she calls the doctor and wants a "free" antibiotic, yeah you heard me right... Publix Supermarkets gives 7 away for free.... oh yeah and immediate release metformin.

..... I feel sorry for that sick child.

Another rant... 1/5 - 1/4 of our scripts are freebies... and we have more work transfering scripts to other chains so they can just get the free one and then pay 4$ for scripts 2-infinity at any other chain... AHHH

WRITE IT ON SEPARATE PAPER DOCS!

i think i would've "gently reminded" her that the unopened makeup could be returned (or maybe even the opened ones?) so she could afford her sick kid's meds.

You are not the only one. I think I'm going to have a few arguments with my patients. But, that one is just messed up.

Sounds great, if you enjoy being cussed out. ;)

I haven't been cussed out by a customer yet. I've heard one cuss around me, but he didn't direct it at anybody.

Am I just lucky or are people around here not as bad as other places? What do you think NaOH? :laugh: