the same question everyone asks...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Southern Sun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all - I am making a career change and am running out of time! Okay, so I'm only 40. But I'm 40! Here goes:

Since college graduation, I've worked on the business end of healthcare - health insurance. It's a profession I have never been proud to own, though I am certainly grateful for it and how it's provided for my family. I have always (I mean, since my first memories), wanted to work on the clinical side of healthcare. I was STRONGLY influenced to just get my business degree and get out of school, and that's what I did.

Over the years I have considered going back to school multiple times. Initially I was leaning towards an RN/MSN direct-entry program. However, as I've learned more about the training and curriculum of that program compared to a local PA Master's program, I really think I prefer the PA route. I also believe I have a good understanding of the differences in practice, setting, and political environment...but the training is my sticking point.

My problem - I messed around for a year and a half in college and came out with a 2.95 undergrad GPA. I was doing coursework I hated and was just not motivated for a period of time. I got my act together the last year or so, but it was too late.

I can't move, so I am limited to applying to schools that are local. The MSN program requires a 3.0 GPA; the PA program requires a 3.25. Both require GRE scores of at least 300; I've already taken it and scored 311. I know I have the intellectual ability AND the desire. I am currently in science pre-requisites and haven't earned less than a 94 on any given assignment/quiz/test. I am very focused on making all As. By the end I will be able to raise my GPA, but if I do my best, it still won't get to a 3.25.

I have no healthcare clinical experience. The PA school here does not require it, but it certainly helps...especially in light of my other 'weaknesses.' I feel like I have a better chance of getting into the NP program. They have more seats than the PA program and the requirements aren't as stringent. But I just really want the training the PA program provides! If I go in the NP route, I would apply to the Acute Care track. I believe I would ultimately end up working in similar environments no matter what. I am just stuck right now on the training itself.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I making this a bigger deal than it is? My plan right now it to apply to both schools this fall for 2016. The pre-reqs aren't exactly the same, but there is some overlap. I'm just trying to make the best decisions for my future.

Thanks to all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

direct entry np would be the easy route.
pa would teach you medicine better, but would require you to get better grades and a few thousand hrs of HCE first to be a competitive applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Note that minimum GPAs are often much lower than the average GPA of an accepted student. Depending on the direct entry program, the average GPA of accepted students could be in the 3.5+ range (even with ADN programs, you often hear of GPAs in the 3.7+ range in the prerequisite courses and overall, especially at state schools/community colleges, for their tuition). A 2.95 for a direct entry program, with the minimum GPA being 3.0, may very well not be enough, especially today when everyone and their brother wants to do nursing :). However, since you're doing well in courses now, maybe you'll be over a 3.0 when you're done (sometimes having tons of credits makes it hard for the GPA to move!).

You sound like you are more interested in PA over nursing. You should stick with that. If you aren't interested in being a nurse/NP, then you shouldn't do it. Maybe you should take more science courses, get health care experience as emedpa says, then apply to the program that you really desire. I'm of the personal opinion that people should do nursing (or whatever profession) because they love nursing and want to be in the nursing profession, not because they think it is easier.

Check out http://www.physicianassistantforum.com for more thoughts from PAs. Check out http://allnurses.com for more thoughts from RNs and NPs. Also for allnurses, you can go to your individual state's sub-forum, and ask about your chances at the direct entry MSN program that you're considering. Perhaps someone there will have an idea of average GPAs of accepted students at your local program.

Good luck!

Thank you, emed and NYCGuy. I am frustrated with my GPA in undergrad...if only I understood the future implications! Fortunately, I graduated in 4 years with the minimum number of credit hours (not much messing around). Therefore, it will be easier for me to raise my GPA than someone who had a couple of extra years in undergrad. I've run the numbers and believe I can get to close to 3.20. My science GPA is gonna rock though :)

I just found out that a local university is opening a program to start in January 2016...I may actually have a shot at this one. I'm trying to get more info now.

Thanks again for your help.

Direct entry gpa requirements will be just as high as PA programs, but won't have as rigorous prereqs. And that's right about nursing programs. My RN program at a cheap community college had more applicants than the local pa program, albeit less bachelors degree holders with significant science academic backgrounds. Almost everyone in my nursing cohort had a bachelors degree, and all of us had gpa's above 3.0 (at least the ones I knew), and many folks were OCD 4.0 students. It seemed there were no shortage of people who freaked out if the got B+'s or B's on anything. I know some dummy nurses, but I don't know many that have poor grades. I've noticed grades have more to do with work ethic than brains anyway.

I hope I didn't come across as dissing the nursing profession...not at all. It just so happens that my local direct-entry MSN program has a lower GPA requirement than the local PA program. Similar GRE. Pre-reqs overlap in A&P, Micro, Psych, but PA then requires chemistry whereas nursing wants nutrition and statistics.

I have no doubt that that the average GPA of accepted students is much higher than the minimum! I'm just hoping that when they see my recent school-work, combined with my 'life experience' and desire, that I would still be considered.

I didn't think you were dissing anyone. When you see minimum gpa's, especially for PA schools, know that that's the minimum that they will consider. When applicants are paying $50 per application to a school, the lowered gpa means revenue... Lots if it. But with only a few seats to fill, you have to think realistically. Most applicants don't... They think "well I make the cutoff", but if 95% of the candidates that actually get in have high gpa's, that leaves 5% of the seats to be competed for by 80% of the candidates that are left.... Those odds are absolutely terrible.