The Republic of Texas XLII: You Don't Just Move Into Texas, It Moves Into You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be sharing things with you as I hear them and as our cycle unfolds.
Some of the schools have sent out their first interview invitations in July.
Some schools don't start inviting until late August, so "no news" is not bad news, and there are months of invitations to come.

I'll come back to this thread to edit and add dates of the invites that I hear about, and update as more schools take action.

~*~*~Interview Invitations~*~*~
UT Tyler: July 3, 20, 25, Aug 21,
Texas Tech Lubbock: July 11,17, 20, 21, 26, 27, Aug 4, 14, 20, 22,
Texas Tech El Paso: July 12, 19, 22, Aug 1, 4, 11,
McGovern: July 13, 19, Aug 1, 3, 9, 17, 23,
U of H Fertitta: July 17, Aug 4, 22,
EnMed (A&M): July 18, Aug 24,
Texas A&M: July 19, 24, Aug 2, 8, 14, 16, 23,
Dell: July 19, 24, 26, 27, Aug 7, 16,
Baylor: July 21, 25, Aug 1, 8, 14, 15, 22,
UTMB: July 24, Aug 11, 12,
UTSW: July 31, Aug 1, 4, 23,
Long: July 31, Aug 8,
UTRGV: Aug 9, 18, 23, 24,
TCU: Aug 17

SHSU (DO): July 3, 6, 11, 27, Aug 4, 21, 22,
UNTHSC (TCOM) (DO): July 28, 31, Aug 2, 16,
UIWSOM (DO): Aug 7, 17,
seems like a lot more IIs are going out early in the cycle this year compared to last year

Members don't see this ad.

idk if this is the right place to post this but what are the thoughts on reusing secondary stories in interviews? I used a lot of my “best” stories in my secondaries, esp for the schools that asked a bunch of questions lol
I did it, because not every interview is open file and even if it is, the interviewers see SO many people they may have forgotten your story. I always prefaced it with, "I did write about this in my secondaries, but I wanted to expand more on XYZ". Definitely bring something new to the table, don't just repeat your essays.

Reactions: 1 user
I did it, because not every interview is open file and even if it is, the interviewers see SO many people they may have forgotten your story. I always prefaced it with, "I did write about this in my secondaries, but I wanted to expand more on XYZ". Definitely bring something new to the table, don't just repeat your essays.
Fair warning: some of my interviewers only helped out once a week and could only spare the time to interview one person, open file. They read everything you wrote. I would tell interviewing candidates this before everything started.

So as stated, the format matters. You probably cannot repeat everything you wrote, but just know what to expect.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just checked my TMDSAS portal and I see a new tab with School Preference. I am so confused because some of the schools that I have interviews for are not showing up. I assume they will be updated after I complete the interview.

Just checked my TMDSAS portal and I see a new tab with School Preference. I am so confused because some of the schools that I have interviews for are not showing up. I assume they will be updated after I complete the interview.
Yes, it's up to someone at each school's office to update that information from their side of the portal.
TMDSAS itself does not perform this duty.
Schools seem to do this about once a month or so.

Oh and P.S. I just noticed you hinted you haven't gone to some of these interviews yet. Definitely won't see them updated until after you interview.

This thread is very helpful. Is there a similar thread that tracks IIs for schools outside of Texas?

This thread is very helpful. Is there a similar thread that tracks IIs for schools outside of Texas?
There isn't, but the best way to do that is hit the "watch" button at the top of each of your AMCAS schools and you will be notified when there is a new post by seeing a number on the little bell icon on the toolbar.

Do you guys know how long after an interview should the school appear on the TMDSAS ranking list?

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys know how long after an interview should the school appear on the TMDSAS ranking list?
Anywhere from few weeks to months? SHSUCOM showed up about 3 weeks after my interview.

Doesn’t really matter till we get closer to match day!

Anywhere from few weeks to months? SHSUCOM showed up about 3 weeks after my interview.

Doesn’t really matter till we get closer to match day!
Thank you! I was worried because a school I interviewed with later got it in sooner. If it doesn't appear, does that mean that I got a post-interview rejection?

I only have 2 schools showing up for now out of 4 IIs that I received. I think I will just wait and see.

Thank you! I was worried because a school I interviewed with later got it in sooner. If it doesn't appear, does that mean that I got a post-interview rejection?
Noo!! It just means they haven’t added it on their end yet. Even if you were rejected the school will show up there!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an interview on Friday that's already on the list, and one I interviewed with the first week of August is missing. I think it's really just school dependent, but I was nervous about that too

As @wysdoc has said in the past, each school has to update their interviewed list on TMDSAS and it is entirely school dependent.

You have to rank schools by deadline for match day. You have a long way to go before start worrying a missing school.

February 2Submission deadline for RANKING of SCHOOL PREFERENCE for the TMDSAS admissions match; must be entered online by 5 p.m. CST

I got an II for Baylor about a month ago and I'm definitely thankful, but it's my only II, and im getting kinda worried since my stats are well below the school's median. Ik it's only august but starting to think it was a fluke bcuz what are the chances that I only get Baylor and nothing else lol

I got an II for Baylor about a month ago and I'm definitely thankful, but it's my only II, and im getting kinda worried since my stats are well below the school's median. Ik it's only august but starting to think it was a fluke bcuz what are the chances that I only get Baylor and nothing else lol
LM 73 at one time used to be very close to the top. There was a time when people said 3.8 and 38 (76) was competitive for most schools in the nation. Your MCAT might be lower but your GPA must be good enough for Baylor. They should be good enough for most other schools in Texas.

So now I am really confused. All of the schools I have interviewed at have shown up in the ranking section of TMDSAS. How does ranking work and what if I get more Texas IIs in the future?

So now I am really confused. All of the schools I have interviewed at have shown up in the ranking section of TMDSAS. How does ranking work and what if I get more Texas IIs in the future?
I promise I will write a long post about this in December or January :=|:-):
For now, take notes after your interview days and think about all the factors: Location, closeness to support system, Special features of each school, Special areas you are interested in, later some may offer you scholarships (though all Texas schools cost roughly the same).

Wait and rank them later when you have seen the ones you are going to see. No need to do it now :)

• Love
I promise I will write a long post about this in December or January :=|:-):
For now, take notes after your interview days and think about all the factors: Location, closeness to support system, Special features of each school, Special areas you are interested in, later some may offer you scholarships (though all Texas schools cost roughly the same).

Wait and rank them later when you have seen the ones you are going to see. No need to do it now :)

Ok perfect appreciate it!

• Love
Lots of steps remaining before ranking in February. Prematches from some or all schools, scholarships from some and so on. Then you figure out which school you like best and put down 1!

The cycle is still very, very young! I got my last II last year in December. Someone in my class received an II in January. There’s still plenty of time!

Does Sam Houston have funding from the state now to lower their tuition to standard state level for instate?

Can TMDSAS schools see other Texas schools that interviewed you?

Can TMDSAS schools see other Texas schools that interviewed you?
Yes, they can see which ones interviewed you (after they have interviewed you themselves) but they do not have access to the secondaries you wrote for other schools or anything else about your interviews at the other schools.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh interesting. Does it incentivize schools to take applicants with multiple interviews?

Oh interesting. Does it incentivize schools to take applicants with multiple interviews?
No I don’t think they go about it that way - because they can’t see where else you have interviewed until they invite you.
But they might look at it later as “hey, a lot of other schools agree that this is a good candidate”

No I don’t think they go about it that way - because they can’t see where else you have interviewed until they invite you.
Now they might look at it later as “hey, a lot of other schools agree that this is a good candidate”

Do they prioritize applicants who only get an interview to their school or only to a few schools because they are more likely to attend?

Ok so during match they can be like "Hmmm Rite got 4 interviews, other schools agree he is a good applicant we should match him/her" ?

Do they prioritize applicants who only get an interview to their school or only to a few schools because they are more likely to attend?
They rank their favorite students and you rank your favorite schools and it all goes into the Match algorithm to come up with your matches.
We'll talk about this later, or you can see my spiel about match and prematches from last year: #262

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
But they might look at it later as “hey, a lot of other schools agree that this is a good candidate”
@wysdoc I have been assuming they can see who has been interviewed where. You are certain they can only see after they call up a candidate and not before?

What is tuition this year?

Nevermind. Google was giving me a different number but I see updated numbers on their website. Last year it read 55,000 for everyone for tuition.

Resident
Non-Resident
Program Fee$26,500$41,600
Books and Supplies (Including Diagnostic Equipment)$4,500$4,500
Food and Housing$16,080$16,080
Transportation$2,990$2,990
Personal/Miscellaneous Expenses (Includes health insurance)$9,190$9,190
Loan Fees$1,080$1,720
TOTAL COST OF ATTENDANCE$60,340$76,080

@wysdoc I have been assuming they can see who has been interviewed where. You are certain they can only see after they call up a candidate and not before?
That's my understanding from talking to TMDSAS folks.
I'm not sure why people get worried about it but some do, every year.
Med school admissions folks know that it's wise to apply to a good number of schools, and that most Texans will apply to most of the TMDSAS schools. No school expects you to apply to only their school :)

Every school has a range of stats; the median is not a hard cutoff. Plenty of my classmates had 523s, 525s, etc and equally as many had 510s, 508s, etc.

There is no chance that you tricked every single member of the admissions committee into somehow thinking you're a great fit and wanting to interview you. Trust that they know what they're doing and what they saw: an excellent applicant and a potential excellent future member of their community.

• Care
do tx schools accept letters of intent and when should I send mine?

The interview season is still early and no one is going to read your letter of intent before the first prematches are issued.

Only after an interview
Only after you see if you got in somewhere first
Usually only after you have had 2 or more interviews.

In other words, it's pointless at this point

Also, in Texas we state our intent by ranking a school #1 for the TMDSAS match
You guys will get tired of me saying this, but it's the way for Texans to state which TMDSAS school they like best.
It holds so much more weight than a letter of intent because it is binding in the Match.

I am a bit confused. When we rank a TMDASAS School #1 I thought the schools have no idea where you rank them. Wouldn't a letter of intent tell the school you ranked them high? Or is there some way for schools to tell?

I am a bit confused. When we rank a TMDASAS School #1 I thought the schools have no idea where you rank them. Wouldn't a letter of intent tell the school you ranked them high? Or is there some way for schools to tell?
They will know on Match Day just like you

so like if i’m not getting interviews i can’t reach out to any of them? i was under the impression that people did update schools if they’ve been experiencing radio silence
Your interest in a school and your reasons should have been expressed in your secondary essays.
At this time the schools are reading new apps, comparing them to ones that came in previously, and making decisions about whom to interview.
This is possibly the hardest period in the application process, when you have done your part and self-doubt begins to creep in.

Try to understand that the schools are trying to evaluate applicants on an equal footing right now: on the basis of their grades + scores + primary and secondary applications.
Your next chance to set yourself apart from the crowd will be at an interview. You can get ready by thinking about what to say if they ask "tell me about yourself". The rest of a 1:1 interview will follow on from there.

Can they see whether you have any IIs before they decide to invite you?

Great news! The friendly @purkinjekitty is the first one to announce an admission offer from a Texas school! :soexcited::bow::soexcited::bow:

Let's talk about AACOMAS DO applications a little:
UIWSOM is the only Texas school that can make an offer this early: on the AACOMAS system schools can make offers pretty soon after an interview. The down side of this system is that they also ask for a substantial $$ deposit to hold the seat.
DO applicants can wait until just before a deposit deadline to pay it, while in the meantime going to other interviews.
On the other hand, if they get an early acceptance to a school they really love, they can stop there and not go to further interviews at all.

We have 2 other DO schools in Texas (SHSU and UNTHSC/TCOM) but they run on the TMDSAS timeline, which allows admissions offers October 15 at the very earliest.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Great news! The friendly @purkinjekitty is the first one to announce an admission offer from a Texas school! :soexcited::bow::soexcited::bow:

Let's talk about AACOMAS DO applications a little:
UIWSOM is the only Texas school that can make an offer this early: on the AACOMAS system schools can make offers pretty soon after an interview. The down side of this system is that they also ask for a substantial $$ deposit to hold the seat.
DO applicants can wait until just before a deposit deadline to pay it, while in the meantime going to other interviews.
On the other hand, if they get an early acceptance to a school they really love, they can stop there and not go to further interviews at all.

We have 2 other DO schools in Texas (SHSU and UNTHSC/TCOM) but they run on the TMDSAS timeline, which allows admissions offers October 15 at the very earliest.
I am honored to be labeled “the friendly” LOL. Thank you @wysdoc !

• Love
  • Haha
does anyone have any idea what more mid-tier schools in tx would value in an applicant? i’ve personally had an early baylor interview but nothing after that and i have friends who have only had baylor and utsw but nothing else… that’s weird to me bc i was really targeting schools like utmb and A&M 🥲

does anyone have any idea what more mid-tier schools in tx would value in an applicant? i’ve personally had an early baylor interview but nothing after that and i have friends who have only had baylor and utsw but nothing else… that’s weird to me bc i was really targeting schools like utmb and A&M 🥲
Relevant responses to their secondary questions would be my opinion.
"I only had Baylor" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Haha
  • Wow