The Republic of Texas XLII: You Don't Just Move Into Texas, It Moves Into You

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most are still virtual this year.
SHSU, UT Tyler, and EnMed are in person.
UIWSOM gave a choice last year
Anyone know of any others in person?
Is TCOM in person for interviews? Last I heard, it was in-person.

Members don't see this ad.

Most are still virtual this year.
SHSU, UT Tyler, and EnMed are in person.
UIWSOM gave a choice last year
Anyone know of any others in person?
UTRGV.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do yall prefer in person or virtual interviews in Texas? I know in person can be more difficult for schedules, but I loved my in person interview and felt very disconnected during my virtual interview.
I just did both an in-person and a virtual this past week. Although the in-person was an MMI and the virtual a traditional, I still felt that I was able to make a better presentation of myself in person. I was still able to have good conversations with my virtual interviewers, but I still enjoyed my in-person interview more. However, figuring out travel and hotel was stressful, and I'm glad I don't have to worry about that for my other ones. Definitely some trade-offs for both!

cowboy-and-son.jpg

How's everything going, you little Texans and wanna-be Texans?
Want to talk about it?

What's the timeline?
Here is this year's timeline for the TMDSAS application. Our TMDSAS Match is going to be Friday, Feb 16, 2024
This means you need to turn in your rank list of all the schools which interviewed you by 5 PM on Friday Feb 2.
Now it's wayyyy too early to ask lots of questions about the TMDSAS Match, but I promise we will get to it around January 2024.
You can also watch the many videos that TMDSAS has prepared about this at your leisure.

Screenshot 2023-07-23 at 4.08.14 PM.png

Wait, what if I haven't even turned in my TMDSAS Primary yet?
Well, get busy on that!
-You need to fill in all the blanks, including every course at every college and the grades.
-You need the names and emails of your minimum 3 recommenders. You can't submit without those names, but the letters can come in later.
(Don't put anyone's name unless they have agreed to write it, though!)
-You need to enter the date of your MCAT tests
-You need to select the schools you will apply to

-You need to pay the application fee (do that the very last thing, because paying = submitting)
-You don't need to submit transcripts.

DON'T forget that you need to log in to your MCAT portal and give them permission to send your scores to TMDSAS!

But am I too late?
No, you are not too late. Remember though that processing time is about 4 weeks and a school needs to read about you before they can interview you or even send you a secondary.

Here is a graph of when folks have turned in their primary app over the last 4 years:
Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 1.57.09 PM.png

You can see that the bulk of applications are turned in during the months of May, June, and July.
Still healthy numbers in August & September too.
I see you 244 stragglers who turned it in on Nov 1...

A lot of you will ask why turn it in so early just to wait months for an interview?
Each school has a limited number of interview slots, and the later you turn in your app, the more of those interview dates are already in the past and fewer remain.
The graph below gets at that concept:

Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 1.56.49 PM.png

That's about all I wanted to say for today.
Keep working steadily on your essays, CASPer test, and/or MCAT retakes if that's part of your plan.
Once you have finished everything it's easy to let self-doubt creep in, but resist that and keep busy in your life while waiting.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Has anyone with late July completion dates gotten any IIs from TMDSAS apart from UTMB?

Has anyone with late July completion dates gotten any IIs from TMDSAS apart from UTMB?
Unless someone is high stat or in some other institutional interest category, someone who submitted 10 days ago wont be reviewed this quickly ahead of all others to be reviewed.

Reactions: 1 users
No IIs yet for me. I was complete 7/19 for most of them. UTSW and UTMB I completed 7/25. UTRGV gave me theirs later so I just completed theirs today 8/8. UIW I wasn't complete until 7/21, even though I submitted their secondary 6/30, since they took a while to process my letters

Reactions: 1 user
complete 7/13 for most of my tmdsas schools but still no IIs :(

complete 7/10 for most of my tmdsas schools but no MD IIs. anybody in the same boat?

complete 7/10 for most of my tmdsas schools but no MD IIs. anybody in the same boat?
If you have an 80, it would be shocking that no one pushed up your app. Otherwise, it is quite possible people are still reviewing.

It is a long season. Mid to late October is when to start wondering.

If you have an 80, it would be shocking that no one pushed up your app. Otherwise, it is quite possible people are still reviewing.

It is a long season. Mid to late October is when to start wondering.
LM 70.5 and WARS 86, do you think I have a shot or when people in my stats hear back?

Members don't see this ad :)
LM 70.5 and WARS 86, do you think I have a shot or when people in my stats hear back?
I do remember seeing some getting called with those type of numbers.

Usually numbers below 74 or so get reviewed in the order they are received unless one meets some other institutional need. You have to watch for those getting interviews with your numbers and check on their completion date. This is one reason people keep asking about completion date.

It was unavailable for quite a bit, but the TMDSAS dashbord with admissions statistics is back up and running!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
A interesting statistic is the 2544 accepted but only 2143 matriculated. Must’ve gotten some amazing OOS offers (or changed their mind?)

Edit: the data above includes OOS applicants

Last edited:
It was unavailable for quite a bit, but the TMDSAS dashbord with admissions statistics is back up and running!
Playing with this is my favorite passtime while waiting for interviews 😂

• Haha
Playing with this is my favorite passtime while waiting for interviews 😂
Definitely kills some downtime at work and scratches my itch to be neurotic 😂

A interesting statistic is the 2544 accepted but only 2143 matriculated. Must’ve gotten some amazing OOS offers (or changed their mind?)
Interesting to see almost 400 extra offers. UTSW overadmitted and probably got 20-30 to defer.

As people drop out from OOS pool, more offers are made. I would expect about 50% or less conversion ratio for OOS. Checking 2021 spreadsheet, Baylor admitted 77 for 30, UTSW 74 for 36 and Long 53 for 27. There may be some overlaps but most of the missing numbers of 111 just didnt show up anywhere in Texas.

My guess is about 5-7% go OOS. There should be some AMCAS tables to back that up.

Interesting to see almost 400 extra offers. UTSW overadmitted and probably got 20-30 to defer.

As people drop out from OOS pool, more offers are made. I would expect about 50% or less conversion ratio for OOS. Checking 2021 spreadsheet, Baylor admitted 77 for 30, UTSW 74 for 36 and Long 53 for 27. There may be some overlaps but most of the missing numbers of 111 just didnt show up anywhere in Texas.

My guess is about 5-7% go OOS. There should be some AMCAS tables to back that up.
Yes, this AAMC table A-5 shows you applicants from each state and how many stayed IS, went OOS, or were admitted nowhere.
Remember that last category is about 60% of applicants :(

Attachments

• 2022_FACTS_Table_A-5.pdf
    207.6 KB · Views: 108
Yes, this AMCAS table A-5 shows you applicants from each state and how many stayed IS, went OOS, or were admitted nowhere.
Remember that last category is about 60% of applicants :(
Wow, 341 this year went OOS! My guesstimate of 5-7% was valid at 6.5%!

Wow, 341 this year went OOS! My guesstimate of 5-7% was valid at 6.5%!
Interesting to note that 12% (268/2258) of the Texas residents accepted IS ended up matriculating OOS. Feels like a lot.

Interesting to note that 12% (268/2258) of the Texas residents accepted IS ended up matriculating OOS. Feels like a lot.
Those will be the high stats guys who want to explore a different part of the US for med school.
Lots of reasons and priorities in this long year of applications :)

How much service generally do most tx schools like to see? I have a bit of service but not a ton and only got an II from utsw after being complete mid july for tx. I’m thankful but my stats and research are well below the utsw avg so i’m scared that it’s gonna be my only II due to lack of service
They obviously see something in your app they like. Be confident in yourself and just go kill it!

anyone have any success stories of getting multiple IIs super late with somewhat avg stats but still getting in for tx? getting kinda worried since i was really hoping for UTMB, AM, tech, etc. but it’s not looking great for my 07/10 completion date 😅

anyone have any success stories of getting multiple IIs super late with somewhat avg stats but still getting in for tx? getting kinda worried since i was really hoping for UTMB, AM, tech, etc. but it’s not looking great for my 07/10 completion date 😅
Same, I was complete 6/22 🥲 hoping the Sept./Oct. II waves come in clutch

Reactions: 4 users
I saw in last years threads several people getting IIs after being complete in October

anyone have any success stories of getting multiple IIs super late with somewhat avg stats but still getting in for tx? getting kinda worried since i was really hoping for UTMB, AM, tech, etc. but it’s not looking great for my 07/10 completion date
Same. Pretty average stats and complete for most 7/19. Just really hoping to get a shot in those later waves. Trying to stay calm cus I saw someone just got an ii yesterday being complete in May

Have yall applied OOS too? I’ve been getting a lot of love from DO schools OOS, and honestly they all seem like such great programs for someone like me that wants to do IM or psych!

Have yall applied OOS too? I’ve been getting a lot of love from DO schools OOS, and honestly they all seem like such great programs for someone like me that wants to do IM or psych!
didn’t apply DO oos 😅 but really hoping for anything in tx bc oos tuition….

• Care
I can attest to this. I also applied to OOS DO schools and have been getting a lot of love.

Is this common? If they are 20-30 that deferred, does this mean there are 20-30 fewer spots available this year at UTSW? Did other schools also do this?

Is this common? If they are 20-30 that deferred, does this mean there are 20-30 fewer spots available this year at UTSW? Did other schools also do this?
It is not common but it has happened a time or two in the last 10 years in Texas.
Those who deferred would have been in the following year's class thus cutting down the number of seats available to new applicants.

However, I think this temporary lump of too many students has passed (Over-admitted 2 yrs ago and deferred guys are starting in 2023) and we should be back to normal for this 2023-2024 cycle. @texasvandy is this your recollection?

It is not common but it has happened a time or two in the last 10 years in Texas.
Those who deferred would have been in the following year's class thus cutting down the number of seats available to new applicants.

However, I think this temporary lump of too many students has passed (Over-admitted 2 yrs ago and deferred guys are starting in 2023) and we should be back to normal for this 2023-2024 cycle. @texasvandy is this your recollection?
@wysdoc - Happened in 2020-2021 cycle most likely due to Baylor joining the match and messing up UTSW process since they used to compete on TMDSAS vs AMCAS where many Texans were able to keep both admissions until May 1st.

Since UTSW already started school and we have not heard any rumblings about excess admissions for 2022-2023, it should not impact the current application batch.

Speaking of joining the match, any chance TCU is going to?
Unlikely as they are a private school which likes to include students from all over the US and always has done so since inception.
They don’t have to keep to the maximum 10% OOS rule if they are not part of TMDSAS.

ughhh i thought with classes starting last week i would be able to get my mind off of IIs but it’s still so nervewracking… esp watching as the schools pass you up with every wave of invites rip
Come on, @taco1572 keep the faith.
You’ve done your part and know that the interview invitations carry on through the whole fall term.

• Care
does anyone have a list of which Texas schools accept update letters or letters of continued interest? Also, when in the cycle do people usually send these types of letters?

Alright, all of my TMDSAS secondaries are complete as of today. I submitted my primary on 7/1, which was transmitted to schools on 8/8. I'm OOS with strong ties and solid stats (520+ MCAT, 3.9ish sGPA, but 3.6ish cGPA). Does anyone care to speculate whether I'm at a big disadvantage, having completed everything so much later than most? Regardless, I hope to get at least one or two interviews. And I wish the best to everyone here!

PS - how much does having strong ties help with an OOS application?

Last edited:
Alright, all of my TMDSAS secondaries are complete as of today. I submitted my primary on 7/1, which was transmitted to schools on 8/8. I'm OOS with strong ties and solid stats (520+ MCAT, 3.9ish sGPA, but 3.6ish cGPA). Does anyone care to speculate whether I'm at a big disadvantage, having completed everything so much later than most? Regardless, I hope to get at least one or two interviews. And I wish the best to everyone here!

I think making strong "why this school" essays and being an attractive candidate are the deciding factors for OOS applicants. You don't have to prove any Texas ties (I know, nobody believes me about this)!
The very regional-mission driven schools like UTRGV & UT Tyler will be less likely to take OOS but the other schools will.
You do not have my permission to worry unless you have no TMDSAS interviews by the end of October :partyblob:

• Love
  • Care

There is a 10% OOS and most of those usually go to people with high stats. I dont think your overall GPA will impact you since most schools want to see high sGPA. There should definitely be 3-4 interview calls for you (UTMB, Long, McGovern A&M, Tech, El Paso). How much over 520 determines whether UTSW and Baylor talk to you.

If this works I plan to start a fortuneteller business on the side.

• Haha
idk if this is the right place to post this but what are the thoughts on reusing secondary stories in interviews? I used a lot of my “best” stories in my secondaries, esp for the schools that asked a bunch of questions lol

idk if this is the right place to post this but what are the thoughts on reusing secondary stories in interviews? I used a lot of my “best” stories in my secondaries, esp for the schools that asked a bunch of questions lol
actually wondering the same thing, i would assume it’s ok? but idk bc i don’t have that many solid stories/examples either

Here's some dumb advice that will make you roll your eyes :rolleyes:when you think about it and that will make you relax & be ready for your interview.

My best advice for a 1:1 interview is to listen attentively to what they are asking you. Then you will know what to start talking about. It's a dialogue, not a script or monologue.
If you tune out on the first half of their question, searching your brain, thinking ... - ah! this would be a good place to tell that story about the calf I tried to rope that got away!
Well, then, you will lose the train of thought just like ya lost that calf. Your interviewer will be lost too.
An interviewer "might" say, "tell me more about your time in the rodeo" but he won't say "tell that calf story again just like I read in your application."

Reactions: 4 users
Interviews are driven usually by what you mentioned in your primary and secondary for that school that catches the interviewer's eye. You would be forced to discuss more about what you wrote.

Backing up a bit...

Open or closed file interview? Panel or individual? MMI or traditional (you can have a traditional interview station but only have a few minutes to answer two or three questions)?

Will the interviewers read your essays beforehand or afterwards?

The answers will guide you on how much detail you can recall in your experiences from your secondaries. You should be honest with your reflections, but don't over-rehearse.

I don't think "repeating" your essays is what you actually will do, but you should be able to recall highlights that you may have disclosed and possibly go into depth if prompted on them (see previous advice).