The Reality of Podiatry School Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is no such thing as a bomb, it is only Chuck Norris jumping from an aircraft and punching the ground.

Members don't see this ad.

The First Rule about Chuck Norris is that

No one talks about Chuck Norris

How did turn to a CN thread

Members don't see this ad :)
So is it true that NYCPM is the worst school?

are you really gonna listen to a guys ranking who has never even been admitted to a podiatry school on the ranking and just has one post

He could be a janitor for all we know

No, its not true. Why? Because Chuck Norris went to nycpm and it was instantly transformed into the best pod school.

Reactions: 1 user
EVERY school will give you the tools necessary. It is up to each individual to make the best of their education, get a great residency and be a top notch practitioner. It doesn't matter what school you go to. It is ultimately up to YOU.

Pringle, NYCPM is not the worst school. Once you attend any school, you no longer hear all of this negativity. This negativity is fed by pre podiatry students that have no idea what they are talking about. My education here at NYCPM is top notch; I have conversed with students from other schools, as has every fourth year student, and almost all agree that the educations between all schools are quite similar.

It is a shame that some people still continue threads of this nature. Students at every school are doing great things. A NYCPM student just won the APMSA student of the year award. Many are getting their research published this year, as have many in the past. The clinic is always packed with patients of varying pathologies.

No, NYCPM is not the worst school. It is the best school FOR ME THOUGH. Who the hell cares about ranking the schools? Go where you think you will do the best. It is an individual decision. If you'd like to discuss my individual experiences further, PM me.

IMHO Yale's podiatry school is just a little better than Columbia's....

Don't discount the Caribbean schools either - getting a 10 on the MCAT is tough for some people!

Their are a few mistakes I made in my original posting, for that I apologize. As far as Temple being part of Penn, it is correct that it was PCPM. They work closely with UPenn in Philadelphia currently, and are the primary candidates for their programs. I believe at one point they had exclusive acceptance into the very well respected 4 year program at Presby- this may have changed.
Second, I am not saying DO education is inferior to MD education- as I'm sure many schools share teachers. I was just saying, respect-wise... if you are sharing teachers with a medical school that is ranked vs unranked ... some people might see that as a bonus.
Third, why am I posting in a podiatry section... because I see 4th years rotate through my hospital every month, asking the same questions. I personally think for Pod residencies it's more about "who you know" and your performance in clinics, rather than the grades you get the first two years, that actually matters. I am not offering a politically correct was of ranking... but just the way that MDs who know nothing about Podiatry would rank them. I am was simply saying how they would be ranked if they were ranked based on the scale the medical schools use. Podiatry schools are different, and it's not likely they will completely "merge" them with med schools...it's just something to think about.
Also, without data such as matching statistics, career placement, etc... it's really hard to "officially" rank the schools on a real scale... and no one is going to agree. I was just giving a way to rank them if they were help on medical school standards. Maybe dental school standards would be better, considering they are both specialized... but without US NEWS rankings, by med school is the only "real" comparison I could give them.
So I guess the best way would be to look at the medical programs that school offers, where they are ranked, and compare. Unfortunately, in the medical world... if no one has ever hear of your school... you don't get as much credit. And considering a lot of people have never even heard of podiatry school, doesn't help matters any. I think a lot of the other schools are really good- I just was giving a perspective that a lot of people outside of the podiatry world have.
I would love responses that include information, that has a source sited that gives credit to the other schools, where credit is due. Instead of people complaining about this, it would be nice to turn it into something where those attending these individual schools, show us why they are good schools. Let's put together some facts and figures for people applying... so that they can make an educated decision on which school is best for them, and maybe, MD's can learn a little more about the schools instead of going off of the ranking system that exists for us.
Why I care? I work with you all and think it's important to understand that we judge based on what we know (our ranking system). The best DPM I know, went to the school in Oakland, so obviously it's not all about where you went to school. I just know a lot of podiatrist complain about not being respected... which is why the ranking I made was based on how the outsides see's it. Discredit me all you want, but I prefer to be proved wrong. So please post only sited sources that can give those applying insite, and those on the outside, reasons to respect schools on more than just the med school they are attached to.

P.S. People replying saying, "this is a troll," or, "my school is the best," should be deleted. I would like this to turn into a post meant to educate people. Note: my post was not fact based, it was pretty much just what I hear from all my colleagues... and again based my ranking off of the official US NEWS and World Report rankings.

I do want to say that I DO NOT think NYCPM is the worst school AT ALL. I really think it has a lot to offer, especially considering it probably has more connections than any other school. I would need more information about the issues with them being unable to work on the ankle, etc.

Completely agree with you hear. These people that use poor grammar when there trying to make an argument are nuts and I really find that to be mind bottling. For all intensive purposes, you minus well just take a grammar class if your going to continue to display such poor grammar skills.

For those who choose to discredit me based on my writing skills... I apologize for not taking the time to proof everything... I honestly wrote so much I didn't want to go back and read it all. Plus, writing 101 was not part of my universities pre-med requirements, nor a skill they required for residency. I also agree that had this been a formal document that was going to be handed in to be read by a superior of mine... I would have been embarrassed. It's not. Plus, if you can't understand what I wrote because the poor grammar... good luck being able to understand 99% of your pts during your residency...

Their are a few mistakes I made in my original posting, for that I apologize. As far as Temple being part of Penn, it is correct that it was PCPM. They work closely with UPenn in Philadelphia currently, and are the primary candidates for their programs. I believe at one point they had exclusive acceptance into the very well respected 4 year program at Presby- this may have changed.
Second, I am not saying DO education is inferior to MD education- as I'm sure many schools share teachers. I was just saying, respect-wise... if you are sharing teachers with a medical school that is ranked vs unranked ... some people might see that as a bonus.
Third, why am I posting in a podiatry section... because I see 4th years rotate through my hospital every month, asking the same questions. I personally think for Pod residencies it's more about "who you know" and your performance in clinics, rather than the grades you get the first two years, that actually matters. I am not offering a politically correct was of ranking... but just the way that MDs who know nothing about Podiatry would rank them. I am was simply saying how they would be ranked if they were ranked based on the scale the medical schools use. Podiatry schools are different, and it's not likely they will completely "merge" them with med schools...it's just something to think about.
Also, without data such as matching statistics, career placement, etc... it's really hard to "officially" rank the schools on a real scale... and no one is going to agree. I was just giving a way to rank them if they were help on medical school standards. Maybe dental school standards would be better, considering they are both specialized... but without US NEWS rankings, by med school is the only "real" comparison I could give them.
So I guess the best way would be to look at the medical programs that school offers, where they are ranked, and compare. Unfortunately, in the medical world... if no one has ever hear of your school... you don't get as much credit. And considering a lot of people have never even heard of podiatry school, doesn't help matters any. I think a lot of the other schools are really good- I just was giving a perspective that a lot of people outside of the podiatry world have.
I would love responses that include information, that has a source sited that gives credit to the other schools, where credit is due. Instead of people complaining about this, it would be nice to turn it into something where those attending these individual schools, show us why they are good schools. Let's put together some facts and figures for people applying... so that they can make an educated decision on which school is best for them, and maybe, MD's can learn a little more about the schools instead of going off of the ranking system that exists for us.
Why I care? I work with you all and think it's important to understand that we judge based on what we know (our ranking system). The best DPM I know, went to the school in Oakland, so obviously it's not all about where you went to school. I just know a lot of podiatrist complain about not being respected... which is why the ranking I made was based on how the outsides see's it. Discredit me all you want, but I prefer to be proved wrong. So please post only sited sources that can give those applying insite, and those on the outside, reasons to respect schools on more than just the med school they are attached to.

P.S. People replying saying, "this is a troll," or, "my school is the best," should be deleted. I would like this to turn into a post meant to educate people. Note: my post was not fact based, it was pretty much just what I hear from all my colleagues... and again based my ranking off of the official US NEWS and World Report rankings.

I find that although you SEEM to have a lot of insight, the fact that you claim to be a med student makes me somehow not really take you very seriously.

What are your true intentions? Why do you care?

Also, once you get out into the practicing world as a podiatrist, where you went to school and even where specifically you did your residency (the training is the important part, not NECESSARILY where you trained) may not matter at all. As long as you are ethical, trained and studied hard and have a good head on your shoulders you will do fine.

Once again, my biggest question to YOU, Caddypod, is why do you care?

I, for one, appreciate that you took the time to write what you did. Thanks.

I do want to say that I DO NOT think NYCPM is the worst school AT ALL. I really think it has a lot to offer, especially considering it probably has more connections than any other school. I would need more information about the issues with them being unable to work on the ankle, etc.

Students and residents in New York work under orthopedics departments to be trained in the ankle. The ankle training in NY vs any other state is the same.

There is a scope bill in the works currently in NY. This year it passed the senate, but did not reach a vote in the house before the session ended. This also happened the year prior. I expect the scope bill to pass in the next few years, thus not affecting me as I do not finish residency for a few years.