The other big question… how much revenue are you generating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podwho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Other than the big question of salary the number that better reflects how podiatrists are doing is revenue. It was briefly discussed in the other thread and better reflects this magical “potential” in podiatry that might not exist as a nurse or PA etc. So I’m just throwing it out there…

How much? What volume? What state are you in? Do you feel fairly compensated? Trending up or down? Are you happy?

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody truly knows these things unless they are the biz owner (or full partner)... or perhaps the hospital finance dept.

Hospital people on wRVU model can circle and dictate all of the procedures and codes they want... some of the coding is rejected as unbundling. Some might get changed by the coders - for better or worse. There is also much hospital FTE revenue that's difficult to quantify (can can't be compensated directly) from their tests ordered, refers generated, facility fees, GME monies from the residents/fellows being there... and the consults they see, etc. A basic chiropodist who just does wound/derm patients - but sees a good amount of them and sends tons of vasc and PT refers - can actually be significantly more valuable than a "bigtime surgeon" DPM who just sees a few pts, does injects, spends much time to do disability papers and sends out DME, and does a couple long Charcot-type or ER trauma cases per week.

PP employees can also try to circle/send whatever codes they want. The CPT codes may reject (their own errors or the billers' errors), the coding may get changed behind the scenes, it may or may not get challenged and re-submitted, they may get not get paid or it may not get collected. Any employ doc will only know if the owner is honest on that stuff. The employee will have no way to know what was actually collected, what overhead was, etc. Similarly to hospitals, large groups and supergroups will usually have ancillary services that gain them money from the doc referrals (surg center, custom DME shop, testing, path, other services like vasc or PT or various other docs they want the DPMs to feed) - yet, like the hospitals, they can't legally track and compensate those referrals to the employee directly.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No patient needs a toe amp at 2:00 am.
I made sure the ectopic and testicular torsion case behind me knew I was doing important work. The 5th toe is extremely important in midstance to toe off. I learned that in biomechanics class in podiatry school.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Other than the big question of salary the number that better reflects how podiatrists are doing is revenue. It was briefly discussed in the other thread and better reflects this magical “potential” in podiatry that might not exist as a nurse or PA etc. So I’m just throwing it out there…

How much? What volume? What state are you in? Do you feel fairly compensated? Trending up or down? Are you happy?

These are numbers I generated in 2019 working at a multi-specialty group as a podiatric surgeon in the musculoskeletal department seeing ~120 patients/week and performing 6-10 cases a week.
Physician extenders see post op´s allowing my schedule to stay open to wRVU generating visits. Figures are similar currently and prior to 2019.

My numbers are the first column, the PE is the second column, third column is the total Pod + PE. The PE is shared with another provider so their figures are 50%. Also included is ASC revenue generated for the clinic from my cases. DPM´s can produce large margins for clinics/hospital systems.

IMG_0039.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I made sure the ectopic and testicular torsion case behind me knew I was doing important work. The 5th toe is extremely important in midstance to toe off. I learned that in biomechanics class in podiatry school.

Untangling balls at 2am might just be worse than trimming nails

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
These are numbers I generated in 2019 working at a multi-specialty group as a podiatric surgeon in the musculoskeletal department seeing ~120 patients/week and performing 6-10 cases a week.
Physician extenders see post op´s allowing my schedule to stay open to wRVU generating visits. Figures are similar currently and prior to 2019.

My numbers are the first column, the PE is the second column, third column is the total Pod + PE. Also included is ASC revenue generated for the clinic from my cases. DPM´s can produce large margins for clinics/hospital systems.

View attachment 372946
These are great numbers. Congrats. What type of practice do you have?

These are great numbers. Congrats. What type of practice do you have?

My practice encompasses all F&A related issues from ingrown toenail’s and warts to RRA, TAR and trauma. Take call at two hospitals. No RFC or wound care and definitely no total toenail replacements. I refer Charcot needing surgery out.

My practice encompasses all F&A related issues from ingrown toenail’s and warts to RRA, TAR and trauma. Take call at two hospitals. No RFC or wound care and definitely no total toenail replacements. I refer Charcot needing surgery out.
Thanks for answering and sharing your numbers. It's good to see podiatrist that are doing comprehensive podiatry practice and doing well fiscally specially on this forum.

...I refer Charcot needing surgery out.
This is the way... cast/CROW them until they get their amp or let the local "heroes" do big surgery on trainwreck Charcot pts who have a fairly hopeless condition and poor health/healing.

...How in the world is (was) your staff overhead from that year only ~150k if you have extender/midlevel to see post-op and some stuff, though... most PA/NP and even some RNs and APRNs make that amount just by themself in salary + ben? $150k for me would only be about 3 basic (MA/front) employees w benefits. Staff is easily my biggest overhead chunk. Are (were) your midlevels/staff/schedulers shared with other surgeons/docs?

This is the way... cast/CROW them until they get their amp or let the local "heroes" do big surgery on trainwreck Charcot pts who have a fairly hopeless condition and poor health/healing.

...How in the world is (was) your staff overhead from that year only ~150k if you have extender/midlevel to see post-op and some stuff, though... most PA/NP and even some RNs and APRNs make that amount just by themself in salary + ben? $150k for me would only be about 3 basic (MA/front) employees w benefits. Staff is easily my biggest overhead chunk. Are (were) your midlevels/staff/schedulers shared with other surgeons/docs?

The staff costs appear to be non medical staff as the AHP has their own salary line item of $89k. Which begs the question, how do you find a PA for $89k unless they are considered part time and compensated as such?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

The PE numbers are 50%. They are shared with another provider.

It would be great if a hospital employed pod could chime in with something similar to what rollingstone pod posted if possible.

It would be great if a hospital employed pod could chime in with something similar to what rollingstone pod posted if possible.
Nobody has access that. You think the hospital wants us to know how much money we make them? At least a doc owned msgcould give you numbers

Reactions: 2 users