The Ophthalmology Knowledge Assessment Program (OKAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good gosh! Look man, I appreciate the advice but I definitely don't act like I know everything. That's why I'm asking for some advice here. What I do know is how I personally learn best and what my particular situation is in life right now. I have various reasons that I can't move anywhere to do a cush intern year. If I could have done one, I would have because the advice you're giving is the same advice I've heard. My situation is not the same as most residents', and it just doesn't fit for me. You could have just said "I still recommend not reading during your fourth year but if you're going to do it start on the BCSC." It would've saved you a lot of time. The only reason I've had to continually ask for a suggestion here is because instead of either answering my question or simply not posting you continue to interject unsolicited advice.

I might give the BCSC fundamentals book a shot since from what I could glean from that post you recommend primarily BCSC. But I got some advice from someone out here in the real world to try Kanski Clinical Ophthalmology so I might do that plus it sounds like billambeer has found it to be useful as well. Thanks billambeer for that information.

Just keep in mind, other than the information from the fundamentals section and the pharmacology section, you'll likely forget what you've read by the end of intern year. It clicks once you see the clinical stuff, and you retain more once you understand what you're looking for and why. But if you want to read during your fourth year, go right ahead. I'm currently cramming tons of ophthalmic knowledge for the OKAPs as a PGY-2, and I still do not regret doing nothing the last months of 4th year.

Back on the actual topic of OKAPs, are the images used on the OKAPs similar to the pictures in the BCSC books?

Members don't see this ad.

Good gosh! Look man, I appreciate the advice but I definitely don't act like I know everything. That's why I'm asking for some advice here. What I do know is how I personally learn best and what my particular situation is in life right now. I have various reasons that I can't move anywhere to do a cush intern year. If I could have done one, I would have because the advice you're giving is the same advice I've heard. My situation is not the same as most residents...

Please spare us the details of your "situation" so we can get back on topic. You're not the only person with responsibilities. The advice stands. 4th year is a time to relax s/p matching while intern year is a good time to get ahead, especially the last few months after STEP 3. This advice is not just for you Mr. ophthope. Most residents I speak to say they wish they had read more intern year because the volume of material is pretty intense. I own Kanski, it's a great atlas and a good choice, especially combined with a qbank

As a first year resident, all I used were the Chern review and question books and did fine every year. From day one, I had no intention of doing a fellowship, so I didn't really spend much time studying for the OKAPs. I still have never read the BCSC books straight through and use them more like a reference to look up individual topics as they come up.

I spent my internship playing outdoors and resting my brain. Best year of my life, and no way do I ever regret not opening a single ophthalmology book that year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please spare us the details of your "situation" so we can get back on topic. You're not the only person with responsibilities. The advice stands. 4th year is a time to relax s/p matching while intern year is a good time to get ahead, especially the last few months after STEP 3. This advice is not just for you Mr. ophthope. Most residents I speak to say they wish they had read more intern year because the volume of material is pretty intense. I own Kanski, it's a great atlas and a good choice, especially combined with a qbank

So just to clarify: if I study right now it is useless and I will retain nothing, and if I study four months from now in intern year it will be fruitful?

So just to clarify: if I study right now it is useless and I will retain nothing, and if I study four months from now in intern year it will be fruitful?

You are correct!

4th year of med school is the best. Enjoy it.
Trust me, your brain won't atrophy.

I expect to see a lack of professionalism on internet forums, but I would not mind seeing more cordiality from future colleagues, especially those training at the #1 program in the country. I do not spend enough time on this site to know if ophthope is a decent guy/gal, but his/her request seemed legitimate enough. Just because the majority of us would get close to nothing from studying 4th year doesn't mean we can make a blanket statement about its utility, and as this request had to do with OKAP studying (in a way), I dont think it was too far afield to be considered here. Even if he/she is a troll, I would like to think the majority of us are mature enough to avoid stooping to his/her level.

I will second what I have heard from just about everyone on these threads, cush TY years are fantastic, especially if you take step 3 really early. Since I have not been motivated enough to study for close to a year, and wont take the OKAPs until next year, Ill give you all an excuse to shout at me for not contributing meaningfully to the topic at hand.

Even if he/she is a troll, I would like to think the majority of us are mature enough to avoid stooping to his/her level.

I'm not a troll, check my other posts. My question was legitimate and I've tried to have metered responses. Through the vitriol directed towards me over that question I've gotten some useful advice so this hasn't been fruitless. It's just an internet forum so if someone else can find it useful that's all that matters anyway.

So to sum up what I've gathered if you are attempting to take on the guaranteed by everyone to be impossible and utterly useless task of reading a little a bit during your fourth year even though Thor himself has issued a decree that none shall work during fourth year lest they die try either:

Kanski: Clinical Ophthalmology
or
BCSC fundamentals (book 2)

I'm not a troll, check my other posts. My question was legitimate and I've tried to have metered responses. Through the vitriol directed towards me over that question I've gotten some useful advice so this hasn't been fruitless. It's just an internet forum so if someone else can find it useful that's all that matters anyway.

So to sum up what I've gathered if you are attempting to take on the guaranteed by everyone to be impossible and utterly useless task of reading a little a bit during your fourth year even though Thor himself has issued a decree that none shall work during fourth year lest they die try either:

Kanski: Clinical Ophthalmology
or
BCSC fundamentals (book 2)

It is not that reading will be utterly useless. It will be inefficient until you start clinicals and can apply the knowledge.

The advice you have gotten have come from residents or attendings. The training is rigorous and time consuming, but you will have plenty of time to read. Believe me, you will wish for the free time you had during your fourth year. So, my advice is to do anything non-medical - take up a new hobby, travel (it can be locally), relax, and enjoy the time off.

I second your opinion on studying in the PGY 1 year. I've heard a lot of gunner residents saying they did some prep toward the end and that it helped a lot in PGY 2.

I do have to say though, I've started to read Kanski (I'm MSIV) and it has given me some new insights I probably wouldn't have had. I do think I'll probably forget all of it as you suggest, but it has augmented some of my current coursework and I would say it has been a net benefit. Of course, I'm only on lids (the first section) and it seems like there is a high degree of systemic correlates. maybe by the time I get to orbit or something it won't seem as relevant.

I feel like you are living my life. I'm also reading Kanski and on lids. It is giving me insight, but ultimately I think my retention will be next to none.

Just wondering, do most programs generally provide their residents with a set of BCSC books? Or are most residents expected to purchase their own sets?

Thanks in advance!

Most programs will give you set of the BCSC books when you start your first year of ophthalmology residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who matched into ophtho last year and have done 1/2 of your intern year, have you guys had time to read up on ophtho during your intern year? If so, what book/s have you used? Wills Manual and Practical Ophthalmology? Kanski's Clinical Ophthalmology?

Thanks!

Even though that it sounded like that one guy in this thread was going to murder me for it, I read some of Kanski's during fourth year. I feel like it was pretty good. So far in intern year I've read a few pages in BCSC book 2 but basically nothing. My prelim medicine year is a busy one, so that might have been substantially different if I was in a TY.

People on here said that it was useless to read but I disagree. Much less of it sticks if you aren't seeing patients with eye problems around the time you're reading it, but plenty of it seems to stay learned. If you had to see patients to learn by reading then M1 and M2 year were completely useless, and most people agree that isn't true.

I recommended early in this convo to read during intern year and chill out during 4th year. I'm halfway through PGY-2 year and that advice is still the best I can offer. You will never have a time like 4th year post-match again during residency so enjoy it, Euro-trip, Spend time with family, whatever. I read all of Kanski during intern year and came into first year well prepared. The learning curve is still steep, but much more manageable with a solid base.

Once you start first year of ophtho you have way less time and it's best to only use 1-2 resources. The exhaustive list at the beginning of this convo is a great summary but pretty impractical. Most of my co-residents read BCSC, Friedman, and subscribe to ophthoquestions. That combo and taking part in clinic, didactics and workshops will prepare you fully for Okaps.

I agree with ophthope...Though I haven't had much of a chance most of what I do read sticks. Also in a busy IM program.

I enjoy the chances I get to read, because it reminds me that in 5 months I'll be doing what I really want to be doing.

I agree with ophthope...Though I haven't had much of a chance most of what I do read sticks. Also in a busy IM program.
I enjoy the chances I get to read, because it reminds me that in 5 months I'll be doing what I really want to be doing.

Same here. I've had some good attendings that instead of giving me 'pimp topics' over indications for BiV pacing or vent settings for ARDS, they let me research something about ocular findings in various autoimmune or infectious processes we see on the floor/unit.

I have had ONE attending ask me to look up something ophtho related. It was a GI doc, and it was refreshing.

Unfortunately, most people just ask me what I'm doing and where I'm going and leave it at that.

Most IM people appear to be afraid of eyes :)

However, while on my ER rotation this year I diagnosed a case of Charles Bonnet Syndrome! They were getting ready to call psych for her and I recalled in the depths of my mind this weird condition I learned of from a famous dude in neuro-opth...

I was like "does she see wall paper like patterns?" Sure enough she was seeing leaves, and tiles all over the walls and floors and not just cartoon characters !

I didn't feel like starting a new thread and thought I would post here.

Is everything written in BCSC Fundamentals book repeated in the other books of the series? Or are there little details that book 2 alone provides?

I didn't feel like starting a new thread and thought I would post here.

Is everything written in BCSC Fundamentals book repeated in the other books of the series? Or are there little details that book 2 alone provides?

Bump

Book 2 provides major anatomical details in the first 1/3 then goes way off topic into genetics and biochem before returning to important topics in pharm. The first 1/3 of the book is very high yield for OKAPS and should be put to memory. The genetics/biochem sections can be skipped, and the pharm section is a good review, but most of the high yield glaucoma drugs are repeated at nauseum in the glaucoma book. Book 2 is pretty overwhelming to read as a medical student/intern so I would probably recommend starting with an atlas like Kanski or reading another book in the BCSC.

Reactions: 1 user
Great review of resources. Kanski should be heavily utilized/relied upon. My $0.02 .

Some have addressed the OKAP exam from different angles (such as its importance, etc) on SDN, but I haven't seen enough discussion on how to approach it seriously. I am writing this as a starting place for my future residency (I matched for 2014). If you feel like contributing, please by all means speak up. I need experienced input.

General areas of interest are: timing, Qbanks, texts. After addressing these, I have other things to say about the test from my research.

Executive Summary:
1. I will read 10 BCSC sections, deferring Neuro and Optics to Kline-Bajandas and Hunter respectively, by Feb 28. I will study an average of 20 pg/day until March at which time I will switch to review texts and Qbanks only; however before then I will try to incorporate other texts as I am able.
2. Besides BCSC texts I will use Tamesis, Friedman, and Melendez Audio throughout the year as place fillers.
3. I will take all BCSC (~600), Tamesis (~3000), and Provision (~550) Qs; totaling 4150 Qs. Friedman has questions that I will take as needed.
4. Texts I will definitely use: BCSC, Tamesis, Friedman, Hunter, Kline-Bajandas, and Provision.
5. Texts I may use: Melendez Buzzwords and Kanski Atlas.
6. Texts I will not likely use: Lamkin, Chern/Wright/Saidel, Eagle.

*TIMING*

First, the exam can take place anywhere from the end of March to the beginning of April. Planning, therefore, should be weighted to the first half of the PGY 2 year in order to be ready. I've read that PGY 4 OKAP performance best correlates to certification outcomes, so it's possible that some will tend to deemphasize PGY 2 study.

A disproportionate number of residents, professional instructors and others claim in almost every place I've looked that studying the Basic and Clinical Sciences Course (BCSC) is the best preparation for the OKAP. Timing stems from completing the 12 book series.

The following is taken from AAO's website for 2012-2013 as a way to study the BCSC. It seems nice. It doesn't include the Update on General Medicine section (Section 1) and I've heard from some that one should not spend time on Section 1 for the PGY 2 year exam because of intern year exposure.

AAO claims following this schedule will require you to cover 120 pages/week, but by my math it's more like 140-150. That seems reasonable as some weeks will be more productive and others less (like the beginning of PGY 2). They also claim the most high-yield books are scheduled for earlier in the year with weight given to junior residents' needs.

July 15 - Aug. 4: Fundamentals and Principles of Ophthalmology (397 pages, 20 pg/day)
Aug. 5 - 18: Lens and Cataract (231 pages, 18 pg/day)
Aug. 19 - Sept. 1: Glaucoma (220 pages, 17 pg/day)
Sept. 2 - 22: Retina and Vitreous (371 pages, 19 pg/day)
Sept. 23 - Oct. 13: External Disease and Cornea (445 pages, 22 pg/day)
Oct. 14 - 27: Orbit, Eyelids, and Lacrimal System (278 pages, 21 pg/day)
Oct. 28 - Nov. 17: Ophthalmic Pathology and Intraocular Tumors (352 pages, 18 pg/day)
Nov. 18 - Dec. 22: Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (418 pages) and Refractive Surgery (217 pages).. total: 635 pages, 19 pg/day
Dec. 23 - Jan. 1: Break for the holidays
Jan. 2 - 19: BCSC - Intraocular Inflammation and Uveitis (319 pages, 19 pg/day)
Jan. 20 - Feb. 9: Neuro-Ophthalmology (369 pages, 19 pg/day), see Kline (below) as alternative
Feb. 10 - 28: Clinical Optics (323 pages, 40 pg/day), see Hunter (below) as alternative
Feb. 28 - March 30: Tamesis, Kanski Atlas, Melendez Buzzwords, Provision Series (more on these in the Text section)

Throughout the year, in "free time": Friedman, Tamesis, Melendez Audio (more on these in the Text section)

Strategy summary: I plan to study 1 hour daily, no matter what. Given that I will be studying for the 2015 OKAP, I will probably have to recount, as the above is for 2012-2013 and BCSC is updated every year. It looks like if I read 20 pages/day, I'll be safe. Then I plan to mix in those texts noted in the "Throughout the year" section. I'm not sure how that will work because BCSC study seems burdensome as such. I'll have to play that one by ear. Maybe on call, after BCSC has been covered, I can go in that direction. I've heard that many consult the pathology section of BCSC during their review in the 3-4 weeks before the end of March.

*QBANKS*

I've encountered a number of resources, and from those some strategies have developed. Before I discuss strategies, I'll address available resources:

1. BCSC Qs: The first resource and what seems to be the most popular is to use the Qs in the back of the BCSC texts. I've read that some will only consult those in the Feb/March review. This seems like a big risk and myopic given the length to which book companies are making resources. I've look at the 2011-2012 BCSC texts and found that they only have 50 or so Qs per book (average length being 400 or so pages per book). 50 Qs in 12 books (600 total) seems insufficient alone.

2. Tamesis, Lamkin, Hunter: Apparently the review texts (see texts) have questions near their indices. Because I don't own any and the Amazon previews are limited, it's hard to say with all of them. The Tamesis and Lamkin texts only contain questions; their purpose is to serve as a paper Qbank. Tamesis' text claims to have 3,000 Qs. I can't find similar numbers for Lamkin. Hunter's last minute optics text is question-based, but it's Socratic and not a true test of knowledge. I've read from some that the Lamkin (MEEI) text is too esoteric for OKAP. Tamesis seems to have a better reputation. Both address general ophthalmology topics concordant with BCSC sections. Maybe someone can give some input here. Hunter seems like a no-brainer because optics itself is important. Kanski's review atlas seems like an obvious choice as well but maybe less comprehensive. It is a book full of picture quizzes that are often used in the OKAP.

3. Ophthoquestions: I have found some electronic Qbanks. The first I found was ophthoquestions.com. It seems like a nice way to study. You can sample their product before purchase (prices are like USMLE World, with same subscription architecture of 6 months, 12, etc). They claim to have 3116 questions but you cannot reset them after use. There is also a non-profit at ophthodeck.com that produces a free Qbank. It is severely limited, has a shoddy interface (you can see the correct answer below the question), and the quality seems suspect.

4. Provision: The AAO, in its ONE Network, has two Qbanks under the name Provision. Currently they are selling two services: Provision Series 5 and Provision: Preferred Responses in Opthalmology: Series 4. The Provision Series 5 is sold out, which probably means residents are using the print version; it must be popular. Both Series 4 and 5 have online and print versions with correspondent price changes (higher prices for print + online, lower for print only, etc). I don't have any informed opinions about this since I can't find many mention of it in internet forums. Given that it's popular (assumed from supply status), maybe getting the online version would be a good idea, with the optional print version. I've read from one blog that Provision questions tend to be easier than OKAP Qs.

Strategy summary: I plan to take the BCSC quiz questions after each book (~600 Qs) and the 3000 Tamesis Qs throughout the year, and then the Provision Qs in Feb/March review. Hunter seems like a reasonable set of optics Qs and a good substitute for BCSC's section. Provision 5 contains 550 Qs and Provision 4 contains 450. Assuming the 2014-2015 edition will have 550 I will have gone through 4150 Qs before my PGY 2 OKAP. Not knowing what the Provision print version looks like or how it differs from the online (is it a supplement?), this may change with experience. I'm leaning to Tamesis given Lamkin's poor reputation. ophthoquestions.com seems like an unnecessary purchase, but maybe it's something one could take advantage of in the Feb/March review because of its month-to-month pricing. Kanski's Atlas will be a big temptation but I think I'll place it in the ophthoquestions.com category because of how much exposure I will be getting in other places.

*TEXTS*

I will try to reference my study strategy into these texts, but the main purpose here is to discuss these texts' reputations and general purpose.

1. BCSC series (renewed every year)
- Seems to be the consensus primary study text. Most people on the web think it can be finished by Feb/end of Jan. I plan to read all 10 sections, exempting the Optics section in deference to Hunter (optics) as I've heard this is all one needs and it's shorter than BCSC. I will probably skim General Updates to be safe.

2. Chern/Wright: Ophthalmology Review Manual (last ed: 2011)
- This seems like a nice book. The latest edition has Saidel, rather than Wright, as coeditor. The amazon reviews are generally positive, though one notes weaknesses in neuro and optics. The book itself looks like First Aid in its structure, images, etc. I can't say that I would open it until Feb/end of Jan (if I get it at all) because I plan to occupy myself with Friedman, Tamesis, and others who are tried and have many editions in under their belts.

3. Chern/Wright: Review Questions in Ophthalmology (last ed: 2005)
- I heard about this book on this forum from an attending. It looks like a nice compliment to Friedman or other review texts. The only issue I see is that its last edition is almost 10 years old. Tamesis is only a year younger, so it could be that this is how things are these days anyway.

3. Tamesis: Ophthalmology Board Review (last ed: 2006)
- Of all of the review texts, as with BCSC, Tamesis seems like an essential and a consensus. It's a Qbank book with short Qs and short answers. I found these helpful in medical school and I suppose it would be good in ophthalmology as well. I like that these texts tend to address memorize-only things (like eponyms).

4. Lamkin: MEEI Review Manual for Ophthalmology (last ed: 2011)
- Rob Melendez, author of a famous audio review, has said that this is too detailed and overwhelming as it's not representative of OKAP structure or style. I have found some who swear by the book. Because of the number of texts available, I might hold off on purchasing as there will be considerable overlap with other "proven books," like Tamesis and Friedman.

5. Hunter: Last Minute Optics (last ed: 2011)
- I've read that most of what one needs in optics for OKAP is in this text. The editorialist who made this statement also suggested that the optics text in BCSC is too big/technical to read like a study book and more suited for reference. Therefore I will read this in the Feb 10-28 interval, in place of the BCSC section.

6. Eagle: Eye Pathology: Atlas and Basic Text (last ed: 2011)
- I saw this mentioned in one blog. In my admittedly irresponsible scanning of the text I found it too wordy and too thorough. Perhaps from the BCSC text pathology I'll decide if I need this in my review. Until then I'm counting it out.

7. Friedman: Review of Ophthalmology (last ed: 2012)
- This is the standard issue, bread and butter of many programs. It looks like Goljan in its structure and language (short and bulleted with colored images). I've also read that it is a good companion throughout the day for the "free" moments (much like Tamesis). Perhaps one has to decide whether the Chern/Wright/Saidel text is better than Friedman, or visa versa, and pick one over the other. From my superficial study this looks a little more in-depth and more appropriate for the needs of a resident. It also has quiz questions for each chapter which is not found in Chern/Wright/Saidel.

8. Kline and Bajandas: Neuro-ophthalmology Review Manual (last ed: 2007)
- I've read that the neuro-ophthalmology section of BCSC is poorly written and that this is a good replacement. Of course this opinion was written in 2010, so perhaps things have changed. I'm going to purchase the whole BCSC series so maybe I'll try to find the old BCSC (from 2010) and compare it with the one from which I will study (2014-2015) before getting too dedicated.

9. Melendez: Ophthalmology Buzzwords (edition date unknown)
- One source says this is good for "passive learners." Sometimes that is my description. I can't say that I would want to stretch myself this much, but it may be a good resource for others. I plan to not purchase this in deference to Tamesis, but after finishing it (if that happens), I'll consider it.

10. Kanski: Test Yourself Atlas in Ophthalmology (last ed: 2008)
- An image review text with very few words. It has a good reputation for preparing residents to see images and think of diagnosis with very little information. This might be more appropriate for end of study, during the 3-4 weeks before the OKAP. I do plan to purchase it as I believe that at a certain point I'm only going to want to look at books rather than read them thoroughly.

11. Kanski: Clinical Ophthalmology (last ed 2011)
-I'm getting a lot of PMs suggesting that this should be added as well. It is supposedly far and away the best introductory/intermediate level text. Quoting from one correspondent: "It takes about 3 months to get through at 10 pages/day, but it has great pictures that SHOW what things are and text that EXPLAINS what things are in an easy to understand and easy to remember fashion, unlike many of the other sources you listed. I found it much easier to go through the BCSC having read Kanski once, and much less painful starting residency knowing many of the terms and fundamental clinical concepts." I've started to read it in MSIV and I really like it. I've almost finished the lids section. While I don't think I'll retain everything, because it's really thorough, I like the introductory language.

OTHER NOTES

1. OKAP/Step1/WQE predictions research: The journal Ophthalmology has published several studies on resident performance in the Written Qualification Exam (WQE) and its relationship to OKAP and USMLE Step 1. WQE is the 250 Q, written exam given to residents by the American Board of Ophthalmology that determines, in part, their eligibility for the Oral Examination pursuant to receiving certification. I'll summarize Ophthalmology's findings: OKAP performance correlates significantly with WQE, but Step 1 does not correlate significantly with either OKAP or WQE.
2. The subject areas covered in the OKAP differ from topics in the BCSC and differ from those in WQE. There are 11 areas covered in the OKAP: Medicine; Fundamentals and Principles of Ophthalmology; Optics, Refraction, and Contact Lenses; Ophthalmic Pathology in Intraocular Tumors; Neuro-ophthalmology; Peds Ophthalmology and Strabismus; Orbit, Eyelids, and Lacrimal System; Cornea, Lens, and External Disease; IO Inflamation and Uveitis; Glaucoma; and Retina and Vitreous.

**Resources**
#. AAO schedule: OKAPs Reading Schedule
#. Good lecture-based review: Ophthalmology Residency Program | New York Eye & Ear
#. One AAO representative on OKAP prep: OKAP Resources
#. Melendez's blog: http://eyepearls.medrounds.org/2010/02/okap-preparation-pearls.html and http://eyepearls.medrounds.org/2010/02/golden-pearls-for-okap-exam.html
#. OKAP/WQE ref: A multicenter analysis of the ophthalmic knowledge assessment program and American Board of Ophthalmology written qualifying examination performance. - PubMed - NCBI and A comparative study of resident performance on standardized training examinations and the american board of ophthalmology written examination. - PubMed - NCBI

Hey,
Great info for new residents!
Although it is 6 years old, I think you graduated and finished/about to finish your fellowship.
Can you please update us on what happened and your experience with studying?
Thanks