The OFFICIAL UST- FMS CLASS OF 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
By the way, are there any Thomasians lurking in here who are going for the 2008 Match? Send me a message...

ustmd2006 :D

Members don't see this ad.

does anybody have the number for the admissions office? Thanks

^
406-1611 loc 8239
Direct line: 741-5314

Hentaisocrnmdph... It's possible pa rin pala that we won't be classmates :( coz my friend said that the class sched in the receipt is not the final class sched, parang it's a generic sched. We will know our real sched during orientation. Good luck sa boards :) lapit na nun :p

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm retaking my NMAT this december.. incoming 4th year pharmacy student hoping to get into UST FMS by SY 2008-2009 am i too late? pag mag reretake ba ako ng nmat do i still need to submit my old nmat grades or do i submit the new one which i think won't be available till january..

^
406-1611 loc 8239
Direct line: 741-5314

Hentaisocrnmdph... It's possible pa rin pala that we won't be classmates :( coz my friend said that the class sched in the receipt is not the final class sched, parang it's a generic sched. We will know our real sched during orientation. Good luck sa boards :) lapit na nun :p

Thanks and Thanks- may mga books ka na ba for Med? Sobrang excited na ako. Sana magkaklase tayo

i'm retaking my NMAT this december.. incoming 4th year pharmacy student hoping to get into UST FMS by SY 2008-2009 am i too late? pag mag reretake ba ako ng nmat do i still need to submit my old nmat grades or do i submit the new one which i think won't be available till january..

you're not yet late. majority of the students who'll apply for the s/y 2008-09 are mostly december 2007 nmat takers.

if you will retake the exam, what matters will be the exam where you got the higher percentile. so say you have higher result this december, that would be the result that will be credited. in case your december result is lower than your previous one, your first nmat result will be the one credited. nothing to lose. of course, you submit the one with the higher percentile. :D

By the way, are there any Thomasians lurking in here who are going for the 2008 Match? Send me a message...

ustmd2006 :D

i am. :)

batch 06 din ako..

God bless to our batchmates who'll be taking the local licensure exams on aug 4-5, 11-12. grabe! 2 months to go.. see you at uste lib.. hehe!

hentaisocrnmdph: I still don't have books :DActually it's the last thing on my mind right now. I'm trying to make the most of the last few days of vacation before I hit the books again :p. I think it would be better to wait for the orientation and classes to start before we "hoard" books. Med books are really expensive and I want to buy books that I'm actually going to read instead of just "collecting" them. I learned this the hard way in college.

bleudsky and ustmd2006: Can we take electives outside of ust? like out of the country? How and when do we go about this? Would this help if I have plans of taking residency abroad? Sorry for bombarding you guys with a lot of questions...:D Thanks:cool:

i am. :)

batch 06 din ako..

God bless to our batchmates who'll be taking the local licensure exams on aug 4-5, 11-12. grabe! 2 months to go.. see you at uste lib.. hehe!

Hey Bleudsky! Finally, another UST grad on this forum...and my batchmate nonetheless!

That's right...ang bilis ng panahon...it's our turn for the boards. Hope PBL 100 works...afterall, our original goal with that project was to have 100% passing rate for our batch! Regardless of whether or not anyone is actually using the actual CD to review, I pray for everyone's success.

Unfortunately, I won't be taking the Philippine boards. Already back in the U.S. and preparing for the USMLEs. Anyway, what are you're plans Bleudsky?

:D

bleudsky and ustmd2006: Can we take electives outside of ust? like out of the country? How and when do we go about this? Would this help if I have plans of taking residency abroad? Sorry for bombarding you guys with a lot of questions...:D Thanks:cool:

Great question! And one that I should have asked when I was going through med school. The answer is YES! This is especially important (I now realize!) if you're planning to take up residency here in the U.S. They prefer those with U.S. clinical experience. Now, with regards to the details, I don't know too much about it. But I read some stuff on the UST website...go to the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery link and then to the Clinical Clerkships links. Somewhere on there it states the requires rotations at U.S.T. and then the maximum amount of time you can spend on outside electives. I think it overviews the process too (contacting the outside program, having some sort of agreement between them and U.S.T., something to that effect). I'm sure this is gonna cost money too, so you have to consider that as well. Just read up on it and then you can also ask the Dean's office for more details (Dr. Belmonte would probably be the best one to answer your questions as he is the clerkship coordinator...unless it's someone else now).

I suggest you join AMSA (Asian Medical Students Association....I think) as early as first year. This is the group that's involved with a lot of community service and is the one in charge of sending students outside of the country (foreign exchange type of thing) either for conferences or clerkship electives. So they can give you more info with that regard as well. I personally wasn't in AMSA, but our batch's president was a good friend of mine and she was telling me how she had planned on going to the U.S. for an elective and I know it had something to do with AMSA.

Well, hope that helps somehow. :D

you have the option to take electives outside of USTH. there are steps on how to do it. HOWEVER you have to consider the time UST will allow you to take your electives outside since 95% of the rotations should be (taken) AT USTH. also you have to make sure the office of clinical programs will credit your outside rotation/s, or else you have to take whatever rotation/s you missed.

during our time, we only had 2 weeks of elective rotations. almost all outside rotations require foreign graduates a minimum stay of 4 weeks given a fixed amount. most of us saw it IMPRACTICAL considering the time, amount, and stress from travelling. though i know someone who went to japan during our clerkship (can't remember how long he was there).

i think your outside rotation helps. it gives u a plus factor from the rest.

like my batchmate said, it will be advantageous for you if you join AMSA (asian med students assoc) on your 2nd sem of 1st yr (sorry, freshmen can't join any org/frat/sor on the 1st sem). the organization is affiliated with IFMSA (international federation of medical students assoc) which organizes exchanges with medical students from other countries. they also provide info regarding outside rotations. i was with AMSA-UST for 2 years. :)

niweys, hope this could help you.

Hey Bleudsky! Finally, another UST grad on this forum...and my batchmate nonetheless!

That's right...ang bilis ng panahon...it's our turn for the boards. Hope PBL 100 works...afterall, our original goal with that project was to have 100% passing rate for our batch! Regardless of whether or not anyone is actually using the actual CD to review, I pray for everyone's success.

Unfortunately, I won't be taking the Philippine boards. Already back in the U.S. and preparing for the USMLEs. Anyway, what are you're plans Bleudsky?

:D

psst groupmate! :p

please pray that our batch will aim higher on aug. during the previous 2 board exams (aug 06 & feb 07), PBL has already proven its worth. hehe! haven't heard anything from that supposed "cd" project.

you have the option to take electives outside of USTH. there are steps on how to do it. HOWEVER you have to consider the time UST will allow you to take your electives outside since 95% of the rotations should be (taken) AT USTH. also you have to make sure the office of clinical programs will credit your outside rotation/s, or else you have to take whatever rotation/s you missed. during our time, we only had 2 weeks of elective rotations. almost all outside rotations require foreign graduates a minimum stay of 4 weeks given a fixed amount. most of us saw it IMPRACTICAL considering the time, amount, and stress from travelling. though i know someone who went to japan during our clerkship (can't remember how long he was there).

As far as I know, my friend is right about this...However, look into this carefully. This is from the U.S.T. website. I don't know if the policies have changed, but as I understand, you can actually do more rotations outside of U.S.T.

3.5UST Faculty of Medicine and Surgery Clinical Programs Office also allows UST students to take Clerkship rotations outside the Philippines.

CLERKSHIP ROTATIONS THAT MAY BE TAKEN IN FOREIGN MEDICAL SCHOOLS:

Electives: 12 weeks-six (6) services for 2 weeks each
Anesthesia
Dermatology
Family Medicine
Infectious Diseases
Laboratory Medicine
Legal Medicine
Neurology
Ophthalmology
Otorhinolaryngology
Radiology
Rehabilitation Medicine

CLERKSHIP ROTATIONS THAT NEED TO BE TAKEN IN THE UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS FACULTY OF MEDICINE AND SURGERY, MANILA, PHILIPPINES:

Medicine8 weeksSurgery8 weeksPediatrics8 weeksObstetrics/Gynecology (including Fabella)8 weeksCommunity Medicine4 weeks

But there will be advantages and disadvantages to either one. First, U.S. rotations are a definite plus as this assures the U.S. programs that you have been adequately exposed to medicine as practiced in the U.S. That will give them more confidence in taking you in as a resident. However, like I said, there will be a cost to all of this. There will be processing fees, others require a tuition fee, malparactice insurance, your housing, food and transportation while you're here, etc. etc. etc.

A disadvantage would be the fact that although listed as "electives," some of the U.S.T. rotations are actually more of a "core" rotation in the sense that everybody goes through it (we're not given a choice). These include: Dermatology, Infectious Diseases, Legal Medicine, Neurology, Ophthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology, Radiology and Rehabilitation Medicine (the latter two required in our batch, but I think they've taken that away). Had I know these were "electives" and if they truly were "electives," I personally would not have gone through some of these rotations (just a personal interest in other rotations, like Laboratory Med, which I didn't get to do!). Getting to the disadvantage part...at the end of your clerkship, there is the "dreaded" oral revalida. During this exam, you pull out a case from ANY of the U.S.T. departments, including these so-called "electives." So if you didn't go through say Dermatology at U.S.T., you'd have trouble come revalida time. But hey, that's a choice you have to make. Just something to keep in mind.

Now, if you choose to do a rotation outside of the country for your "true" elective, which is one month (in our case 2 weeks, like my friend said!), that would be okay too. You just have to set everything up early...like at the end of your third year before you even start clerkship.

Anyway, hope that helps. Any other questions, just let me know. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
psst groupmate! :p

please pray that our batch will aim higher on aug. during the previous 2 board exams (aug 06 & feb 07), PBL has already proven its worth. hehe! haven't heard anything from that supposed "cd" project.

Hahaha! Who would have thought...not only are you my batchmate, you were my classmate all through our first three years...my groupmate in pretty much all of the projects (since our last names are next to each other!)...and my groupmate during clerkship (again, thanks to the alphabet!)...Small world...even on the web!

By the way, what's the news with the Feb '07 exams? I know we did well with Aug '06, with #1, 2... and half of the rest of the top 20 from U.S.T. (PBL, nonetheless!), and with a decent overall passing rate.

Good luck with the boards. Galingan niyo! :D St. Thomas Aquinas...pray for us!!!

Getting to the disadvantage part...at the end of your clerkship, there is the "dreaded" oral revalida. During this exam, you pull out a case from ANY of the U.S.T. departments, including these so-called "electives." So if you didn't go through say Dermatology at U.S.T., you'd have trouble come revalida time. But hey, that's a choice you have to make.

i completely agree. u never know what case you will pick/defend during the 2nd part of your oral revalida (clinicals), except for those rotations you haven't been through yet by march.

Hahaha! Who would have thought...not only are you my batchmate, you were my classmate all through our first three years...my groupmate in pretty much all of the projects (since our last names are next to each other!)...and my groupmate during clerkship (again, thanks to the alphabet!)...Small world...even on the web!

By the way, what's the news with the Feb '07 exams? I know we did well with Aug '06, with #1, 2... and half of the rest of the top 20 from U.S.T. (PBL, nonetheless!), and with a decent overall passing rate.

Good luck with the boards. Galingan niyo! :D St. Thomas Aquinas...pray for us!!!

feb 07 boards - dlsu aced it, followed by a thomasian.. as for the passing rate of the entire faculty, i have no idea but most of the mid year interns i've worked with (at MaDocs who were also thomasians) passed on their first take. hehe! dapat siguro ndi nila linait-lait ang PBL nun.. hehe!

wish us luck. pagdasal nyo kami dyan sa US..

Do freshies have to attend the mass for the opening of classes?:)

Do freshies have to attend the mass for the opening of classes?:)

i think we don't have to.... they don't require everyone to attend the first university mass for the schoolyear.... but it won't hurt if we do :)

Anyone here attending the mass tom?:D

So- parang graduation yung nangyari kanina sa Opening Ceremony- the teachers looked so nice meeting the school year in toga, the ROTC paved the red carpet for the march of the priests and colors as they enter, okay ang chorale at hindi banda ang tumugtog- orchestra... all these ended with the chorale singing gloriously ALELUIA- ccccooooooooollllllllll. Pasensya na, overwhelming that mass... culturally, it works

Naka green polo shirt lang ako and maong, so mukhang okay lang naman- wala naman masyadong nangyari

Announcements
- the recommended lab gowns are already available in the section of gross anatomy. just notify the department in ordering the lab gowns (and the dissection kit according to Dr. Gonzaga)

- department of physiology is requiring us for a passport id picture in white background and black plate (medyo incomplete yung nakuha ko, check nyo na lang)

- available book list in the admissions department

- pharmedy- my number is 09279943780, ano number mo?

(marami pang iba, hindi ko lang dala yung listahan ko)

To those who haven't had their ID pic taken. Last day is tom. Please wear your uniform and bring the receipt they issued to you during enrolment. I heard this from the lady in the ID pic room. They're open 8:15 am onwards. Have your ID pics taken at the Tan Yan Kee Building.

Hentaiso... sayang :( I wasn't able to read your reply earlier. I was late for the mass so I stayed outside. I was able to hear part of the homily though. Wow... how did you get all of those info? I went to the med building but I didn't see any announcements. The lady (I think kristine yung name nya you said) said just attend the orientation tom at eight and they'll tell us everything there.

hello, section B pala ako. And I haven't had my picture taken yet, next week na lang siguro.

yohoooo! hehe, seems like nobody's been here since school starts.

life's just like that in med especially when you're freshman... very busy, still adjusting with the new things. good luck with the subjects, i bet you're very busy with physio and biochem. it's just hard that these subjects fall on the same day.

whoa!!

i'm surprised to learn that there are 130+ 1st year students per session. they are doing their biochem lec at rm 404 instead of 218, and that some students (from 1 section) were standing during a session at ana projection room.

> ROOM FOR RENT
>
1 LARGE ROOM ideal for 2 to
> 3 persons (3.10m x 3.50m), NEWLY
> RENOVATED
>
>
> No curfew; Own keys to main door and
> bedroom; No landlord on site
>
>
>
> Includes: Hot shower, new
> refrigerator, electricity, water, big
> sala, kitchen, dining room, bathroom,
> laundry area
>
> Location: 20 Mapagmahal Street;
> near GMA, ABS-CBN, EDSA, Kamias and
> East Avenue; Quiet location, easy
> access to public transportation, and
> convenient stores
>
> P6,800.00/month; one-month deposit
> required
>
contact EVA at [email protected] or NIKOS at 0915-786-2536

hi! i have old classmates and dear friends ( i am UST nursing, batch 2007) that is medicine batch 2011. i super commend you all and i am also super inggit.

i hope you are enjoying the fountain in the quaricentennial park ( the old colayco park and coop!) hahaha try "walking throught it" sometime. hehe i did. hehehe...

anyway, i am in the states now, but i want to go back in 2009 to start med school in dear UST. i will be 24 by then. i just want to ask any of you if you think that is too old. hehe thanks

> ROOM FOR RENT
>
1 LARGE ROOM ideal for 2 to
> 3 persons (3.10m x 3.50m), NEWLY
> RENOVATED

> P6,800.00/month; one-month deposit
> required

Hahaha....you got to love those Manila prices. A person could rent an entire house for that price at a provincial medical school.

It's nice to attend the "Big" school in Manila but there are real disadvantages which few seem to take into account. A student can attend a famous school and share a 100 sq foot room for four years with two other people or you could be living in a house at a small school with your own private shower for the same price.

Make your choices carefully.

how come no one's bothered to ask about entrance exam at UST:scared:? how come no one's concerned about passing this test:eek:? last time i heard...ust requires NMAT and entrance exam before considered for there med program. yet, the only questions i came across regarding this matter on this thread has been about the NMAT.

is it just me...or is the entrance exam at UST not even worth worrying over:laugh:?

okay...das all. just making an acute observation...:hardy:

how come no one's bothered to ask about entrance exam at UST:scared:? how come no one's concerned about passing this test:eek:? last time i heard...ust requires NMAT and entrance exam before considered for there med program. yet, the only questions i came across regarding this matter on this thread has been about the NMAT.

is it just me...or is the entrance exam at UST not even worth worrying over:laugh:?

okay...das all. just making an acute observation...:hardy:
There were no entrance exams..or interviews.. :thumbup: :hardy:

There were no entrance exams..or interviews.. :thumbup: :hardy:

...just visited UST website and couldn't help come across the following EVERYTIME i'm there: "...US MCAT scores in lieu of UST Entrance Examination; MCAT however must not have been taken earlier than two (2) years prior to application":D.

and THIS quote just very much guarantees the contrary to what you just said:idea::
  1. Entrance exam will include values and aptitude for the innovative curriculum.
  2. Entrance exam and interview are essential parameters for admission.
don't mean to rain down on some of y'alls parade but i think the next few threads should be about this ENTRANCE EXAM instead of that NMAT everyone on here appears to be so concerned about:laugh:. hey...don't kill the messenger. just want to help out and make sure none of y'all get a surprise when deciding to tread the waters toward the PI for medicine:rolleyes:

but hey...don't take my words for it. check out the link for yourself: http://www.ust.edu.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=92&Itemid=46.

i dont know anything about that entrance exam. all i remember is a psychological exam & the interview.

good thing we didn't had that 6 yrs ago. hehe!

...just visited UST website and couldn't help come across the following EVERYTIME i'm there: "...US MCAT scores in lieu of UST Entrance Examination; MCAT however must not have been taken earlier than two (2) years prior to application":D.

and THIS quote just very much guarantees the contrary to what you just said:idea::
  1. Entrance exam will include values and aptitude for the innovative curriculum.
  2. Entrance exam and interview are essential parameters for admission.
don't mean to rain down on some of y'alls parade but i think the next few threads should be about this ENTRANCE EXAM instead of that NMAT everyone on here appears to be so concerned about:laugh:. hey...don't kill the messenger. just want to help out and make sure none of y'all get a surprise when deciding to tread the waters toward the PI for medicine:rolleyes:

but hey...don't take my words for it. check out the link for yourself: http://www.ust.edu.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=92&Itemid=46.
The FMS pages of UST's website is outdated..you can't really rely on it. ;) We weren't given any entrance exams or interviews before we were accepted this year (except some late applicants who were given a quick interview by the dean). They just based it on the NMAT percentile and college grades, I think.:thumbup::p

The FMS pages of UST's website is outdated..you can't really rely on it. ;) We weren't given any entrance exams or interviews before we were accepted this year (except some late applicants who were given a quick interview by the dean). They just based it on the NMAT percentile and college grades, I think.:thumbup::p

thank you! hey...so when do i know if UST has accepted my application to their medical program? i took the nmat this past nov 3, 2007. documents and applications already sent in. just like to know when to expect to hear from UST. plus, i'm here in the states. if i got accepted (or not), how will UST go about letting the applicants such as myself know? email? phone call? letter?

^ UST FMS releases the list of eligible applicants sometime between Feb-March of the ffing year. they post it outside the Dean's office.

^ UST FMS releases the list of eligible applicants sometime between Feb-March of the ffing year. they post it outside the Dean's office.

well...at the get-go...it already seems like it's not a very professional relationship forged between potential student and prestigious, private university with so much credentials and respect behind the name. i'd expect this kind of communication with small, no-name college behind the boonies of rural philippines. but for a supposedly #2 school in the country, this is the best they can do to upcoming, potential students considering enrolling to their university? what do they do with the $10,000 per head up front fee that they collect off of freshmens?

why not a courtesy email or letter? some applicants are coming from abroad, ya kno:D.

i dont know if they send courtesy emails/letters for foreign applicants. better call the admissions committee & ask them personally how foreign applicants are informed of their status.

if u have a relative here in Manila, maybe you should ask them a favor to visit the office & see if the results are already out. (just a suggestion)

if i were you, i wouldnt be surprised since i'm going into a medical school in a developing country (whatever the rank is). you wont expect the same system here as they do there in the US.