2018 ***The Official University of Iowa Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I have seen from this year and from a couple past years, to get an invite to Iowa as an out of state student you need to be applying in June and have a high GPA with at least their average DAT if not a little higher. They send out interview invites very early so spots just fill up for their OOS invites, and they gotta leave room for the in-state kids.

Was thinking of applying but after seeing this I'd assume it would be worthless given my stats. 19AA / 3.88 sGPA / 3.62 oGPA. o well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Was thinking of applying but after seeing this I'd assume it would be worthless given my stats. 19AA / 3.88 sGPA / 3.62 oGPA. o well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You will never know for sure until you try. You may have something everybody else just doesn't. Stats number is just one thing. Be positive and fight for your dream.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to Brilliance11 & Crithu. Life of Pablo is right "They're still actively inviting people." It is an encouragement to people who apply late and are still waiting for updates.
They'll extend invites through October, I finished my application in late August or early September last year (I don't remember the exact date) and received an interview invitation the day after I submitted. I had a friend who applied the cycle before me that finished their application in October and received an interview invitation, albeit a post December 1st interview. While I wouldn't recommend waiting this late to submit, I certainly wouldn't let said lateness deter you from applying.

Reactions: 1 user
Got placed on hold from Iowa. No interview nor rejection at this time.

Interview invite! OOS IL. Never expected the email on Sunday!

Good luck, guys and gals!

Reactions: 1 users
Got an invite on Sunday and scheduled the interview for October 13th, the earliest date left. I wish it was earlier but just glad to get an invite this year. I interviewed last year after sitting on the hold list for a few weeks, don't lose hope!

Got an invite on Sunday and scheduled the interview for October 13th, the earliest date left. I wish it was earlier but just glad to get an invite this year. I interviewed last year after sitting on the hold list for a few weeks, don't lose hope!

Looks like I'll see you there. Oct 13th :clap::clap:

Had to wait until my loans were generated for the semester before I could pick my date. I'll be interviewing Nov 10.

Just got an email saying I was deferred

Stats for future reference in case anyone wants to know
21 AA/19 TS/18 PAT/19 BIO/20 GC/23 OC/25 RC/19 QR
3.68 sGPA, 3.9 oGPA
FL resident

honestly you should always apply because you never know. Im out of state and my GPA is trash (~3.3) compared to their average and I got an interview for their first batch even thought I didn't expect to get one. I do think my DAT helped though 23/AA 24/TS. That being said I know I'm probably on the low end out of the pool of people who got interviews..... (unless they don't really care about stats after you get invited and just want to make sure your normal lol)

Does everybody get a deferred email if not given an interview? Also, do they ever go back and give interviews to the deferred pile?

Good luck to everyone who had interviews last week or in the upcoming weeks! Any tips you wish you would have known before going in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone who had interviews last week or in the upcoming weeks! Any tips you wish you would have known before going in?
Just be yourself! It's not as nerve-wracking as you might think.

Yeah, the interview was fairly conversational. And, they didn't really ask hard questions in the interviews. The 2 essay questions for the writing section were standard, also, and you had enough time to do them. Iowa City seems like a nice place, and the dental school is high quality.

Yeah, the interview was fairly conversational. And, they didn't really ask hard questions in the interviews. The 2 essay questions for the writing section were standard, also, and you had enough time to do them. Iowa City seems like a nice place, and the dental school is high quality.
Do you think the interview feedback on SDN was a helpful resource to prepare?

Do you think the interview feedback on SDN was a helpful resource to prepare?
I got one or two of the questions from what had been posted on that page so it was a little helpful. Know your answer to their supplemental question "Why Iowa" because they seemed to stress that topic a lot.

I got one or two of the questions from what had been posted on that page so it was a little helpful. Know your answer to their supplemental question "Why Iowa" because they seemed to stress that topic a lot.
Great, thanks!

Hey! For those that have had the interview already how was the writing portion? Was it super serious or......

For those that have already interviewed, what time did it start? My schedule says that it goes from ~11:45-4:30. It seems kind of late, since most interviews begin at around 8 or 9 in the morning.

Hey! For those that have had the interview already how was the writing portion? Was it super serious or......
It was 3 typical interview questions and you have to answer 2 of them. Nothing to stress about but also not something to blow off.
For those that have already interviewed, what time did it start? My schedule says that it goes from ~11:45-4:30. It seems kind of late, since most interviews begin at around 8 or 9 in the morning.
Mine started at 9am and went until about 2pm so yours is just later in the day.

Are you allowed to say what the essay questions were?

Are you allowed to say what the essay questions were?

I'm not sure haha but just know that they are normal, and you will start writing right away; you've probably already answered the questions before for applications to other schools

Hey whoevers interviewing tomorrow and is down to get dinner/drinks send me a message got nothing to do at the moment and am very hungry lol

Man I am just kicking myself and wish I had some patients! Iowa is my dream school to attend and I just wish they could see that and being out of state doesnt help! I have a 3.4 GPA and 21 DAT but over 1600 clinical experience and research experience at U of M's dental school!

Hey guys,
Does anyone know what the essay questions are based on?

My status on AADSAS changed to "Check Back Dec. 1st". I have no idea what this means but I find it kind of funny.

Mine changed too! I am trying to figure out what this means from past threads but I haven't found anything!

Iowa City is an amazing place to live. I have been here for four years and have fallen in love with this community. When you think of traditional Iowa, I promise you Iowa City is an anomaly.

Can someone tell me what the interview format is? MMI, One on one?

For those of you who have already had their interviews, how many people are interviewed each day?

Did anyone's decision status on AADSAS change to "None" for Iowa? I interviewed in September and I wasn't sure if anyone else had the same thing on their page!

Did anyone's decision status on AADSAS change to "None" for Iowa? I interviewed in September and I wasn't sure if anyone else had the same thing on their page!
Mine changed to "check back on December 1st". I interviewed in September as well. Don't know what it means.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

OOS Interview on November 10th! Any information on the interview style/type would be greatly appreciated. Also any tips for writing the essay portion of the interview I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks yall

Mine Also changed to none. I interviewed in October. For those whose status changed to check back December 1st, usually get accepted from what I have read in previous treads.

Mine changed to check back Dec 1 yesterday, interviewed Oct 13th. Darn, now I'm hopeful :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting: OOS

OOS Interview on November 10th! Any information on the interview style/type would be greatly appreciated. Also any tips for writing the essay portion of the interview I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks yall

Definitely check out their past interview questions on SDN. I was so glad I looked at them. The interview was the hardest one out of all my interviews (the questions just kept coming lol), but they were genuinely nice people, so that helped - 2 on 1, 15 min each for a total of 30 min (so 4 interviewers, 2 pairs). Essays were common interview questions, so I don't think you'll have a problem with them. Good luck!

Definitely check out their past interview questions on SDN. A fair # of them showed up in slightly different way but with the same theme. It was the hardest one out of all my interviews (the questions just kept coming lol), but they were genuinely nice people, so that helped. Essays were common interview questions, so I don't think you'll have a problem with them. Good luck!
How do I find these questions on SDN?

Essays are pretty basic- nothing to stress about and easy to write right one the spot. Interview is two, 2-on-1 interviews. Each interview has a theme. I got the feeling that one was more ethical based, the other more like your basic interview questions.

Does anyone have a hunch whether it's a good or bad sign to have your portal status change to "Check Back Dec 1st" over a month before decision day?

Received an interview invite. Anyone have any insight on the interview?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.