2018 **** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've had at least 6-8 interview days so far if I'm not mistaken. Also each interview is usually split into 8am and 10:30am. Each group is around 50-60 people. TBH 700 people pre-dec doesn't seem that unlikely...
I suspected it to be around 400 for pre-december, who knows man. At this point just make sure you maximize ur karma and hope for a call on dec 1st/2nd.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
People keep saying this but i've literally never heard it in person and at my interview. Not saying I don't believe you but that seems fairly high. Was it your interviewers who brought this up?
Lol, yeah it seems way too high to be realistic but during the student panel, one of the students had mentioned it.

Is it true that those with last names from like S-Z could get calls on the 2nd? I thought it wasn't alphabetical but I was looking at last years thread and saw quite a few from those letters get a call on the 2nd. Could just be a coincidence though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suspected it to be around 400 for pre-december, who knows man. At this point just make sure you maximize ur karma and hope for a call on dec 1st/2nd.

If its around 400 and lets say for sake of argument they accept 200 students, it's not too bad I guess..

Is it true that those with last names from like S-Z could get calls on the 2nd? I thought it wasn't alphabetical but I was looking at last years thread and saw quite a few from those letters get a call on the 2nd. Could just be a coincidence though.
Lol, it was definitely coincidence. They call people arbitrarily.

In the most recent ADEA Guide, the stats are as follows:
Total Applicants: 1,628

In-State Applicants
Total:
394 in-state applicants
Number interviewed: 228
Offers Made: 134

Out-of-State Applicants
Total:
914 out of state applicants
Number interviewed: 386
Offers Made: 159

So in total, they interviewed 614 people and sent out 293 offers for both pre/post-Dec that cycle.

This data doesn’t include international applicants/offers, of which there are many.

Reactions: 3 users

In-State Applicants
Total:
394 in-state applicants

Out-of-State Applicants
Total:

So in total, they interviewed 614 people and sent out 293 offers for both pre/post-Dec that cycle.

This data doesn’t include international applicants/offers, of which there are many.

Oh so out-of-state isn't considered international as well? That definitely adds another 20 students at least. Overall, not bad odds.

Reactions: 1 user

In-State Applicants
Total:
394 in-state applicants

Out-of-State Applicants
Total:

Yes these numbers look about right, considering internationals might be ~100 this would match up with what I said about ~700 interviewees, so thanks for sharing!

This still seems like a high number, especially compared to another school whose interview I attended which interviews maybe 400 people max. There was only one batch of ~40 students per interview day. Oh well. We can just hope and pray and try to be optimistic at this point, my anxiety is making me think negatively and the stats aren't helping :lame: I would really like to go to this school :(

Yes these numbers look about right, considering internationals might be ~100 this would match up with what I said about ~700 interviewees, so thanks for sharing!

This still seems like a high number, especially compared to another school whose interview I attended which interviews maybe 400 people max. There was only one batch of ~40 students per interview day. Oh well. We can just hope and pray and try to be optimistic at this point, my anxiety is making me think negatively and the stats aren't helping :lame: I would really like to go to this school :(
Have you considered sending a letter of intent?

Also, anyone knows what is the contribution of each part of the application with respect to the admissions decision? I'm not feeling too great about how my interview went...

what is a "letter of intent"
It’s pretty much writing to the school to show that you’re really interested in attending their school and to show that it’s your number one school of choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, anyone knows what is the contribution of each part of the application with respect to the admissions decision? I'm not feeling too great about how my interview went...
From what I’ve heard, the interview is the most important part. I’m sure you did fine. Most people critique themselves very harshly after interviews. No need to stress over it. Just relax and keep your phone on loud come December 1st.

From what I’ve heard, the interview is the most important part. I’m sure you did fine. Most people critique themselves very harshly after interviews. No need to stress over it. Just relax and keep your phone on loud come December 1st.
If interview is most important part then my chances take a hit, I'm relying on my decent stats and overall app (reco letters/PS etc) to get me in...

That’s not what i heard. I was told 60% app and 40% interview.

Hmm, I sent thank you emails to both of my interviewers, but I don't want to come across as impatient or annoying? I've heard that such letters are best if one gets waitlisted?

Hmm, I sent thank you emails to both of my interviewers, but I don't want to come across as impatient or annoying? I've heard that such letters are best if one gets waitlisted?
I sent the thank you e-mails the day following my interview, I'm going to leave it at that.

People keep saying this but i've literally never heard it in person and at my interview. Not saying I don't believe you but that seems fairly high. Was it your interviewers who brought this up?

heard it at mine too

I sent the thank you e-mails the day following my interview, I'm going to leave it at that.
Same. Also I'm in the same boat as you, feeling like I totally botched my interview :(

Same. Also I'm in the same boat as you, feeling like I totally botched my interview :(
Lol I feel I didn’t do so well on my interview also but it seems like a lot of us are feeling that way so I’m gonna assume 75% botched the interview in which case chances of acceptance are still high!!

You didn't get a reply after did you? Cuz I didn't. But I've heard this is normal.

Anyone else who interview not get 1 question about their application? Everything I got asked were generic questions. I thought they'd wana know more about me personally like my volunteering and research. Was a bit disapointed tbh as it felt a bit like a standardized interview, which is harder to stand out.

Anyone else who interview not get 1 question about their application? Everything I got asked were generic questions. I thought they'd wana know more about me personally like my volunteering and research. Was a bit disapointed tbh as it felt a bit like a standardized interview, which is harder to stand out.
I didn't get any questions regarding my app. Everything was generic and scripted. Question-answer-question-answer (it included 2 ethical Qs). At no point I felt like we were having a "conversion" as they typically say about the UDM interviews. Cold body language and seeming lack of engagement/interest threw me off.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't get any questions regarding my app. Everything was generic and scripted. Question-answer-question-answer (it included 2 ethical Qs). At no point I felt like we were having a "conversion" as they typically say about the UDM interviews. Cold body language and seeming lack of engagement/interest threw me off.
I got the same vibe. The beginning of my interview were questions directly about my app. Then they moved pretty quickly onto scripted Q&A like you mentioned.

Nice to know I wasn't the only one then. The countdown is on!

Exactly the same atmosphete for my interview. Lack of interest and engagement from one of the interviewers completely threw me off. Didn’t feel like a conversation. Asked me two questions about my application. Rest was scripted.

What is everyone’s aadsas status after the interview? Mine still says “invited for interview”

Same here. I don't think it is suppose to change before dec

There is no way a letter of intent actually works. They know you want to go to their school, and they have a ton of people on the waitlist, it’s not like they would have a hard time finding someone.

I’m not directing my post at you personally, but in general because I hear it a lot. Unless an adcom directly tells me that they have accepted someone that sent in a letter of intent, I don’t believe there is truth to that.

There is no way a letter of intent actually works. They know you want to go to their school, and they have a ton of people on the waitlist, it’s not like they would have a hard time finding someone.

I’m not directing my post at you personally, but in general because I hear it a lot. Unless an adcom directly tells me that they have accepted someone that sent in a letter of intent, I don’t believe there is truth to that.
Lol I believe it works based on my friends experience. He was wait listed at his state school and was offered acceptance at another school OOS so he wrote a letter of intent to the state school saying that he has an acceptance from another university but he doesn't want to put down the deposit because he's really interested in attending the state school and that he has couple weeks remaining to put down the deposit. He was offered acceptance from the state school few days later. It may be coincidence but i'm pretty sure his letter of intent is what got him in sooner rather than later.

for anyone who interviewed at UDM this fall, did they give you a notepad to write things down throughout the day or should i bring my own?

So you are saying letters of intent shouldn't be sent?

In-State Applicants
Total:
394 in-state applicants

Out-of-State Applicants
Total:

Why would they send 293 acceptance offers for only 144 seats?

A lot of people get accepted to their state school later on, or end up declining their acceptance for one reason or another.
^^^I second this
I know a lot of people love this school (me included) but I have met so many people applying to a lot of schools and if they get into more than one they have to choose. A lot of people who I met at UDM wanted to stay in state or go to UDM. Others are looking what the cheapest option will be for them.

I remember them telling us Dec. 2 was the day they would call. Am I wrong? Was it the 1st?

I remember Dr. Parent saying he'll call ~6AM EST on 12/1 and goes until he can't call anymore & will continue again 12/2.
I read on the old thread from last year, a lot of people got calls on the 2nd. I'm sure he calls December 1st as well because I remember him telling us how he isn't allow to extend invitations until the 1st.

So if we live in the EST time zone we need to be up bright and early?

I read on the old thread from last year, a lot of people got calls on the 2nd. I'm sure he calls December 1st as well because I remember him telling us how he isn't allow to extend invitations until the 1st.

So if we live in the EST time zone we need to be up bright and early?
Yup! I remember him saying he'll call on both days. I believe I read that they call somewhat in order from East Coast to West Coast based on residency but I could be wrong.

Do you guys think they'll call in the order of people interviewed?

December 1st is on Friday. So do yuo think they will be calling on Saturday as well which is Dec 2nd or postpone it to Monday Dec 4th?
Considering that UDM interviews on Saturdays (idk if they are doing interviews that particular Saturday but they do their interviews on Saturday in general) that's actually a really good question. I would hope that the calls would continue into Dec 2 despite it being a weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.