The Official September 18, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

litokhmaikid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where the rest of my September 18th homies at :laugh:? I just started Sn2ed's 4 month schedule (customized with some extra Kaplan material).

Members don't see this ad.

Alright so you only reviewed the ones you got wrong? Did you review from your notes or did you go back to the books? Also, did you do any extra passages in between? (god that sounds so suicidal). I was reading the July 12th thread, they got their scores back today damn... I'm not looking forward to that.
I reviewed all of them but of course I was a bit more interested in the one's I got wrong. I usually could tell whether it was a content flaw or an experience flaw and chose to go back to the book or do more passages based on either. Yea it's rough not knowing what you got. Hopefully I'll come here on the 25th saying I'm not taking this lol

Reactions: 1 user
Just did a Kaplan Section test for PS. got 62% on it... YEA I DEFINITELY NEED TO GET BACK ON THE GRIND!

Alright so you only reviewed the ones you got wrong? Did you review from your notes or did you go back to the books? Also, did you do any extra passages in between? (god that sounds so suicidal). I was reading the July 12th thread, they got their scores back today damn... I'm not looking forward to that.
I just went through that thread, quite a gloomy place...lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would any of you guys be interesting in taking an earlier date, Sept 6 1PM. I am trying to find a Sept 18 1PM for a location in the NYC boroughs/long island area.

Sorry, posted that before the thread had updated..was wondering if you were going to postpone.

Yeah, if I am given the opportunity, I will likely take it. I need 12 days if I can get it, feel rushed for the Sept. 6 exam in terms of doing practice.

Hey guys,
So I took the TPR Cracking test 1 recently and got a PS 13/VR 7/BS 15. How much do these TPR tests relate to real MCAT? Also, on the VR I found I had missed 5 out of 6 questions on a single passage, which was so abstruse that I could barely grasp the main idea or anything really even after reading and rereading it; I generally catch the overall main idea and remember the important claims being made for most passages. Can passages like these pop up on the real MCAT? And the questions weren't particularly easy for that passage either.
Also, in the little over a month time left for the 09/18, I plan on taking a FL every third day for the rest of August, then a FL every other day from Sep 1 to 11, and lastly a FL everyday from Sep. 13-15 with light practice on Sep. 16 and 17. Does this sound good? Also, do you recommend concentrating the practice AAMCs in the last couple weeks after getting a good workout from the TPR tests or spread the AAMCs out over the month?
I don't have much content review left and do some science passages every night; my biggest focus has been and will be for the month on improving the verbal, so I don't feel I'll get too burnt out by exam date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
So I took the TPR Cracking test 1 recently and got a PS 13/VR 7/BS 15. How much do these TPR tests relate to real MCAT? Also, on the VR I found I had missed 5 out of 6 questions on a single passage, which was so abstruse that I could barely grasp the main idea or anything really even after reading and rereading it; I generally catch the overall main idea and remember the important claims being made for most passages. Can passages like these pop up on the real MCAT? And the questions weren't particularly easy for that passage either.
Also, in the little over a month time left for the 09/18, I plan on taking a FL every third day for the rest of August, then a FL every other day from Sep 1 to 11, and lastly a FL everyday from Sep. 13-15 with light practice on Sep. 16 and 17. Does this sound good? Also, do you recommend concentrating the practice AAMCs in the last couple weeks after getting a good workout from the TPR tests or spread the AAMCs out over the month?
I don't have much content review left and do some science passages every night; my biggest focus has been and will be for the month on improving the verbal, so I don't feel I'll get too burnt out by exam date.
I think it's great you want to practice so much but I don't know if doing that many full lengths right before your exam (particularly 3 in a row) is a good idea. I would stick to the every other day/every 3rd day if you can and spend the following day reviewing/working on weaknesses (again, this is just what i've heard is a good idea, of course it's completely up to you. Can't speak to the other stuff since I'm using TBR materials. Hope this helps!

I reviewed all of them but of course I was a bit more interested in the one's I got wrong. I usually could tell whether it was a content flaw or an experience flaw and chose to go back to the book or do more passages based on either. Yea it's rough not knowing what you got. Hopefully I'll come here on the 25th saying I'm not taking this lol

Great method on separating content flaw mistakes and experience mistakes, I think I'll draw from that. As always thank you for sharing and hang in there for those scores! You're almost there!

Joining the party, switched my test date from 9/6 to 9/18.

Congratulations on getting your day switched and welcome to the club!
sounds like EVERYTHING was tough..makes me super nervous. finishing up content review this week then hitting up dem full lengths! LEGGO.

I'm kinda regretting going through that thread...there was a lot of disappointment and it hit my confidence a little. A lot of those folks were doing so well on their FLs and they just could reproduce them on test day...yikes! That would just break my soul.

Anyways, keep up the hard work y'all, we got this, or we can at least pretend like it?

Assuming other people are doing SN2 schedule... how is everyone doing coming out of content review and doing on their first practice tests? Took AAMC 3 and 4 and got a little worried since I'm a little ways off from cracking a 35+ . Hopefully heavy post-game analysis and staying optimistic and determined will pay off by 09/18!

Haven't taken any yet - will be doing so starting this weekend! Nervous...

How do people find the diff resources for verbal? I finished all of TPR and Kaplan and am about halfway through EK 101 and it's killing me! I was doing so so well on TPR and Kaplan and my scores have just plummeted with EK. Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Ok guys/gals, I need your advice. I was originally scheduled to take the 8/27 exam but due to family/life/work being unexpectedly crazy my studying was really sporadic. So I decide to postpone until this date 9/18 to give myself more time for practice and review. Well all was fine until half the people at my job quit (I work for a small EMS company) and now I'm working 50-60hrs a week 6 days a week covering shifts and training the new medics. On top of being a dad and husband, hence the reason I have to work to support my family. I feel like I just don't have enough time to be ready for 9/18 but I really want just get this godforsaken exam over. Should I just suck it up and take the exam so I can focus on keeping my grades up this semester and possibly not score well or go the safe route and wait until winter in which if I still don't do well only the new mcat will be available????????? <- this is how I feel right now.

Ok guys/gals, I need your advice. I was originally scheduled to take the 8/27 exam but due to family/life/workbeing unexpectedly crazy my studying was really sporadic. So I decide to postpone until this date 9/18 to give myself more time for practice and review. Well all was fine until half the people at my job quit (I work for a small EMS company) and now I'm working 50-60hrs a week 6 days a week covering shifts and training the new medics. On top of being a dad and husband, hence the reason I have to work to support my family. I feel like I just don't have enough time to be ready for 9/18 but I really want just get this godforsaken exam over. Should I just suck it up and take the exam so I can focus on keeping my grades up this semester and possibly not score well or go the safe route and wait until winter in which if I still don't do well only the new mcat will be availability????????? <- this is how I feel right now.

Focus on grades and take the new MCAT. That is my insight, you have a lot on your plate.

Ok guys/gals, I need your advice. I was originally scheduled to take the 8/27 exam but due to family/life/work being unexpectedly crazy my studying was really sporadic. So I decide to postpone until this date 9/18 to give myself more time for practice and review. Well all was fine until half the people at my job quit (I work for a small EMS company) and now I'm working 50-60hrs a week 6 days a week covering shifts and training the new medics. On top of being a dad and husband, hence the reason I have to work to support my family. I feel like I just don't have enough time to be ready for 9/18 but I really want just get this godforsaken exam over. Should I just suck it up and take the exam so I can focus on keeping my grades up this semester and possibly not score well or go the safe route and wait until winter in which if I still don't do well only the new mcat will be available????????? <- this is how I feel right now.

In my opinion, you should NOT rush it, but you REALLY won't want to take the newer, longer MCAT. I believe the current exam is offered till Jan. 23, so sign up for a date in Jan; you can study 1-2 hours a day over a very long time period (5 months if you take Jan test). During EMS shifts, from my experience you get a lot of down time while waiting for calls - perfect for content review, doing FSQs, and practice passages. On your day off take FLs. Try to minimize your work responsibilities (I'm sure someone else from the half that did stay can take over the training of new recruits) and take as few courses as possible (and i mean no more than 2), unless they are pre-reqs.

Just curious what's everyone's accuracy on TBR science passages? I feel like they are a bit easier (except for Bio) than/similar difficulty as TPRH ones.

I agree with Brown knight. You do not want to rush to take this exam and risk a bad score, there's no need for that. Of course it's your choice if you want to take the new MCAT, however, I believe that it will be a lot less stress and an easier route of preparation to take the current exam. What I suggest you do is sit down, and make your self a schedule, one that YOU CAN STICK TO for the next 4-5 months, to help you prepare for the January exam. Be realistic with what you will be able to handle in terms of courses this semester, work, MCAT prep, and just being a family man. It can be done! Hang in there and stay positive!

Hey guys... I'm seriously considering postponing my exam to a November or January one. The reasoning for this is because I don't get my scores form the July 24th test until the 25th of this month, leaving me with about 20 days to study for the September exam. If I did well on the July Exam ( FINGERS CROSSED) then I'm done with this exam. If not I would need to get my scores up 3 to 4 points atleast and I don't think I would be able to do that until the exam. I'm taking a gap year so I have until next May to get my application ready. What are your thoughts. Feeling a little like a failure :/

Hey guys... I'm seriously considering postponing my exam to a November or January one. The reasoning for this is because I don't get my scores form the July 24th test until the 25th of this month, leaving me with about 20 days to study for the September exam. If I did well on the July Exam ( FINGERS CROSSED) then I'm done with this exam. If not I would need to get my scores up 3 to 4 points atleast and I don't think I would be able to do that until the exam. I'm taking a gap year so I have until next May to get my application ready. What are your thoughts. Feeling a little like a failure :/

I would simply advise you to wait till you get your scores, but realize that the Gold Zone deadline for Sep. 18 is Aug. 19, so you'll be paying twice the rescheduling fee.

I think November would be good so you get a bit of a break from the material yet it's still fresh enough so you can get quite a bit of time to practice. Also leaves you substantial time during your gap year to do something productive to add to your application. You'll definitely kill it! But I hope you don't have to retake at all! BTW what were your AAMC practice test scores like? (if you are okay with sharing of course).

I would simply advise you to wait till you get your scores, but realize that the Gold Zone deadline for Sep. 18 is Aug. 19, so you'll be paying twice the rescheduling fee.
Yea im trying to figure out how to work the deadlines haha

I think November would be good so you get a bit of a break from the material yet it's still fresh enough so you can get quite a bit of time to practice. Also leaves you substantial time during your gap year to do something productive to add to your application. You'll definitely kill it! But I hope you don't have to retake at all! BTW what were your AAMC practice test scores like? (if you are okay with sharing of course).
Thanks! I'll be here commenting and helping out for sure. Hope I can hype a few of you up for me getting my scores next week lmao.

My AAMC FL went something like : 28-30-28-29-30-32-32-32

Hey guys,

thats an amazing PS/BS what are you using? I think your in a really good spot, 1 whole month doing FL's has to be more than enough. I think taking AAMC's within 3 weeks of the testdate is crucial, i wouldnt use those up too early. If you need more material, I'd throw in SA questions

Haven't taken any yet - will be doing so starting this weekend! Nervous...

How do people find the diff resources for verbal? I finished all of TPR and Kaplan and am about halfway through EK 101 and it's killing me! I was doing so so well on TPR and Kaplan and my scores have just plummeted with EK. Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

kinda opposite, i alternated with EK and TPRH and would do better on EK, EK seems more basic, but sometimes their questions/solutions are just dumb logic, personally think TPRH is better. I am running out of verbal practice so im doing 2 a day instead of 3, not going to bother with SA verbal, the AAMC should be enough.

For anyone on SN2 3month schedule have you noticed OCHEM Chapter 8 is not in the schedule??? AM i just not seeing it, isn't it important to know? Also has anyone noticed they are doing better on 1st 1/3 passages now than before..like comparing the first month of studying when 4-5/7 is normal on passages, and this month its been 6-7/7. im wondering if ive gotten used to TBR questions or if its because the earlier material was harder, I'm not sure.

thats an amazing PS/BS what are you using? I think your in a really good spot, 1 whole month doing FL's has to be more than enough. I think taking AAMC's within 3 weeks of the testdate is crucial, i wouldnt use those up too early. If you need more material, I'd throw in SA questions

Thanks for the advice! I felt I hadn't had enough FLs, so this makes me feel better. I was lucky to get access to TBR books and other practice material from my friend, but I've used TPR mainly for content review and bits from TBR. I also feel my chem major classes and some bio electives help, but certainly not to a great extent.

kinda opposite, i alternated with EK and TPRH and would do better on EK, EK seems more basic, but sometimes their questions/solutions are just dumb logic, personally think TPRH is better. I am running out of verbal practice so im doing 2 a day instead of 3, not going to bother with SA verbal, the AAMC should be enough.

For anyone on SN2 3month schedule have you noticed OCHEM Chapter 8 is not in the schedule??? AM i just not seeing it, isn't it important to know? Also has anyone noticed they are doing better on 1st 1/3 passages now than before..like comparing the first month of studying when 4-5/7 is normal on passages, and this month its been 6-7/7. im wondering if ive gotten used to TBR questions or if its because the earlier material was harder, I'm not sure.

The O-chem chapter is there, it's just postponed a bit towards the later ends of the other chapters because there's only 8 chapters of ochem vs. 10 chapters of the other subjects. I think the purpose of this was to make sure we're not unexposed to ochem for a longer period of time, so the schedule re-introduces the last chapter a bit later on. Definitely go over it I think it's one of the more important chapters since the MCAT is largely experimental. That's great you've improved! It depends on the subject matter for me, I tend to do better on chemistry than physics, average on O-chem and have been using TPR for biology (which I'm doing much better on compared to TBR - TBR bio is so hard). But generally an upward trend for sure. A lot of it is getting your mind into thinking the way the testmakers are thinking, so practice definitely helps with that! I think I'm going to stick to AAMC materials and go back and redo princeton verbal questions and see how I do.

The O-chem chapter is there, it's just postponed a bit towards the later ends of the other chapters because there's only 8 chapters of ochem vs. 10 chapters of the other subjects. I think the purpose of this was to make sure we're not unexposed to ochem for a longer period of time, so the schedule re-introduces the last chapter a bit later on. Definitely go over it I think it's one of the more important chapters since the MCAT is largely experimental. That's great you've improved! It depends on the subject matter for me, I tend to do better on chemistry than physics, average on O-chem and have been using TPR for biology (which I'm doing much better on compared to TBR - TBR bio is so hard). But generally an upward trend for sure. A lot of it is getting your mind into thinking the way the testmakers are thinking, so practice definitely helps with that! I think I'm going to stick to AAMC materials and go back and redo princeton verbal questions and see how I do.

do you know what day on the schedule it is/or week, i actually cannot see it at all. ive become way too dependent on this schedule obviously lol...

has anyone started aamc/fl i still have like 6 few days till im done content review, and wondered when a good time to do SA would be, before after FL, and also if anyone has ever used verbal SA and found them useful, im thinking if im going to spend any more money itll have to be on PS and BS.

Also does anyone else do better on TBR than on EK1001, i do and its confusing to me cause TBR should be harder. i think i just rush cause i want to get it over with and the solutions are so pointless half the time.

Thanks! I'll be here commenting and helping out for sure. Hope I can hype a few of you up for me getting my scores next week lmao.

My AAMC FL went something like : 28-30-28-29-30-32-32-32

I hope you're hanging in there Danny! We all got your back ;)

do you know what day on the schedule it is/or week, i actually cannot see it at all. ive become way too dependent on this schedule obviously lol...

has anyone started aamc/fl i still have like 6 few days till im done content review, and wondered when a good time to do SA would be, before after FL, and also if anyone has ever used verbal SA and found them useful, im thinking if im going to spend any more money itll have to be on PS and BS.
Day 54: BR Physics Chapter #10 + 1/3
Day 55: Break
Day 56: BR Gen Chem Chapter #10 + 1/3
Day 57: BR O-Chem Chapter #8 + 1/3
Day 58: Re-read chapters + EK 1001 + EK Bio In-class exam
Day 59: Complete second 1/3 of BR passages
Day 60: Break

There you go! I have taken 1 full length so far, and do the self assessments in between full length days as extra practice. Also - welcome to all the new people who just signed up! We're gonna kill this test.